50%
Anahiem
50%
Texas
No votes

Total votes : 4

Can we win the west?

Postby SeaWolf » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:01 am

Who do you think will win the AL West? Can the M's pull it out?
SeaWolf
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:06 pm

I think the AL West will be pretty competitive, as it has been in years past. However, for the first time since the Mariners have had their string of success, I'm betting against them.

The Mariners didn't have a lot of success this offseason, aside from acquiring Eddie Guardado and Raul Ibanez (and addition by subtraction in ridding themselves of Cirillo, I 'spose). Rich Aurillia may turn out to be decent, but I don't consider him much of an upgrade over Carlos Guillen, and I really wish the Mariners would have pushed harder for Miguel Tejada (I could go on and on about my hardships with the Mariners free agency decisions, but I'll leave that for another topic). Scott Spiezio is decent, but I'm worried about his defense at third base. A lot of Seattle's pitchers aren't strike out kind of guys and really rely on their defenders to get their outs.

I'm worried about Freddy Garcia (for obvious reasons), Edgar's health, Olerud's batting average, Aurillia sucking, Ichiro's annual post All-Star slump, etc., etc. If the Mariners avoid those, things should be just peachy in Seattle.

However, even if things are just peachy in Seattle (unlikely, IMO), they still have to contend with the improved Anaheim Angels and the always competitive Oakland Athletics. Anaheim could be extremely dangerous if their pitching is decent (their offense is crazily scary) and with the big four (I'm including Harden) Oakland shouldn't have a lot to worry about.
[size=9]"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Madison hates The 'Cuna...[/size]
Canacuna Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BGbootha » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:27 pm

Die hard M's fan here, but i just don't see them doing it in the west this year. I am not so much worried about oakland. They are going to try to win every game 1-0. I don't see thier lineup striking fear in any pitchers out there.

Anahiem however. Great lineup (Vlad doesn't hurt) and a pretty darn good rotation.

Besides that hae you seen the M's bench, or lack there of. I love Edgar but the guy is going on 80, if he goes down we are looking at McCracken / Bloomquist as our DH. Ouch!!!!!!!! Not to mention some of the other guys haven't exactly had injury free careers. I like the rotation, i think freddy is going to turn it around and show us why he should make the big bucks next year. BUt i just don't see them winnign the west.

That being said, when i walk into Safeco on Opening day, i am sure that i will faind aa way to convince myself they are unbeatable!!!!!!!!!!

GO M's
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Seattle Mariners