must you tag the runner? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

must you tag the runner?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: must you tag the runner?

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:08 am

with nobody out the only time you should ever steal 3rd is if you get an isane jump or you realize the pitcher is not even checking you. long story short, you should never go unless you feel you are guarenteed safe. (or you are a crawford-like base stealer, but they have a different set of rules)

jeter was not even close to being guarenteed safe, as a matter of fact the ball beat him there and had the tag been properly applied he would have been out with no argument. he would have just hung his head and moped back to the bench.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:37 am

LloydChristmas wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:The ball has to be put into play and a runner has to be behind the first runner on the basepaths for there to be a force out.

The only exception I can think of is a runner who leaves a base before a caught fly ball. The ball must beat the player to the base he was on with no tag necessary.

Dropped third strike as well.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby markj11 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:50 am

lastingsgriller wrote:with nobody out the only time you should ever steal 3rd is if you get an isane jump or you realize the pitcher is not even checking you. long story short, you should never go unless you feel you are guarenteed safe. (or you are a crawford-like base stealer, but they have a different set of rules)

jeter was not even close to being guarenteed safe, as a matter of fact the ball beat him there and had the tag been properly applied he would have been out with no argument. he would have just hung his head and moped back to the bench.

Maybe he thought he was guarenteed. But, that isn't even an excuse.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tiki1311 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:10 pm

Jeter was being a spoiled brat cry baby. Yes, Jeter avoided the tag with some clever sliding, but we all know the "ball beat you to the bag" guideline is extremely common. The ump shouldn't have verbablized it to Giradi, but it gets used all the time. Especially in SB situations when there is a bang bang play.

Guys get called out on SB attempts all the time where the throw beats the runner, but the tag got placed too high - like on the forearm, elbow, or shoulder while the finger tips made it to the base first. That scenario isn't uncommon at all and it never would have been a Baseball Tonight lead if Jeter hadn't thrown a hissy fit. And lets not even get started on the double plays where the SS sweeps the bag with his foot a split second before actually catching the ball. Technically the runner should be safe, but it never gets called that way.

As a veteran SS, Jeter has gotten the benefit of those type of calls during his carrer many times and should've shown more class than having a temper tantrum.
Tiki1311
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:14 pm

Tiki1311 wrote:Jeter was being a spoiled brat cry baby. Yes, Jeter avoided the tag with some clever sliding, but we all know the "ball beat you to the bag" guideline is extremely common. The ump shouldn't have verbablized it to Giradi, but it gets used all the time. Especially in SB situations when there is a bang bang play.

Guys get called out on SB attempts all the time where the throw beats the runner, but the tag got placed too high - like on the forearm, elbow, or shoulder while the finger tips made it to the base first. That scenario isn't uncommon at all and it never would have been a Baseball Tonight lead if Jeter hadn't thrown a hissy fit. And lets not even get started on the double plays where the SS sweeps the bag with his foot a split second before actually catching the ball. Technically the runner should be safe, but it never gets called that way.

As a veteran SS, Jeter has gotten the benefit of those type of calls during his carrer many times and should've shown more class than having a temper tantrum.

This ;-D
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:16 pm

Tiki1311 wrote:Jeter was being a spoiled brat cry baby. Yes, Jeter avoided the tag with some clever sliding, but we all know the "ball beat you to the bag" guideline is extremely common. The ump shouldn't have verbablized it to Giradi, but it gets used all the time. Especially in SB situations when there is a bang bang play.

That's the thing. I can't speak for Jeter but if an ump told me that I would probably lose my temper too.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby neoforce » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:56 pm

Tiki1311 wrote:Jeter was being a spoiled brat cry baby.

Yeah, because we all know that Jeter has a reputation for having no class and is consistently arguing calls. Too bad he isn't a more of a role model, say like a Milton Bradley. In the future I hope Jeter stops complaining and accept responsibility for his actions.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:16 pm

neoforce wrote:
Tiki1311 wrote:Jeter was being a spoiled brat cry baby.

Yeah, because we all know that Jeter has a reputation for having no class and is consistently arguing calls. Too bad he isn't a more of a role model, say like a Milton Bradley. In the future I hope Jeter stops complaining and accept responsibility for his actions.

i agree. jeter is a panzee
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:34 pm

Link(s)? I'd like to see the play. :-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:17 pm

JTWood wrote:Link(s)? I'd like to see the play. :-)

I don't have a link, but I saw the play live and then on replay 100 or so times, and he was so ridiculously and clearly safe it was shocking.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers