Is Yahoo always this bad? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Yahoo always this bad?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Yahoo always this bad?

Postby cubbieball10 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:27 pm

The box score for the Marlins/Phillies games has an A. Gonzalez playing 3rd base. His profile picture is definitely Luis Gonzalez's, his player bio is definitely Luis Gonzalez's. I checked at ESPN.com. Definitely not a a family resemblance between Andy and Luis. (Andy is from Puerto Rico). Get it together Yahoo.
cubbieball10
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Yahoo always this bad?

Postby Ursa » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:33 pm

Gotta smile about it or you'll go mad. Some pitcher called Undefined was playing in three games at once tonight.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:51 am

Ursa wrote:Gotta smile about it or you'll go mad. Some pitcher called Undefined was playing in three games at once tonight.

I'd actually recommend a flier on Undefined. He provides good value in most categories.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Ursa » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:35 am

Last night Undefined relieved Undefined. If I can snag this guy, I could get a win, a hold and a save out of him in the same game.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:38 pm

how does yahoo go about doing stuff for each game? is there one person per game to write out whats going on like play by play/boxscore/ect? or is it done automaticaly with computers or something?
last night i remember checking the boxscore during the game for Tampa Bay and when Randy Choate came in to relieve James Shields, the boxscore said Randy Choate relieves Randy Choate.

EDIT: many times this season as the night goes on the yahoo scoreboard becomes slower and slower sometimes 15-20 minutes (or longer) behind actual real time.. but last night i was surprised as the night went on late yahoo scoreboard was actually right on time. well on time as they could be.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 102)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:19 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:how does yahoo go about doing stuff for each game? is there one person per game to write out whats going on like play by play/boxscore/ect? or is it done automaticaly with computers or something?
last night i remember checking the boxscore during the game for Tampa Bay and when Randy Choate came in to relieve James Shields, the boxscore said Randy Choate relieves Randy Choate.

EDIT: many times this season as the night goes on the yahoo scoreboard becomes slower and slower sometimes 15-20 minutes (or longer) behind actual real time.. but last night i was surprised as the night went on late yahoo scoreboard was actually right on time. well on time as they could be.

It's gotta be computerized, I would think.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby cubbieball10 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:08 pm

I think they use computers for the information, but they're only effective as the hamsters who power them.
cubbieball10
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:20 pm

this is from the current Phillies game.
- J. Rollins tripled to deep left center
- S. Victorino grounded into fielder's choice, J. Rollins out at home
- S. Victorino to second, C. Utley to first on pitcher A. Miller's throwing error
- C. Utley flied out to deep center

apparently Utley took 1st base on an error. :-b
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 102)

Postby Cobra_Kai » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:44 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:how does yahoo go about doing stuff for each game? is there one person per game to write out whats going on like play by play/boxscore/ect? or is it done automaticaly with computers or something?

No, Yahoo has certainly hired a revolving staff of 18 or so to methodically type in information from every baseball game as it happens. And when the baseball season conflicts with the NBA and NHL, or with the NFL, they need like 50-60 guys just to type game logs. And man, when ESPN is covering NFL, NBA, NHL, College Football, and College Basketball all at once, they employ an army of 380 trained monkeys to sit there and peck out the details of every single game that's happening.

Or maybe it's a computer. And maybe sometimes computers slow down or confuse things. But no, that couldn't be it.
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ursa » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:27 pm

Andruw Jones just homered for TX, according to Yahoo. Which is fine except...........he didn't.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers