Roy Halladay trade thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roy Halladay trade thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Roy Halladay trade thread

Postby DSheppard » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:04 pm

TR Sullivan says the rangers were told thursday night Halladay wouldn't accept a trade to them.
So I guess you were right about that, although it seems ridiculous to let it get so far first.

Damn I hate players refusing trades to the rangers, it happens too much.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:06 pm

im not sure how to feel.

ive been one to say all along the Jays did not have to trade Halladay if they didnt get the right price, but i admit i was also highly confident that one of the other teams would pony up the prospects and make it happen. i thought for sure it was going to be one team say ok lets make 2 playoff runs with Halladay and give up what it takes. i was excited at the thought of some of the players i was seeing the Jays interested in, i thought for sure they were going to Toronto. i think 2010 would have been a let down, but 2011 beyond with the talent level things would finally be moving in the right direction.
now Halladay is still a Jay, and i dont know what to think or how to feel.

as for contending in 2010, i dont know.
i guess the Jays have had bad luck, but in order to even challenge with the big 3 they are going to have to be the opposite and get some good luck. not only will things have to go right for Toronto, i think some things will have to go wrong for NY/BOS/TB. even if next year at the deadline the Jays happen to be in it with NY/BOS/TB, you know NY and BOS are going to make a move to improve their team, would Toronto?
ive tried to be confident in 2010 and i think most of my comments for 2010 have been why couldnt the Jays contend, but i dont think i was being entirely honest.
it depends what ownership does, thats a big question. if they increase payroll and make some moves maybe, but if they have to cut payroll, forget it.
even if they decide to increase payroll, its not that easy, they have to get the right players and make the right moves, can the Jays really do that?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 98)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:07 pm

DSheppard wrote:TR Sullivan says the rangers were told thursday night Halladay wouldn't accept a trade to them.
So I guess you were right about that, although it seems ridiculous to let it get so far first.

Damn I hate players refusing trades to the rangers, it happens too much.

Interesting. But I doubt Texas would have traded Holland, anyway. Nor should they have.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:11 pm

as for contending in 2010, i dont know.
i guess the Jays have had bad luck, but in order to even challenge with the big 3 they are going to have to be the opposite and get some good luck. not only will things have to go right for Toronto, i think some things will have to go wrong for NY/BOS/TB. even if next year at the deadline the Jays happen to be in it with NY/BOS/TB, you know NY and BOS are going to make a move to improve their team, would Toronto?
ive tried to be confident in 2010 and i think most of my comments for 2010 have been why couldnt the Jays contend, but i dont think i was being entirely honest.
it depends what ownership does, thats a big question. if they increase payroll and make some moves maybe, but if they have to cut payroll, forget it.
even if they decide to increase payroll, its not that easy, they have to get the right players and make the right moves, can the Jays really do that?

Rogers lacks direction right now. That's the easiest way to say it. They kind of want to contend, but then they aren't willing to sign any players or keep Scott Rolen around (though if he really wanted to go, there's not much you can do about that).

They are still a good team even without Rolen (Encarnacion is just as good as a hitter, and maybe can be put at DH), and they might be able to contend if things go right, but it's really just one more hole that this team has to fill.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:18 pm

for years ive thought the Jays were kind of close, maybe a key player or two here and there things could break the right way for the Jays, but it gets frustrating year after year after year ending up just above average.. but then other times i feel like dammit just gut the team and rebuild.
Ricciardi's contract is up after next season, and even if he has made some moves that have worked i really cant see him being here beyond that. IF ownership/management feel that way they might aswell fire him after this season and bring in a new guy to start over.
problem is the Jays have some problems, like Wells contract. i know Wells has an opt out clause which i think is after the 2011 season, but i doubt he would opt out with all the money he is still due since at his level of play right now hes not going to get a similar type contract.

Halladay was the main player i was expecting to get traded to fill multiple positions with potential star type players.. and now i dont see that happending even in the offseason.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 98)

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:22 pm

mweir145 wrote:From the beginning I assumed that the Jays wouldn't trade Doc (they simply weren't under any pressue to do so), and while I am somewhat happy that they didn't, it's getting hard for me to believe that the owners care enough about winning to make him stay here after 2010...

The Jays may have felt like they had no pressure to move Halladay now, but to me that was a big mistake. Considering teams would pay more for two seasons of halladay than either one(if he gets traded this offseason) or 2-3 months(deadline deal), it was time to deal him.

Also, considering your division and the state of your team, Halladay was bolting after next season even before the public trade rumors. A 33 year old ace pitcher that hasn't experienced the postseason in his career isn't going stay on a team that is in the same division with the two of best teams(and biggest spenders) in the game. Not that the Jays are a bad team or anything, but he wants to play on a team that gives him the best chance to play in October. Toronto wasn't going to be that team.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:31 pm

DVauthrin wrote:The Jays may have felt like they had no pressure to move Halladay now, but to me that was a big mistake. Considering teams would pay more for two seasons of halladay than either one(if he gets traded this offseason) or 2-3 months(deadline deal), it was time to deal him.

If they put money into the team this offseason and try to win, I can't consider it a mistake. The team is quite good. If they don't, and actually think they can contend without a proper 3B, then yeah they should have dealt him.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:32 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
bout face ;-D

I wouldn't be happy about trading pitching prospects and Encarnacion for Scott Rolen if I was you. It doesn't make any sense from the Reds perspective.

wrong thread

Just pointing out that the Reds are more delusional than the Jays about their chances.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby DVauthrin » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:39 pm

mweir145 wrote:
DVauthrin wrote:The Jays may have felt like they had no pressure to move Halladay now, but to me that was a big mistake. Considering teams would pay more for two seasons of halladay than either one(if he gets traded this offseason) or 2-3 months(deadline deal), it was time to deal him.

If they put money into the team this offseason and try to win, I can't consider it a mistake. The team is quite good. If they don't, and actually think they can contend without a proper 3B, then yeah they should have dealt him.

The question then becomes which route do you think ownership takes?
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:41 pm

DVauthrin wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

The question then becomes which route do you think ownership takes?

im guessing if the route only goes left or right they bail off down the middle... ;-7

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers