Roy Halladay trade thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Roy Halladay trade thread

Postby chadlincoln » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:50 pm

Why is this thread still going? :-?
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CadensDad » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:18 pm

chadlincoln wrote:Why is this thread still going? :-?

Because mweir145 still comes to the cafe on a daily basis.... :-D

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bazzy_51 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:24 pm

exactly... give it a damn rest... there is no difference between him being traded or him leaving in free agency either btw mweir... ok well there actually is, a trade shows your fans your not a fricken idiot to just let talent go to WASTE when you could have gotten value for that player to help the team for the future, letting him go to free agency tells the fans they obviously could care less what the hell happens in the future... mweir whats the damn difference if the Jays lose fans because they lost their 'god' in Halladay in a trade OR free agency now OR in a couple months or if they lose there fans mid way through next year when they are sucking it up so bad a change from the Jay's the Pirates would actually be a welcoming sight??? you make NO sense what so ever and are worst then a homer fan your just blind to ANY truths....

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jlm53089 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:07 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:

exactly... give it a damn rest... there is no difference between him being traded or him leaving in free agency either btw mweir... ok well there actually is, a trade shows your fans your not a fricken idiot to just let talent go to WASTE when you could have gotten value for that player to help the team for the future, letting him go to free agency tells the fans they obviously could care less what the hell happens in the future... mweir whats the damn difference if the Jays lose fans because they lost their 'god' in Halladay in a trade OR free agency now OR in a couple months or if they lose there fans mid way through next year when they are sucking it up so bad a change from the Jay's the Pirates would actually be a welcoming sight??? you make NO sense what so ever and are worst then a homer fan your just blind to ANY truths....

What are you talking about, I read through this post and my eyes hurt.
Thanks
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:20 pm

i think there is a difference.
if he remains in Toronto until the time of free agency. then the Jays do everything they can making him numerous offers that are at his market value ..but he decides to sign somewhere else with a better chance to win, then the Jays will have atleast tried to resign him, but it would have been Halladays decision to leave. i dont think fans would be as upset about that as if when Halladay is a free agent and the Jays dont even attempt to talk to Halladay or make him any offers. that would piss off the fans.

fans in Toronto is something that has to be taken into consideration. no matter what the Jays do it will always be a hockey city. i hate hockey, and i hate watching sports tv on the Canadian satellite because they talk about hockey way too much even in the middle of summer.

this thread is still going because people reply. the day noone responds it will die.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:44 pm

You think this saga has ended? There is an entire offseason where this is going to be a main point of discussion.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:57 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:exactly... give it a damn rest...

Says the guy making a long post in the very thread that he is belittling others for posting in...

there is no difference between him being traded or him leaving in free agency either btw mweir..

Perception is everything. Particularly when you are dealing with a fickle fan base.

mweir whats the damn difference if the Jays lose fans because they lost their 'god' in Halladay in a trade OR free agency now OR in a couple months or if they lose there fans mid way through next year when they are sucking it up so bad a change from the Jay's the Pirates would actually be a welcoming sight???

If you trade Halladay, the owners/management become the bad guys (particularly Ricciardi) and you give out an obvious sign to prospective ticket buyers that you aren't trying to win anymore. Any trade risks a complete alienation between a majority of the fans and the team, particularly after they said 2010 would be a contending year.

If he leaves in free agency, it becomes much easier for ownership/management to shift the blame on the player. That's what happened with Carlos Delgado (and many fans actually turned on Carlos), and I suspect that they wouldn't have a problem with going that route again.

you make NO sense what so ever and are worst then a homer fan your just blind to ANY truths....

Please stop. Unlike you, I actually seem to have a grasp of what I'm talking about here.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:03 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:i think there is a difference.
if he remains in Toronto until the time of free agency. then the Jays do everything they can making him numerous offers that are at his market value ..but he decides to sign somewhere else with a better chance to win, then the Jays will have atleast tried to resign him, but it would have been Halladays decision to leave. i dont think fans would be as upset about that as if when Halladay is a free agent and the Jays dont even attempt to talk to Halladay or make him any offers. that would piss off the fans.

Or they can give him low-ball offers that give the perception that they are actually doing something. Like they did with Escobar, Delgado, and Burnett.

BTW...too bad they didn't go that route with Wells...
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby DVauthrin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:43 am

mweir145 wrote:
DVauthrin wrote: But the same loss of fans will happen in the following offseason when he leaves for greener pastures.

That just isn't true. A player leaving in free agency gives a completely different perception than a trade.

I shouldn't have said the loss in fans would be equal. My apologies on the poor word choice. The point I was trying to convey was I would expect a major drop in attendance regardless of when(or how) Halladay leaves unless the Jays have a good team right after his departure. This is not a town like St. Louis or Chicago that will pack the house even if the team is terrible.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers