totalled my car - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

totalled my car

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: totalled my car

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:37 am

Sorry to hear about the wreck.

I've been accident free for about 15 years and in the past year I've been in 3. :-[ None of them my fault. Rear-ended by a garbage truck, drunk kid turned in front of me and side-swiped by someone. Real bad luck and in each case I've wasted a full day at the crash scene and dealing with insurance. Huge pain in the butt.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:12 am

I've been in two accidents where the car was totaled - one my fault, one I was a passenger in. Both were pretty serious accidents, and I was lucky enough to walk away from both with minor injuries.

It really sucks that your car is wrecked, and that you'll have to deal with insurance and money issues and everything. But you've got your health, and the other folks involved are healthy, too, and that's the most important thing. Insurance will sort itself out and you'll get out from under the cash burden, but if your body is wrecked you're screwed.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:59 pm

Glad you are safe!

This reminds me of this time in high school I got stoned and went and got some wendy's and the light turned green and I thought that was the signal for me to reach down for a declicious french fry and step on the gas. Unfortunately the guy in front of me must have thought it was time to get a delicious french fry and not step on the gas and so I rear ended him at the outstanding speed of .5 MPH. Luckily he must have seen that I was about ready to enjoy a delicious bacon cheeseburger and fry's so he said he'd just get my license plate and number and call me back if his bumper fell off. It left 0 marks on my car or his car. However, I think I probably dropped the fry and I'll never have that back :(
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:18 pm

You probably don't want that fry anymore anyway, head to Wendy's today for lunch for a new fry. ;-D

I rolled a car before. I lost control on I-5 late in the evening after a car cut me off. I swerved off the road from the left lane across the right, barely missing being hit by a semi, hit the embankment, barrel rolled 3 times, and went end over end twice before landing on the wheels. As soon as I landed I was trying to start the car and my buddy was like "what the hell are you doing?" and I was like, "we gotta get outa here!" But the car wouldn't start....which is probably a good thing, I doubt I would have gotten too far with only 3 tires, all of which were flat. The roof was so caved in it looked like a Lamborghini, and the steering wheel was folded in half like a taco. My buddy and I had some pretty big bumps on our heads but otherwise we were fine.

The funny thing is it was April Fools Day and I was heading to Cali to a friends party, when I called and told them I wasn't coming they all laughed and said "April Fools!" and hung up....they figured out the next day I wasn't kidding.

The un-funny this is it wasn't my car, it was my roommates girlfriends car.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:32 pm

Metroid wrote:I rolled a car before. I lost control on I-5 late in the evening after a car cut me off. I swerved off the road from the left lane across the right, barely missing being hit by a semi, hit the embankment, barrel rolled 3 times, and went end over end twice before landing on the wheels. As soon as I landed I was trying to start the car and my buddy was like "what the hell are you doing?" and I was like, "we gotta get outa here!" But the car wouldn't start....which is probably a good thing, I doubt I would have gotten too far with only 3 tires, all of which were flat. The roof was so caved in it looked like a Lamborghini, and the steering wheel was folded in half like a taco. My buddy and I had some pretty big bumps on our heads but otherwise we were fine.

Reminds me of something similar. I was coming home from school behind some really slow car on a two lane highway. We get to the top of the overpass and I didn't see any cars coming so I get out to pass and there was a semi. I jerked the car back into the right lane but we started swerving all over the road, jumping from lane to lane. I went off the right side of the road about 40 yards into the field and the car did a complete 180 by the time we finally stopped. I turned to my friend riding with me and we didn't say a word. Both of us were white as sheets and still wrapping our heads around what just happened and what could have happened. After about 30 seconds that seems like 30 days I started the car back up and we were able to drive right out of the field. I think I drove 45 the rest of the way home. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:35 pm

I did one time hit my friend and my wife in their car when they decided to try to make a turn into a non turn lane and then stopped and tried to turn back into traffic.

Needless to say I turned the corner not expecting a moron driver to be merging from a non turn lane at 2 mph into a turn lane all stupid like (My friend was driving and she's AWFUL) and I hit her Dads 60k Audi at like 35 mph and demolished the trunk.

The sad thing was it was my fault since I rear ended her even though she literally stopped her car in the middle of a major road when she couldn't figure out turn lanes
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:48 pm

acsguitar wrote:Glad you are safe!

This reminds me of this time in high school I got stoned and went and got some wendy's and the light turned green and I thought that was the signal for me to reach down for a declicious french fry and step on the gas. Unfortunately the guy in front of me must have thought it was time to get a delicious french fry and not step on the gas and so I rear ended him at the outstanding speed of .5 MPH. Luckily he must have seen that I was about ready to enjoy a delicious bacon cheeseburger and fry's so he said he'd just get my license plate and number and call me back if his bumper fell off. It left 0 marks on my car or his car. However, I think I probably dropped the fry and I'll never have that back :(

reminds me of a nice young, drunk and stupid story (NOTE: i dont endorse trying this at home kids). anyway, my buddy and i were at a party, drinking, and wanted food...well, this started because we were making fat jokes about a girl, i was saying how we should get some Tubby's, or maybe Blimpie (nudge, nudge). Idiot says he could go for some Subway and i gave him that look like that Virgin Mary picture with her hand on her head. anyway, it did get me thinking it was time for food, so we decided to go for some Taco Bell, and of course figured it would be a good idea to take our cups of beer with us, so we hopped in his Lynx. all was going good, but then we run into a long line at Taco Bell...no big deal, i still have my beer. so when it's our turn to order, they tell us they've run out of meat and it will be 30 minutes...i mean WTF, SRLSY, you ran out of meat? anyway, there are several cars in front of us and we are way too impatient to wait, so he decides to put it in reverse and gun it out of there, right into one of those big yellow poles that are there for people not to run into. i saw what was going to happen, but all i could muster was an "uh..." before he nailed it, showering us with beer. so we drive back home, empty handed, and get asked if it's raining? nope...that would be the beer. best part was when we were leaving the next day i pulled down his visor and got a little trickle of beer fell out. thankfully nobody was hurt

oh yeah, we ended up raiding the freezer for fried food...
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:52 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Glad you are safe!

reminds me of a nice young, drunk and stupid story (NOTE: i dont endorse trying this at home kids). anyway, my buddy and i were at a party, drinking, and wanted food...well, this started because we were making fat jokes about a girl, i was saying how we should get some Tubby's, or maybe Blimpie (nudge, nudge). Idiot says he could go for some Subway and i gave him that look like that Virgin Mary picture with her hand on her head. anyway, it did get me thinking it was time for food, so we decided to go for some Taco Bell, and of course figured it would be a good idea to take our cups of beer with us, so we hopped in his Lynx. all was going good, but then we run into a long line at Taco Bell...no big deal, i still have my beer. so when it's our turn to order, they tell us they've run out of meat and it will be 30 minutes...i mean WTF, SRLSY, you ran out of meat? anyway, there are several cars in front of us and we are way too impatient to wait, so he decides to put it in reverse and gun it out of there, right into one of those big yellow poles that are there for people not to run into. i saw what was going to happen, but all i could muster was an "uh..." before he nailed it, showering us with beer. so we drive back home, empty handed, and get asked if it's raining? nope...that would be the beer. best part was when we were leaving the next day i pulled down his visor and got a little trickle of beer fell out. thankfully nobody was hurt

oh yeah, we ended up raiding the freezer for fried food...

Reminds me of the time in College I decided to borrow my roomates car at 4AM to go to the all night hardees or something. Waited in like 20 minutes and ran out of gas in line. Had to walk home
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby markj11 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:43 pm

Glad no one was hurt.

I found a burger under my seat when I was cleaning out my stuff while doing a trade in.

After I graduated college I went to Ft. Lauderdale to visit my brother and on the way to the Keys one morning an old couple turned in front of us at an intersection and we hit them square at 50MPH killing the guy in the passenger seat. I was the only one in the car wearing a seat belt and ended up getting hurt the worst. My brother and his girl friend were saved by the air bags. The paramedics for some reason could not believe that was wearing a seat belt in the back seat.

I ended up staying in Ft. Lauderdale for a month because I was too sore ;-) .
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:01 pm

markj11 wrote:Glad no one was hurt.

I found a burger under my seat when I was cleaning out my stuff while doing a trade in.

After I graduated college I went to Ft. Lauderdale to visit my brother and on the way to the Keys one morning an old couple turned in front of us at an intersection and we hit them square at 50MPH killing the guy in the passenger seat. I was the only one in the car wearing a seat belt and ended up getting hurt the worst. My brother and his girl friend were saved by the air bags. The paramedics for some reason could not believe that was wearing a seat belt in the back seat.

I ended up staying in Ft. Lauderdale for a month because I was too sore ;-) .

Holy crap...
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk