What a joke - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What a joke

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What a joke

Postby jfg » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:47 pm

I've never been a person to accept government handouts but right now I'm in a place where I need something. My wife is just out of law school and unemployed with no real leads on jobs despite applying for a lot. So together, we're bringing in my 12.35 salary a month with a lot of other things happening as well money-wise. Awesome. So, I decided after going to the grocery store tonight and after seeing how little I can get with the money I have, to look into food stamps. As it turns out, making what equates to two people making minimum wage isn't enough to qualify- not even close. I've never asked for a government handout once in my life- not even for college and when I need one I can't get one. Maybe I should have a kid to qualify or quit my job and work at McDonalds. What a joke.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What a joke

Postby JTWood » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:37 pm

Sorry to hear about the rough times, man.

What part of the country do you live in?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby jfg » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:43 pm

I live in MN.

I don't know, I guess I'm kind of glad that it's hard to get it, but I have big issues with the fact that having kids is the best way to get on government programs. It encourages people to pop out kids and raise them in poverty. My parents are both teachers and half of their students are on the free lunch program.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 pm

Sorry you're going through a rough time, jfg. I hope it's not a long cycle of economic trouble for you. Good luck, and here's hoping she finds something soon.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:58 pm

jfg wrote:I live in MN.

I don't know, I guess I'm kind of glad that it's hard to get it, but I have big issues with the fact that having kids is the best way to get on government programs. It encourages people to pop out kids and raise them in poverty. My parents are both teachers and half of their students are on the free lunch program.

Hopefully, there are some locals here that might know of a position your wife could take.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:52 pm

Ugh sorry to hear about your situation. I agree with what you are saying though. You can just imagine the hoard of illegals who take advantage of our system.

Good luck with your endeavors.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:33 am

Sorry to hear about the rough times. :-/ Hopefully it will get better soon. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:50 am

Don't assume that if you have a kid or two that the government will automatically give you free stuff. My dad left us when I was 2, my brother was 1, and my mom didn't have a job when this happened. She got one, but it didn't pay well, so each month she basically had to choose which utility or "necessity" we were going to have to go without. Why? Because she "made too much". I don't get how some of these programs work, only that there seems to be people who really know how to get around it and "benefit" from it. Sorry to hear about this rough stretch of your life, but when you make it through, you guys will be better for it.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:42 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I don't get how some of these programs work, only that there seems to be people who really know how to get around it and "benefit" from it.

Yeah, I'll never forget getting out of work in college around midnight and getting gas at a mini mart. I went in to pay, and these 2 ladies who were obviously high on something plopped this huge pile of junk food and cigarettes on the counter. The guy gave them their total, and they asked if they could pay with food stamps. Sure, no problem... :-C

Sorry to hear about this rough stretch of your life, but when you make it through, you guys will be better for it.

Totally agree here. You can't keep a good man down. ;-D
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby urbanbreez » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:22 am

Inukchuk wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I don't get how some of these programs work, only that there seems to be people who really know how to get around it and "benefit" from it.

Yeah, I'll never forget getting out of work in college around midnight and getting gas at a mini mart. I went in to pay, and these 2 ladies who were obviously high on something plopped this huge pile of junk food and cigarettes on the counter. The guy gave them their total, and they asked if they could pay with food stamps. Sure, no problem... :-C

Sorry to hear about this rough stretch of your life, but when you make it through, you guys will be better for it.

Totally agree here. You can't keep a good man down. ;-D

Dude, you can't buy cigarettes with food stamps and if not for the "free lunches" given out at school, many kids wouldn't get a square meal at all. I should know, I was one of them.

I knew a kid at my college that got food stamps throughout the whole thing, in addition to all the government aid he was getting in the form of school grants. He dressed up like a bum -- seriously, he did -- and went into the food stamp office complaining of starvation and hunger pains. Call it what you want but he ate like a King while all I could manage was Top Ramen. At the very least, it was enterprising.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk