Roy Halladay trade thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roy Halladay trade thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Roy Halladay trade thread

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:53 pm

I was unaware Rolen was that key of a piece to the Jays success.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:53 pm

mweir145 wrote:Okay...scratch everything I just said about possibly contending next year. I mean...I suppose it could still happen, but the Jays just took a significant hit at 3B. It may not seem like a big dropoff from Rolen to Encarnacion, but defensively, it really is. Jose Bautista might actually be a better option at the position than EE.

If the plan the entire time was to trade Rolen, they should have been more willing to trade Halladay.

Of course, I love watching Halladay pitch, so I'll enjoy his next 13 starts (and probably more). But I'm just not sure this team can contend next year now without getting really lucky (haha, they're due for that) or without spending more money (which they probably won't do...considering the Rolen deal looks like a salary deal). Jays fans are looking at a pretty mediocre 2010 season now.

bout face ;-D
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Tavish » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:55 pm

Doc staying put makes me think the Phils ended up as the big winner of the trade wars.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:08 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:I was unaware Rolen was that key of a piece to the Jays success.

He's not a huge piece, they are still a top 10 team in baseball without him. But what this trade indicates is that the owners are giving the same half-assed attempt at contending they always were. The Jays will probably not allocate that money elsewhere.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:09 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Okay...scratch everything I just said about possibly contending next year. I mean...I suppose it could still happen, but the Jays just took a significant hit at 3B. It may not seem like a big dropoff from Rolen to Encarnacion, but defensively, it really is. Jose Bautista might actually be a better option at the position than EE.

If the plan the entire time was to trade Rolen, they should have been more willing to trade Halladay.

Of course, I love watching Halladay pitch, so I'll enjoy his next 13 starts (and probably more). But I'm just not sure this team can contend next year now without getting really lucky (haha, they're due for that) or without spending more money (which they probably won't do...considering the Rolen deal looks like a salary deal). Jays fans are looking at a pretty mediocre 2010 season now.

bout face ;-D

I wouldn't be happy about trading pitching prospects and Encarnacion for Scott Rolen if I was you. It doesn't make any sense from the Reds perspective.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:09 pm

Tavish wrote:Doc staying put makes me think the Phils ended up as the big winner of the trade wars.

They fleeced the Indians for Cliff Lee...so yes, definitely.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:12 pm

From the beginning I assumed that the Jays wouldn't trade Doc (they simply weren't under any pressue to do so), and while I am somewhat happy that they didn't, it's getting hard for me to believe that the owners care enough about winning to make him stay here after 2010...
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:24 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

bout face ;-D

I wouldn't be happy about trading pitching prospects and Encarnacion for Scott Rolen if I was you. It doesn't make any sense from the Reds perspective.

wrong thread
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:43 pm

JP says he called Halladay at 2:00 PM and said he wouldn't be traded. So I guess that whole late Angels thing was BS.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:55 pm

JP said it though.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero