Why is nobody talkin' about Joe Blanton? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is nobody talkin' about Joe Blanton?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why is nobody talkin' about Joe Blanton?

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:17 pm

I realize that even the most mediocre pitchers get on a hot streak once in a while, but I'm kind of intrigued right now by Joe Blanton, because he has never been a strike-out pitcher and all of a sudden this year he's got 11-K and 10-K games to his credit, and has 103 IP/91 K. He also seems to be keeping the walks down lately and 7 of his last 9 starts have been quality starts with a few of them being absolute gems.

The flipside to this is that through 5/21 of this year, he was lousy... he got pounded in 5 of his first 8 starts and even walked 6 in a game vs. the Nats.

Does anyone out there know if he changed his approach, or what the reason is behind his current success? I've never seen him pitch or anything, so I don't know what kind of stuff he throws. He is a free agent in my 12-team mixed league and not sure how much longer he'll be available, and I bet he's available in most 10-teamers. I know he pitches in Philly, which makes a fantasy owner nervous, but obviously he won't be hurting for run support and if he keeps up his current trend, he could be a real diamond in the rough #4-6 starter for your fantasy squad. Blanton is also 28 years old, so maybe he's just getting it all figured out.

Thoughts?
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why is nobody talkin' about Joe Blanton?

Postby daullaz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:46 pm

I wrote about him over at FanHouse for my Stream Team series:

http://fantasybaseball.fanhouse.com/200 ... m-july-10/
http://fantasybaseball.fanhouse.com/200 ... -july-5th/

He'll be my pick again today for tomorrow's start. That July 5th article sums up my thoughts on the guy.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:54 pm

Joe Blanton has cost me more money than any other pitcher in the history of Major League Baseball. I hate him.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby thejusman1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:16 pm

I've been tempted to pick him up as well, especially after his stretch of quality starts recently. I just feel like the moment I do he's going to derail again and give up 6 earned in 4 innings or something. He has always had a pretty low K rate, I would also be interested if he's developed an "out-pitch" for wracking up Ks this season (7.93 K/9) or if this is just a fluke and we can expect a regression back to his normal rate (5.05 K/9 in 2008, 5.48 K/9 in 2007).
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:48 pm

I mentioned him as a second half sleeper in my Double Dipper article on June 27th:

Joe Blanton
It’s easy to take a glance at Blanton’s 5.06 ERA or even his 4.86 FIP and move onto the next guy, but looking a little deeper into his 2009 season shows a potential sleeper underneath those ugly numbers. For example, over his last six starts Blanton has racked up 40 strikeouts in 39.1 innings while posting a 2.75 ERA and 1.14 WHIP. Also of note is Blanton’s 16.7% HR/FB which is almost assuredly a fluke and should drop down to the 9-10% range. It doesn’t appear that Blanton has been that unlucky, however, as a career high LD% and career low GB% has lead to quite a few hits, but his career high K rate and solid walk numbers lessen those concerns. Overall, Blanton looks poised to put together a solid second half and could have significant value if he can keep striking hitters out at his current rate.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2009/tips_doubledipper062709.php
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Ender » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:27 am

There is nothing in his pitch values to suggest the K rate is for real. Picking him up off the FA list is fine but I certainly wouldn't target him in a trade.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:24 am

Ender wrote:There is nothing in his pitch values to suggest the K rate is for real. Picking him up off the FA list is fine but I certainly wouldn't target him in a trade.

he's only owned in 19% of leagues (11% when i wrote the article). i don't think anyone is suggesting that you should move a piece worth anything in a trade, just that he's available in a lot of leagues and if you have a roster spot he's worth picking up.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:40 am

What's a "pitch value"? I know it's a real stat, but not sure what it means.

Yeah, it's kind of funny, even with 7 of 9 quality starts and a couple of double-digit K games, there sure are a lot of naysayers. I'll tell you he's the only guy available on waivers right now in my league with those kinds of numbers and usually when a pitcher gets into a rhythm like that his name is brought up here and on Rotoworld, etc. but I haven't seen anything.

Edwin Jackson was similarly maligned a few months ago, and now he's having a breakthrough season. I realize E-Jax and Blanton aren't the same type of pitcher, but with Blanton only being 28 years old, it may be that he's turned a corner... unless of course there's something I don't know about pitch values that indicates otherwise. :-D

Look, I'm not saying the guy is the second coming of Cy Young, but when you're trying to decide between him, Zach Duke and Chris Volstad, you gotta do some trend-spotting.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:09 am

Here's some of the analysis I was looking for... granted, it's from 2004 but I'd forgotten that he was such a highly-regarded prospect at one time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=1840642

Background
Joe Blanton was drafted in the first round in 2002, 24th overall, from the University of Kentucky. A member of the famous "Moneyball" prospect class, so far he's had the best run of professional success. Blanton was erratic in college, dominating at times, but occasionally struggling with his mechanics and command. He's put things together quickly in pro ball, however, and is now one of the top pitching prospects in the game. His name has come up in trade rumors, but so far Oakland has resisted the temptation to part with him.

Scouting report
Blanton relied mostly on his fastball in college, and it's a good one, timed as high as 96 mph, though more usually in the 91-93 range. The pitch has movement to go with velocity, and he is adept at working either corner of the plate with it. Blanton's curve was decent in college, and he's improved it as a pro. It is now a big-time strikeout pitch, especially when he mixes it well with the fastball. He also has a slider and changeup, both of which have improved considerably over the last year. Put it together, and Blanton features a solid four-pitch arsenal. While Blanton's mechanics gave him trouble in the past, he's smoothed them out considerably, helping his command. He isn't especially athletic, and has to watch his weight. He has a good dose of confidence in his makeup, though he sometimes overthrows in tight situations, trying to overpower the hitter. His stuff has enough natural movement that he doesn't have to do that. Blanton keeps the ball down, and is not overly vulnerable to the home run.

Performance
Nothing to complain about here. Blanton's K/BB and K/IP were extremely impressive last year in both Class A and Double-A. He's been a bit more hittable this year in Triple-A, but that is normal, and his ratios remain strong considering the high-offense context of the Pacific Coast League. His home run ratio is quite low, a strong positive marker. He pitched a scoreless inning in the All-Star Futures Game last Sunday.

Health record
So far, Blanton has had no serious health problems, and looks like he might develop into a solid inning-eater. The main worry is mechanical consistency. His delivery has been cleaned up, but still looks somewhat stressful. So far, it hasn't resulted in any critical problems. His generally good command helps him from running up big pitch counts, and Oakland has handled him carefully. Blanton has to work to keep extra weight off his body, which tends to pick up poundage a bit too easily.

What to expect
Many teams have asked about Blanton in trade talks, but so far Oakland has refused to budge. If that remains true, Blanton should get a full shot at the Athletics rotation next spring. He is very close to being ready for Major League action, basically just needing some additional experience and refinement to his pitch sequences. He gets into a rut occasionally, over-using one or two pitches. When he uses his entire arsenal, he can dominate a game.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers