Al Sharpton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Al Sharpton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Al Sharpton

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:56 pm

Al Sharpton, like everyone, is neither all good or all bad. He has done a great service by speaking for the voiceless at times, he's also acted like a complete buffoon at times. Anyone who tries to ignore either side of that is a fool, and probably has their own agenda.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Al Sharpton

Postby Polar Bear » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:33 am

CadensDad wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:Not big fans of Sharpton?

I don't get into politics much, but as long as a person is sincere in their beliefs I will respect them. I do think he is sincere, even though I do tend to disagree with him on quite a bit.

I had not seen him in awhile and when I did I almost didn't recognize him.


Al will go anywhere and speak about anything if it get's him in the newspaper/on t.v./ or on the radio.

And Adolf Hitler was very sincere with his beliefs, so is Bin Laden, the Unibomber, the Boston Strangler, Charles Manson and the list list goes on and on. I don't see how you can respect a man who blames everyone else for everything.


Well that is a fair point Cadens, however it is a bit extreme. Like I said, I disagree with him on quite a bit, but I do believe he thinks he is doing the right thing. I respect Al Sharpton because although his opinions frustrate me often he does quite a bit of good with charity. I agree with his stance on poverty and would like people to do more about it, however he and I will disagree on the governments involvement in it.

Comparing Al Sharpton to serial killers and racist dictators is a bit much.
Image
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 339
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Al Sharpton

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:38 am

Polar Bear wrote:Comparing Al Sharpton to serial killers and racist dictators is a bit much.


Unfortunately, this is how deeply hatred runs in some people.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Al Sharpton

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:51 am

Come on...Cadens Dad wasn't directly comparing Al Sharpton to those people, he was simply pointing out that just because someone is earnest in their beliefs doesn't mean they, or their beliefs are to be respected. I disagree with him regarding Sharpton, but I agree with that generally.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Al Sharpton

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:53 am

Yoda wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:Comparing Al Sharpton to serial killers and racist dictators is a bit much.


Unfortunately, this is how deeply hatred runs in some people.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves around here. It was an analogy. No analogy is 1:1. Often people exaggerate to prove a point. It doesn't require righteous indignation on the part of those responding, just a grasp of how conversations work. Nobody is really saying Al Sharpton = serial killers/racist dictators. Pointing this out makes the conversation unnecessarily burdensome.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Al Sharpton

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Well Sharpton's sincere beliefs are in helping the cause of repressed African Americans. Whether he is vying for attention or media exposure doesn't necessarily make him bad since most public figures have to do this in order to get people informed and involved in the cause.

Comparing his belief in helping people to that of serial killers, murderers and terrorists is simply wrong IMO. But anyway.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Al Sharpton

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:02 pm

Yoda wrote:Well Sharpton's sincere beliefs are in helping the cause of repressed African Americans.

That is an extremely debatable point.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Al Sharpton

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:04 pm

knapplc wrote:
Yoda wrote:Well Sharpton's sincere beliefs are in helping the cause of repressed African Americans.

That is an extremely debatable point.


What isn't debatable nowadays?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Al Sharpton

Postby Polar Bear » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:54 pm

Well that is a fair point Cadens, however it is a bit extreme. Like I said, I disagree with him on quite a bit, but I do believe he thinks he is doing the right thing. I respect Al Sharpton because although his opinions frustrate me often he does quite a bit of good with charity. I agree with his stance on poverty and would like people to do more about it, however he and I will disagree on the governments involvement in it.

Comparing Al Sharpton to serial killers and racist dictators is a bit much.


Look at the first line I typed before Yoda came in and quoted me. I said it was a fair argument, but a little extreme. Then I gave the rest of my opinion. My biggest pet peeve is being quoted out of context. I do not think Cadens was being hateful in the least bit, he was just giving an argument, but I do disagree with his analogy because it is apples and oranges.
Image
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 339
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Al Sharpton

Postby Polar Bear » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:56 pm

Yoda wrote:Well Sharpton's sincere beliefs are in helping the cause of repressed African Americans. Whether he is vying for attention or media exposure doesn't necessarily make him bad since most public figures have to do this in order to get people informed and involved in the cause.


This is the point I was trying to make, but Yoda said it better.
Image
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 339
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 10:23 hours
(and 100 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact