Beltran - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Beltran

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Beltran

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:37 am

Is he even worth having on a dl spot anymore?

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TurdFerguson » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:48 pm

I would say no...I think its very doubtful that you see him again this year unfortunately..
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:42 pm

If you have the DL spot, why not? Unless you have someone else to put on it. I'd say it is practically to that point, though, and not likely that he is going to play the rest of the season. But I'd wait for the official word if you can. Just hate to be the one who dropped Beltran too early, and then he ends up playing.

Max
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MicelliGamblingIQ » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:10 pm

TurdFerguson wrote:I would say no...I think its very doubtful that you see him again this year unfortunately..

IMO, this is horrible advice
MicelliGamblingIQ
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bazzy_51 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:29 pm

MicelliGamblingIQ wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:I would say no...I think its very doubtful that you see him again this year unfortunately..

Exactly how is that horrible advice? the person originally asking the question hasn't said if he needs the DL spot or not, in a redraft league Beltran has virtually zero value because there is a much, MUCH better then 50/50 chance (i would say more along the lines of 90/10) that Beltran is done for the year. if you remember back Marcus Giles (at that time 2B for the Braves) had this very similar issue and actually just talked with Beltran this past week and advised Beltran to just shut it down and get healthy for the start of next year, rather then pushing it coming back less then 100% and re-injuring the knee, again, like Giles did essentially ending his career. Add to it the fact that the Mets are 10.5 GB in the NL East and 10 GB in the Wildcard im thinking they are ready to pack it in on not only Beltran but also Reyes and have them 100% healthy and 100% ready to go for the start of next year. And just one more factor, not that everyone didn't already know, but keep in mind that this isn't the first or second time Beltran has been on the shelf with this same knee its been multiple times.

like for the Giles to Beltran talks:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/613 ... JEMPKFCLcF

my recommendation if you can't find someone dumb enough to trade away any value for him, then its a safe bet to dump him and add value off the WW.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:13 am

MicelliGamblingIQ wrote:

It might be horrible advice... ONLY if the person asking does not have any1 to assume the DL spot. But if you are infact in the hunt for the playoffs and have a DL player that needs stashing and need to add some1 off waivers, then it is not horrible advice. The key here is, do you need the DL spot? If so, then dump him. If you dont need it, then keep him there, it cant hurt.
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jealousblues » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:31 pm

Just in case people didnt see this
Id like to hear what the results are

Mon, Aug 17

Beltran (bone bruise in right knee) ran straight ahead at distances of 30, 60 and 90 feet Monday. He next could advance to running first to third, the NY Daily News' Mets blog reports.

Recommendation: This activity comes on the heels of Beltran shagging fly balls on consecutive days this past weekend. While the Mets and Beltran would be smart to shut him down, it appears as if he will try and return this season.
(Rotowire.com)

Mon, Aug 17

CF Carlos Beltran, who has a bone bruise of the right knee, ran straight ahead at distances of 30, 60 and 90 feet Monday at Citi Field. His next step is to run first-to-third. Beltran then must play in minor-league rehab games before being activated from the disabled list.
(Yahoo! Sports)

Sat, Aug 15

CF Carlos Beltran shagged fly balls in the outfield at Citi Field before Friday's Mets-Giants game. Beltran, who is suffering from a bone bruise in his right knee, still is optimistic he will return this season. Beltran hopes to repeat the shagging exercise Saturday before advancing to testing the knee by running the bases.
(Yahoo! Sports)
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:21 pm

...While the Mets and Beltran would be smart to shut him down...
(Rotowire.com)

Sounds like the Mets and Beltran are not being smart. Well, if he does make it back, might as well enjoy the benefits as a fantasy owner. Considering that he played all the season he has played with the same injury, there is no reason to believe he won't do good once he gets back in there... even if he does ruin his knee in the process.

Max
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bazzy_51 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:45 pm

wow did not see this coming but... hold your breath:

Carlos Beltran was activated from the DL for the start tonight against Vanden Hurk and the Marlins. So far is 0-1 with a K, batting cleanup.

Boxscore Link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=290908121

activation link:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 44&id=2706

bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:14 pm

well a day after making his return apparently Beltran hurt his ankle. I'm trying to find a link but not having much success yet. The game is still going on against Florida and there is nothing in the boxscore on yahoo yet about him leaving the game.

Only reason i know about this, or heard about it, is I'm watching the Yankee/Ray game on ESPN and the announcers just said something about it. Quoted "Beltran left the game today after coming back 1 game ago with a sprained or strained ankle." Check into this all you can if you have started using Beltran in your lineup again, could be simple or more complex cuz as I said they said he left the game with it. I'll keep trying to run down a link once it comes up...

Mets just can't catch a break this year...

bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates