totalled my car - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

totalled my car

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

totalled my car

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:37 pm

Yep, I looked down for a split second on stop and go traffic on the highway... Pushed the car in front in the an 18 wheeler but thankfully no serious injuries (the couple in front was taken to the hospital but they were walking with no bleeding, etc).

Took my car to the shop on Saturday and heard just a few minutes ago that they totaled it: 2001 Acura CL worth $7100 median range MV and the repairs appx $7200.

Waiting for the adjuster to call on what they are going to offer me for replacement. Any advice would be appreciated. :-/
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: totalled my car

Postby CadensDad » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:42 pm

Just to clarify, the accident was your fault? Also what insurance company do you have?

Don't play "hardball" with your own company too much. They can stick it to you when you go to renew your policy.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Metroid » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:24 pm

Yoda wrote:Any advice would be appreciated. :-/

Yeah keep your eyes on the road.

Sorry I couldn't help myself. :-D

What Cadens said...if it is your fault be careful trying to "get paid" from your company, just take what they give you.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:39 pm

glad to hear your OK (and everyone else) but you gotta pay attention

i'd also go with Take What They Give you stance...although i'm pretty sure penalties/non-penalties for an "at fault" accident very by state...i think in Michigan At Fault = you pay the deductible, Not Your Fault = deductible waived

my guess is you get shafted on the replacement though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:27 pm

Farmers is pretty good so I don't think they'll shaft me. I will try to get the max value for the replacement and also try to retain the car. I spoke to the shop owner and he thinks we can work something out to salvage it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigken117 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:29 pm

Texting while driving FTL! :-b

Sorry...you're lucky you hit 18 wheeler and if you smashed your ride for $7200 you should be glad your still walking. Got any pics of the damage? No advice, the only time I totaled my car I was 16. That was a long time ago :-/

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby CadensDad » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:41 pm

bigken117 wrote:Texting while driving FTL! :-b

Sorry...you're lucky you hit 18 wheeler and if you smashed your ride for $7200 you should be glad your still walking. Got any pics of the damage? No advice, the only time I totaled my car I was 16. That was a long time ago :-/

Yea pix would be awesome so we can point and laugh at you

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:22 pm

Glad to hear you weren't injured.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:57 pm

my sister just totaled her car as well....honestly, in some cases, its best that they consider it totaled as opposed to fixing the damages (say $6000 worth in your case)..then a few months down the line, some other stuff goes wrong thats related and youre on the hook for it. more than likely they wont give you what you think the car is worth, but i guess youre lucky you had full insurance or you'd get diddly.

definitely glad to see you're ok though.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:05 am

Any wreck can be pretty jarring. Glad to hear no one got hurt.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Next

Return to General Talk