How is Lackey? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How is Lackey?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How is Lackey?

Postby skjelstrom » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Im trying to acquire him, but im not sure how he is playing and if it will be worth it. His last start looked good, but up until then he was struggling terribly. Is he back to his normal self for the rest of the season? What can we expect from him the remainder of the season?
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How is Lackey?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Hmmm...Lackey hasn't really been laboring as much as you might be led to believe:

Last 6 starts: 41.2 IP, 3 W, 43 K, 3.67 ERA, 1.34 WHIP

Granted his ERA and WHIP aren't too impressive, there was one start against Texas where he wasn't quite as good as opposed to his five other quality starts where he was going 7-8 innings deep. Still, it's nice to see his strikeout rate recover a bit and he's been baiting more batters into bad pitches compared to last year (30.6% O-Swing). I think what's changed this year is he's throwing more of his slider than he ever has and hence, that might be the reason as to why he's getting more whiffs outside of the zone. He's still yielding a bit too many line drives (a problem last year), but the good news is his velocity is up a bit from where it was in '08.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby skjelstrom » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:23 pm

So do you predict he will be a solid, must start, for the remainder of the season? I know he can be solid but are his injury risks behind him?

Would it be worth it to retrieve him and give up either Damon or Kubel?
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 94)

Postby thejusman1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Lackey's fine. He came off injury last year and nearly competed for the Cy Young. His teammate Ervin, however, is a different story... that kid is serving up straight BP whenever he takes the mound.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:37 am

I've had Lackey all year in my h2h league and he's been hit or miss. The major problem is that when he's been a "miss", he's missed really bad. In roto, he's less of a risk as his numbers, as posted above, will pan out over the course of the season.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby wildbill » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:48 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:Hmmm...Lackey hasn't really been laboring as much as you might be led to believe:

Granted his ERA and WHIP aren't too impressive, there was one start against Texas where he wasn't quite as good as opposed to his five other quality starts where he was going 7-8 innings deep. Still, it's nice to see his strikeout rate recover a bit and he's been baiting more batters into bad pitches compared to last year (30.6% O-Swing). I think what's changed this year is he's throwing more of his slider than he ever has and hence, that might be the reason as to why he's getting more whiffs outside of the zone. He's still yielding a bit too many line drives (a problem last year), but the good news is his velocity is up a bit from where it was in '08.

Lackey's career numbers against Texas are pretty bad so that rather poor outing was predictable and why I benched him that start. Take out the start vs Texas and his ERA in the other 5 starts is 2.68. As long as you don't start him vs Texas, where the odds of getting burned are pretty good, you should be fine using him.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:55 am

wasnt his last start of 08 against texas too? and he gave up like 10 runs, right?

man i bet that destroyed a lot of teams last year. on sept 26. it probably cost some teams the championship.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:50 am

wildbill wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Hmmm...Lackey hasn't really been laboring as much as you might be led to believe:

Lackey's career numbers against Texas are pretty bad so that rather poor outing was predictable and why I benched him that start. Take out the start vs Texas and his ERA in the other 5 starts is 2.68. As long as you don't start him vs Texas, where the odds of getting burned are pretty good, you should be fine using him.

Yeah, his career numbers against TEX are terrible. I also sat him for that game.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby NorthSider2 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:17 pm

pretty good
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor