Another Icon Gone - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Another Icon Gone

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Another Icon Gone

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:19 am

Art Vandelay wrote:I think it has less to do with that, and more to do with the fact that a 92-year-old dying isn't exactly "news." His death has been expected for some time. Plus he died at the absolute worst time in the news cycle if you're looking for a lot of coverage.

It's possible I'm letting my personal beef with modern media bias my analysis of the situation, but I doubt it. I'm sure I'm being completely agenda-free and rational here. Really. O:-)

:-b
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:25 am

I'm not just said that he's dead. I loathe that a probable child molester gets a $2M concert commemorating his death, while Kronkite's passing will almost assuredly be forgot by the major media by... yesterday.

:-C :-t
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:04 pm

Metroid wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I think it has less to do with that, and more to do with the fact that a 92-year-old dying isn't exactly "news." His death has been expected for some time. Plus he died at the absolute worst time in the news cycle if you're looking for a lot of coverage.

Also being 92 most of the people of his generation who knew him well are already gone. I mean I'm 33 and can say I knew who he was but it's not like I grew up watching him on the tube. There should have been more coverage but I'm not really surprised there wasn't.

It definitly doesn't help that a large percentage of today's news audience, though they probably know who he is, aren't familiar with his work or just how much of an impact he had on broadcast journalism.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk