What a joke - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What a joke

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What a joke

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:15 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:It's not uncommon for people to "sell" alcohol and cigarettes for foodstamps. Generally how it works is the cashier will take $30 in food stamps for $15 worth of beer and cigarettes, then the cashier himself will pay for the beer and cigs and keep the food stamps to use on actual food.

urbanbreez wrote:I knew a kid at my college that got food stamps throughout the whole thing, in addition to all the government aid he was getting in the form of school grants. He dressed up like a bum -- seriously, he did -- and went into the food stamp office complaining of starvation and hunger pains. Call it what you want but he ate like a King while all I could manage was Top Ramen. At the very least, it was enterprising.

JT, you're definitely right. 2 examples of abuse of the system while others legitimately in need can't qualify. Good to see my taxes going to these lovely human beings...

:-t
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:41 pm

First off I'll prereq this by saying; System abusers suck.

And now....

It's funny how conservatives hate social programs to give food to the poor. They hate having to feed a poor mother and her 5 children who are on welfare. YET they refuse to acknowledge the need for Birth Control or Abortion. So mom keeps having kids and keeps using tax funded programs. Interesting there.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby knapplc » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:44 pm

acsguitar wrote:It's funny how conservatives hate social programs to give food to the poor. They hate having to feed a poor mother and her 5 children who are on welfare. YET they refuse to acknowledge the need for Birth Control or Abortion. So mom keeps having kids and keeps using tax funded programs. Interesting there.

That's to say that if such programs were available that these "welfare moms" would use them. If they're producing these children to use as welfare money makers, why would they use birth control?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:48 pm

knapplc wrote:
acsguitar wrote:It's funny how conservatives hate social programs to give food to the poor. They hate having to feed a poor mother and her 5 children who are on welfare. YET they refuse to acknowledge the need for Birth Control or Abortion. So mom keeps having kids and keeps using tax funded programs. Interesting there.

That's to say that if such programs were available that these "welfare moms" would use them. If they're producing these children to use as welfare money makers, why would they use birth control?

Well it all starts at a young age. Programs aren't just "Abort or Wrap it up" they are also social programs that teach in school the benefits of condoms, or the benefits of abstinence, or give out condoms or free birth control.

It's the same thing with the whole Vaccinations for HPV which SHOULD be an unbelievably exciting medical breakthrough. The Conservatives don't want to get their kids vaccinated because they think it promotes sex. I guess I shouldn't say just the conservatives as many people who think Jenny McCarthy is some sort of medical guru think the same thing.

I'm just saying you can't have it both ways. You can't let people rot on the street and then complain when someone breaks into your home to steal your TV.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:49 pm

acsguitar wrote:First off I'll prereq this by saying; System abusers suck.

And now....

It's funny how conservatives hate social programs to give food to the poor. They hate having to feed a poor mother and her 5 children who are on welfare. YET they refuse to acknowledge the need for Birth Control or Abortion. So mom keeps having kids and keeps using tax funded programs. Interesting there.

Come on now, who does this? Who hates giving food to the poor? And who's against birth control? Really, anyone you know? I don't know anyone like that. Satan maybe. Hitler probably.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby JTWood » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:04 pm

And now....

You know as well as I do that the complaint with welfare isn't that it's welfare. It's that the system doesn't appear able to prevent abuse and even seems to allow for circumstances where people can stay on it for extraordinarily long periods of time. The extremists even think this is done intentionally to keep people dependent on the party that promotes welfare.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:09 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:

And now....

Come on now, who does this? Who hates giving food to the poor? And who's against birth control? Really, anyone you know? I don't know anyone like that. Satan maybe. Hitler probably.

Alot of people are against birth control...see sarah palin thread
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:02 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

And now....

Alot of people are against birth control...see sarah palin thread

I missed it I guess. Palin's against birth control? I have a hard time believing that and might suggest that was made up. I seriously don't know anyone against birth control. Why or what reason would there be against the use of birth control?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:26 pm

The entire Catholic church is against birth control.

Why is it hard to believe a politician would be when nominal Catholics make up 25% of the registered electorate?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby urbanbreez » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:27 pm

Catholics are against birth control as a general rule.

Edit: you beat me to it. :-b
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk