100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

totalled my car

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: totalled my car

Postby markj11 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:14 pm

acsguitar wrote:
markj11 wrote:Glad no one was hurt.

I found a burger under my seat when I was cleaning out my stuff while doing a trade in.

After I graduated college I went to Ft. Lauderdale to visit my brother and on the way to the Keys one morning an old couple turned in front of us at an intersection and we hit them square at 50MPH killing the guy in the passenger seat. I was the only one in the car wearing a seat belt and ended up getting hurt the worst. My brother and his girl friend were saved by the air bags. The paramedics for some reason could not believe that was wearing a seat belt in the back seat.

I ended up staying in Ft. Lauderdale for a month because I was too sore ;-) .

Holy crap...

It looked like a McDonalds burger and I never eat McDonalds.

EDIT: just remembered what I got for trade in value of that car(the one with the burger)...new belts on the car I was buying.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Thankfully I've never totaled my car and I've done some reckless things with the cars I've driven in the past (i.e. drifting, driving half-drunk). I do remember my first drive when I was 15 vividly though as my first big-time fail. I had gone 60MPH on a residential street and my Dad being a nervous wreck told me just not to use the gas pedal (still in a secluded residential area at say, 8 AM). I made a right turn, not using the gas, and I lost control of the car. I put my foot on the gas lightly without realizing the right front wheel was on the sidewalk and it took me by surprise that the right side of the car was on the sidewalk. I had gone say about 10 yards in that angled position until finally crashing into a fire hydrant. Ugh, so embarrassing. Had to reverse all the way back to the intersection, to the opposite lane and onto the appropriate side, before realizing the front right wheel was running flat. Well, at least I did learn something about that experience, changing a tire. :-b Besides that and a small dent on the front fender, the car made out OK. :-°
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:30 am

So I had some very good news yesterday. My insurance company is giving me 25% more than what my car was worth and the injured parties are claiming soft tissue damage only (which means no broken bones, internal bleeding, permanent damage, etc). I felt really guilty and am really glad that they are ok. :-°
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:55 am

I'm glad that seems to be working out for you. Nobody is attentive 100% of the time, and it sucks that in that split second you took your attention away from the road, you got screwed. We've all been really close to that, it just bit you this time.

Good luck getting everything back together. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:32 am

Yeah that's great news man, I'm happy there is some small silver lining in this as far as the car is concerned. More importantly I'm glad no one was seriously injured.

Are you already looking for a car? Or are you hoping to buy back and fix your old car?
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:20 pm

Thanks for the kind words. The shop owner wanted me to get the salvage for the car and then sell it to him for a few hundred bucks but I decided to just let it go. I just want to forget about the whole thing and move forward.

I considered doing the cash for clunkers program but the Acura gets 20 MPG average so it didn't qualify (need to be 18 MPG or less).
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Carnac » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:14 am

Good to see no one hurt.

Good luck with your car shopping.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager