Streaming vs. Spot Starting is there a difference? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Streaming vs. Spot Starting is there a difference?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Streaming vs. Spot Starting is there a difference?

Postby Polar Bear » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:02 am

This is something I have wondered for awhile.

I play in a very competitive H2H league with no moves limit. However the settings are very hard on streamers, yet it still happens because streaming is like smoking crack. there has not been one team that has used streaming effectively long term. The rosters are so deep that there is very little left on the wire to stream. The only category that it helps you in consistently is Ks.

However, I have been very successful this year in spot starting. I may spot start 1 or 2 pitchers throughout the entire week, purely based on matchup. I would say I have a 70% success rate. Some weeks I won't spot start at all because I don't need it.

Right now my league is embroiled in a debate over streaming. I'm sure every league without moves limits has this debate. It is a keeper league and some want to change settings. Many are pushing back on this since they built teams according to the settings we have right now. I really don't care what happens because I have been successful with or without streaming or spot starting. I don't want change, but I am confident in being able to adjust. Anyways, I have received quite a bit of criticism since spot starting has been a very successful strategy for me this year. My pitching staff is very good without spot starting, which is why I am able to do it effectively. These guys can complain all they want to as far as I am concerned and I am going to continue to do it. I am much too competitive to care about being labeled a cheater if it is within the rules.

Anyways, I don't want to get into an ethics debate, that is for the commish forum. But is there a different between Spot Starting and Streaming? I always believed streamers were players who would churn 1-5 pitchers daily, every day. When I spot start I may pick up that pitcher for not only that start but for a few others if his matchups are good. I kept Vargas for 3 weeks because his matchups were great and he was solid for me. Same thing goes for Pavano and a few others. I spot started Feldman a month ago and he still remains on my team because he has been so solid and I don't want to give him up. I usually keep the guys for a week after the spot start, occasionally I do dump them right after the start, but I have only done that twice.

Is what I am doing streaming? I'm not going to stop regardless if it is or not; I just want clarification.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Streaming vs. Spot Starting is there a difference?

Postby Bloody Sox » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:55 am

Spot Starting and Streaming are 100% completely different - to say that picking up a guy to pitch for you the next day because he has a favorable match-up is streaming is absurd. Streaming is exactly as you describe it - just grabbing as many guys as you can to try to take the Wins and Ks categories and then hope you take Saves as well to win 3 of 5 pitching categories.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:06 am

What you are doing sounds more like spot starting provided you aren't taking an arm every day to start. At any rate, if your league has a problem with it, all they need to do is create a transaction limit next season and voila, problem solved. Hell, they could even just make it a weekly limit.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:08 am

Huge difference. Streaming sucks. I like Spot Starting as well. Joel Pinerio, baby!
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:09 am

Polar Bear wrote:Anyways, I don't want to get into an ethics debate, that is for the commish forum. But is there a different between Spot Starting and Streaming? I always believed streamers were players who would churn 1-5 pitchers daily, every day. When I spot start I may pick up that pitcher for not only that start but for a few others if his matchups are good. I kept Vargas for 3 weeks because his matchups were great and he was solid for me. Same thing goes for Pavano and a few others. I spot started Feldman a month ago and he still remains on my team because he has been so solid and I don't want to give him up. I usually keep the guys for a week after the spot start, occasionally I do dump them right after the start, but I have only done that twice.

Is what I am doing streaming? I'm not going to stop regardless if it is or not; I just want clarification.

You're correct, and what you're doing should be perfectly acceptable.

Streaming is what some owners do towards the end of the week by grabbing as many pitchers as possible so that they can win K's and W's. (Then just dropping said pitchers shortly thereafter).

Spot starting is just being selective about when to use your pitchers. Running out all of your pitchers for every start is almost always a bad idea. Why would your league be pissed about how you use your own pitchers? It'd be foolish to start pitchers in matchups where the odds are against them. If you're active and disciplined enough to identify favorable matchups and to avoid unfavorable ones then more power to ya.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Polar Bear » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:49 pm

Alright, thanks for the input. I thought what I was doing was different and you guys confirmed it, unless someone thinks differently that hasn't posted yet.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:12 pm

all H2H leagues are asking for it when it comes to streaming if there are no other rules to prevent it.

some leagues go weekly lineups to avoid this.

but imo, there will always be problems with H2H no matter what. like a guy who drafts good closers and relievers can often win S,ERA,WHIP without starting a single guy.

join roto. ;-D :-D
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Merlin401 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:42 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:all H2H leagues are asking for it when it comes to streaming if there are no other rules to prevent it.

but imo, there will always be problems with H2H no matter what. like a guy who drafts good closers and relievers can often win S,ERA,WHIP without starting a single guy.

But that is the fun of H2H. The different strategies each and every week instead of the boring churn of roto day after day ;)

But that aside.

If you're picking up pitchers and dropping them before they've started... you're likely streaming and no one really likes that.

If you pick up a guy because he seems to have promise, sometimes you throw them back; sometimes you keep them... thats called, eh... fantasy baseball management right there.

I'm the same as you: an effective spot-starter, but now I've clogged my lineup with guys I've just held onto (Baker, de la rosa, davis...)
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby fezzik » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:52 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:all H2H leagues are asking for it when it comes to streaming if there are no other rules to prevent it.

H2H weekly lineups is definitely a very good option, especially if it's a league where some of the managers aren't as fanatical as you...perhaps four teams are run by n00bish managers. This simulates roto much better and stops a lot of the cheaper daily H2H tactics.

Transaction limits only work to a degree, especially a season cap. Weekly limits would work best IMO.

The last option is to add a category which would hurt streamers such as L's...but L's is a pretty weak category and devalues SPs in general to a degree.

I enjoy the constant one v. one battles of H2H, but I also appreciate the pureness of roto. Overall I've enjoyed H2H more, but that might be because I've never been able to find a roto league where more than 50% of the teams stay active...that's including cafe leagues. ;-)

In regard to the OP's question, I'm in agreement with those who have posted. If you play one to three matchups during the week, I consider it spot starting. If you're getting 5+ extra starts during the week, I would consider it streaming. ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Polar Bear » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:52 am

Well like I said earlier, I have not seen one person use this strategy successful. It is only a last ditch effort to snag Ks, but you basically punt all the percentage categories when you do it. Also the rosters are so deep that there is no guarantee that you will take Ws. I spot start. The guys I pick up I don't intend to keep for the full season, but I do intend to keep them for their upcoming matchups. When Vargas goes up against the Yankees he gets released. if you want to kill streaming or punish those who do it, then make sure a league has ERA, WHIP, BAA or OBPA. or any other percentage category.

The problem with weekly lineups is that when an offensive player gets injured you can't do anything about them. Losses punishes good pitchers on bad teams. We have a 30 IP minimum so guys can't do the reliever deal.

This is a very competitive league so everyone is active. I have never been involved in a league with so many trades going on. 3 way deals, trading picks for 2 or 3 years down the road...its crazy, but fun. It was already pointed out, but every team looks different and matches up differently. Different strategy every week it seems.

I do participate in roto leagues as well...they are OK, but I started with H2H which is where I caught the fantasy baseball fever so that is probably why I don't get into roto that much.
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers