Mauer agrees to do Home Run Derby? WTF - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mauer agrees to do Home Run Derby? WTF

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mauer agrees to do Home Run Derby? WTF

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:04 pm

Padres Fan wrote:True Bobby Abreu hurt his swing after his winng HR Derby show, I don't think its wise for him to play, but I guess they need some start power cuz players like A-Roid and Pujols won't do it. Maybe MLB offered him some sort of bonus cash to play just to get fans interested.

pujols is doing it
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:17 am

Home Run Derby Curse vs Madden Curse...who wins :-?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:59 pm

Actually, wasn't there some study done last year disproving the HR Derby jinx? One of the ESPN guys I think.

In Mauer's case, I'd be concerned not because of a jinx, but rather that he's had back issues.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby WhipperSnappers44 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:42 pm

Hahahahahahaha.....you all are killing me with this crap!!!

First off.....to all the people who are whinning about Mauer's "Back issues"??? Let's see....Yes, he did have back issues that promoted a late season start for him.....and Yes, he had issues the first couple to few weeks of the season with his back......However, wasn't when he first started playing (and with his back all jacked up) that he had been hitting the long balls??? Now that his back is getting better his HR count has lowered but his Avg. still remains. This being said, maybe the Derby will twist his back a few more ways so that after the break he starts getting his HR swing back!!!! :-D

Next........anyone who agrees that Mauer won't pop out at least 5 more bombs within the rest of the season then Please.....Oh please.....give me your credentials so that we can get some sort of bets going!!! This guy has all the tools and has shown us all that he is the real deal in AVG. and in poppin a few out of the park so, I think the main issue of his HR decline has been his motivation to do so and I feel that letting him in the HR Derby will give him the confidence (as well as a little practice/adjustment) so when he get's back to regular games he is hitting them out again. (My money is on him hitting the first one within the first or second game back.....mark my words)!!!

Side note - Sure, anyone in the Derby will put strain on their bodies but after watching the derby for a while I have noticed that in the past couple years players have taken it less serious as usual so I don't really see Mauer going out there and crackin the ball as hard as he can just to win if he feels a twinge in his back! (I would think he would lay off and let someone else take the prize)

Finally......I have Mauer, Inge and Cruz on 1 team alone so none of them better get injured/reinjured during this crap!!!...lol

so.......everyone that feels like this is a stupid idea then just wait and you'll see that this Cafe posting was all for nothing!

Let's enjoy the festivities!!!

WhipperSnappers44!! ;-D

My Team: (12 Team H2H 10CAT 5X5 Non-Keeper)

J.Mauer, R.Howard, I.Kinsler, R.Zimmerman, M.Tejada, N.Cruz, A.Lind, B.Inge, A.Hill (Bench-J.Votto, J.Ellsbury, N.Markakis)
R.Nolasco, J.Verlander, R.Romero, S.Kazmir, M.Garza, T.Hanson, K.Slowley(DL), M.Rivera, M.Caps, G.Sherrill
10Team/H2H/Redraft/10 CAT
C-Santana
1B-E5
2B-Hill
3B-Longo
SS-HanRam
LF-Jennings/CF-AJax/RF-Bautista
Util-Bruce/Util-Zob
Bench-Gardner/Young/C.Gom/Braun(DL)
SP-CC/Kuroda/Corbin/Latos/Moore/Cole/Ryu/Liriano/Masterson/Maholm
Lackey/Sanchez(DL)..RP-J.Johnson
WhipperSnappers44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Padres Fan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:46 pm

I think Mauer will hit more than 5 homeruns after the break, and he is my Keeper for next season (The only catcher that will put up consitent numbers year in and out , with maybe the exception of the power surge, Russ Martin and Brian McCann hasn't even been able to do that)
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Maris09 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:36 pm

WhipperSnappers44 wrote:First off.....to all the people who are whinning about Mauer's "Back issues"??? Let's see....Yes, he did have back issues that promoted a late season start for him.....and Yes, he had issues the first couple to few weeks of the season with his back......

His back issues have dated much further back than the beginning of this season.

WhipperSnappers44 wrote:I feel that letting him in the HR Derby will give him the confidence (as well as a little practice/adjustment) so when he get's back to regular games he is hitting them out again.

Possibly the stupidest thing I've read on this board on a long while.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:47 pm

WhipperSnappers44 wrote:
Next........anyone who agrees that Mauer won't pop out at least 5 more bombs within the rest of the season then Please.....Oh please.

im just quoting what his numbers have been in the past following the all star break.
2008 1st- 5 HR
2008 2nd- 4 HR
2007 1st- 4 HR
2007 2nd- 3 HR
2006 1st- 7 HR
2006 2nd- 6 HR
2005 1st- 6 HR
2005 2nd- 3 HR

maybe he gets 5+ to finish with 20+ but id bet everything i own(well not really) he doesnt hit another 15+ to end up with 30+ the way some were talking earlier in the season.

Mauer is still only 26 years old and just entering his prime years. prior to this season his career high in HR was 13 in 2006. if he stays healthy i wouldnt be surprised to see him continually put up around 15-18 HR a season, but i just dont see him getting 20+ HR on a continuous basis.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 101)

Postby Padres Fan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:51 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:
WhipperSnappers44 wrote:
Next........anyone who agrees that Mauer won't pop out at least 5 more bombs within the rest of the season then Please.....Oh please.

im just quoting what his numbers have been in the past following the all star break.
2008 1st- 5 HR
2008 2nd- 4 HR
2007 1st- 4 HR
2007 2nd- 3 HR
2006 1st- 7 HR
2006 2nd- 6 HR
2005 1st- 6 HR
2005 2nd- 3 HR

maybe he gets 5+ to finish with 20+ but id bet everything i own(well not really) he doesnt hit another 15+ to end up with 30+ the way some were talking earlier in the season.

Mauer is still only 26 years old and just entering his prime years. prior to this season his career high in HR was 13 in 2006. if he stays healthy i wouldnt be surprised to see him continually put up around 15-18 HR a season, but i just dont see him getting 20+ HR on a continuous basis.

.300+ BA 15-20 hrs and 5-15 steals, would make him the no.1 fantasy baseball catcher
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby thejusman1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:13 pm

WhipperSnappers44 wrote:I feel that letting him in the HR Derby will give him the confidence (as well as a little practice/adjustment) so when he get's back to regular games he is hitting them out again.

Possibly the stupidest thing I've read on this board on a long while.

It's not the stupidest, but it's up there.
Last edited by thejusman1 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby skjelstrom » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:30 pm

The HR Derby does not always mean a lack of power in the second half. Actually it can help some players gain a better swing and improve their power numbers significantly.

Example: Ryan Howard, winner of the 2006 HR Derby.

2006 Pre-All Star Stats: .278/.341/.582
2006 Post-All Star Stats: .355/.509/.751

Im not saying this happens all the time but it kind of disproves the whole curse and the fact that the Derby ruins your swing...
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 103)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers