Refurbished PS3?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

Refurbished PS3??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Refurbished PS3??

Postby kingmike74 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:10 pm

Anyone ever bought a refurb system?

I found a deal and the merchant told me that the PS3 80GB was open box, not a refurb bu for the price of $290, it is hard to pass up.

Thoughts?
"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Refurbished PS3??

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:28 pm

kingmike74 wrote:Anyone ever bought a refurb system?

I found a deal and the merchant told me that the PS3 80GB was open box, not a refurb bu for the price of $290, it is hard to pass up.

Thoughts?

Hmmm...whats the warranty. i'd truthfully want a refurb over an open box to tell ya the truth. Considering refurbs are usually fixed by hand and retested.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby kingmike74 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:31 pm

Just found out that what they have left is Sony refurbs with a 180 day warranty.

I am an "xbox guy" but cannot see paying $200 for a good BR player when I can get a nice refurb PS3 for a little more.
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:37 pm

kingmike74 wrote:Just found out that what they have left is Sony refurbs with a 180 day warranty.

I am an "xbox guy" but cannot see paying $200 for a good BR player when I can get a nice refurb PS3 for a little more.

Refurbs are ok definitely. 180 Day warranty isn't bad as it only has a 360 day warranty anyways. Most electronics die pretty quickly. A refurbed one will likely show problems earlier as you can assume that they had an issue and if it wasn't fixed correctly it would probably die within 180 days.

The good news is that refurbs are an excellent deal and usually repaired by hand. I bet it'll last you a while (as in years obviously). If it gets passed that 180 day mark and dies it's probably just bad luck.

I have a refrubed HD TV and it's lasted without problems for years. My refurbed Dell developed a problem within 2 weeks and then lasted years.

Good call. Although they may be lowering PS3 prices in the near future.

The show is a great baseball game and PS3 exclusive. It's hard though
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby kingmike74 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:06 pm

Thx for all the help man, I will do a little research on how soon a PS3 price drop might occur. I would hate to spend $300 on a refurb and in 2 months they drop the price to $300.
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

Postby zepfan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:26 pm

kingmike74 wrote:Thx for all the help man, I will do a little research on how soon a PS3 price drop might occur. I would hate to spend $300 on a refurb and in 2 months they drop the price to $300.

Sony has said outright that they are not dropping their prices anytime soon. On Attack of the Show they said Activision has threatened to stop making games for the system if they don't drop the price but Sony said they still won't do it. We'll see how that works out but I wouldn't hold my breath for the price to go down anytime soon. :/ As long as I don't miss out on Modern Warfare 2 I am happy.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:42 pm

kingmike74 wrote:Thx for all the help man, I will do a little research on how soon a PS3 price drop might occur. I would hate to spend $300 on a refurb and in 2 months they drop the price to $300.

You know I would almost recommend saving up for that extra 100 bucks. I mean you gotta have some junk around the house you could ebay for 100 bucks. Get a PS3 off of Dell.com for like 340 or something (I'll see what I can find). Or get it from target with like a target card and get cash back I think (like 10%). I bought a 3 year additional warranty for like 25 bucks which I think is a good investment on a 400 dollar piece of hardware (MY ps3 broke within 1 month)
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Return to Video Games