Mat Latos - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mat Latos

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mat Latos

Postby Padres Fan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:28 pm

The Padres are calling him up for a start on Sunday against the Rockies, he has not pitched above AA ball. The bad news is Colorado is a great offensive team, the good news is it's at Petco, how do you think he will fair?
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mat Latos

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:34 pm

I think he's worth monitoring in deeper leagues, and NL only - but he's just so raw. As a result, I won't be using him as a spot start on Sunday. It wouldn't surprise me if he went 6IP 2ER and a ND, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he gets shelled for 6 runs in 2 2/3IP.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:39 pm

A 6+ K/BB ratio between A and AA is ;-D, but he's only 21 and has compiled only 47 IP above A ball. Give him a couple more years in the minors and he'll be worth a long look, but for now I'm staying away.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Padres Fan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:58 pm

I just hope he is one of the Padres prospects that ends up any good, the last homegrown one we had is Jake Paevy (drafted in 2001), I hate the Pads scouting department, I feel Headley is a 4th OF at best and Kyle Blanks seems to much like Pat Burrell to me.
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Vitreous » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:02 pm

I picked him up about a month ago and have been following him pretty closely.
He has a high ground ball to fly ratio which is good and at least 2/3 of his pitches are strikes.
He usually gets pulled after 5 or 6 innings, even when he is at 80 pitches or less.

They are going to monitor his inning and pitch count very closely, even more than Detroit does with Porcello, because of past injury. I think he is good enough to stick for the next 6 weeks and then will be shut down in the beginning of September.
Vitreous
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:08 pm

Padres Fan wrote:The Padres are calling him up for a start on Sunday against the Rockies, he has not pitched above AA ball. The bad news is Colorado is a great offensive team, the good news is it's at Petco, how do you think he will fair?

I wouldn't call Colorado a great offensive team. They're 8th in the MLB in Runs scored and 6th in Team OPS, both of which are very nice, but keep in mind the game is in Petco. On the Road the Rockies drop to 13th in Runs scored and 14th in Team OPS, much more average. Then you factor in that Petco is a friggin' golf course, and that Latos doesn't hurt himself with walks (at least he hasn't in the minors) and suddenly it's not so scary. I don't know that I'd trot a guy out there in his first Major League start unless it's excessively deep or NL Only, but I wouldn't let the fact that he's facing the Rockies be the deciding factor. After all, he'll never have the benefit of facing the league's worst offense, unfortunately.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Vitreous » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:16 pm

The best example of how closely they monitor Latos is his last start on July 9.
He pitched 5 perfect innings. He faced 15 men, striking out 7 and got 7 ground balls, only 1 ball hit in the air. He threw a total of 58 pitches, 42 of them for strikes.

YET, he did NOT come out to pitch the 6th inning.
Vitreous
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby hot4tx » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:10 am

Padres Fan wrote:I just hope he is one of the Padres prospects that ends up any good, the last homegrown one we had is Jake Paevy (drafted in 2001), I hate the Pads scouting department, I feel Headley is a 4th OF at best and Kyle Blanks seems to much like Pat Burrell to me.

Cry me a river. The Rangers have never had an elite homegrown pitcher. Ever. 1972. Ever. They've had some pitchers that became elite after they were traded, but not here. Ever. 1972. 37 years. !+) !+) :,-( :~(
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Padres Fan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:45 am

hot4tx wrote:
Padres Fan wrote:I just hope he is one of the Padres prospects that ends up any good, the last homegrown one we had is Jake Paevy (drafted in 2001), I hate the Pads scouting department, I feel Headley is a 4th OF at best and Kyle Blanks seems to much like Pat Burrell to me.

Cry me a river. The Rangers have never had an elite homegrown pitcher. Ever. 1972. Ever. They've had some pitchers that became elite after they were traded, but not here. Ever. 1972. 37 years. !+) !+) :,-( :~(

But at least the Rangerss has a good enough scouting department to crank out great hitters
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:59 am

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero