100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roy Halladay trade thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Roy Halladay trade thread

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:00 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Twitter wrote:MLBastian A source indicated over a dozen teams have asked about Halladay. "Serious" interest: NYY, NYM, STL, MIL, LAD, LAA, BOS

i would prefer if you guys didn't deal him to the Dodgers unless you completely gut them. k thx.

+1

Same with the Angels. :-t
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:03 am

AussieDodger wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

i would prefer if you guys didn't deal him to the Dodgers unless you completely gut them. k thx.

+1

Same with the Angels. :-t

Same with Boston and New York. :-t
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:09 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Twitter wrote:MLBastian A source indicated over a dozen teams have asked about Halladay. "Serious" interest: NYY, NYM, STL, MIL, LAD, LAA, BOS

The Dodgers are like my 2nd favourite team in baseball, and Halladay would finally get the chance to destroy the terrible NL West. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, especially if they got Kershaw (I assume they wouldn't even consider trading Bills).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:10 am

jlm53089 wrote:Same with Boston and New York. :-t

I still don't think the Jays will trade in division if they decide to make a deal, but nothing would surprise me out of this ownership.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am

mweir145 wrote:The Dodgers are like my 2nd favourite team in baseball

i knew there was a reason i didnt like you... ;-)
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 831)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:13 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:

+1 ;-D

j/k :-B
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby sportsguy138 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:21 am

Seriously, I never understood how JP went without signing one major leaguer in the past off-season. :-P

If we get rid of Halladay, what message does that send to the fans? You're right weir, the fan base will take a huge hit. The ball park is already bad enough as it is. What ever happen to that plan of Ricciardi's? Ha. I really hope he stays here. :-/

JP doesn't have the balls to pull the trigger on a big deal. If there's an offer on the table like the Sizemore/Phillips/Lee deal with Colon, that would be amazing. But like it's been said, none of these prospects are sure things and Halladay is a big piece to have. I think Halladay will be back and if he's not, he better not be in a Red Sox or Yankees uni. X-I
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 407)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:30 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:

When the Giants had Bonds, I cheered for them. But now I have to cheer for Manny.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:39 am

sportsguy138 wrote:Seriously, I never understood how JP went without signing one major leaguer in the past off-season. :-P

That wasn't JP's fault, ownership didn't want to spend the money to contend once again.

If we get rid of Halladay, what message does that send to the fans? You're right weir, the fan base will take a huge hit. The ball park is already bad enough as it is. What ever happen to that plan of Ricciardi's? Ha. I really hope he stays here. :-/

It would absolutely kill the fan base. There is no way JP can talk the fans into another rebuilding period after talking for an entire year about how 2010 would be "The Year." They will take a serious hit in ticket sales, but if they can get rid of enough contracts, I don't think they'll care. If Halladay is dealt, prepare to see this team drop their payroll to 50M. Winning clearly isn't the goal, making a profit is.

JP doesn't have the balls to pull the trigger on a big deal. If there's an offer on the table like the Sizemore/Phillips/Lee deal with Colon, that would be amazing. But like it's been said, none of these prospects are sure things and Halladay is a big piece to have. I think Halladay will be back and if he's not, he better not be in a Red Sox or Yankees uni. X-I

Outside of getting a ridiculous offer like the one you stated, there is no package out there that is worth what Halladay brings to this team. I still think they'll keep him and play out 2010, but I'm not liking the messages that are being sent out by ownership right now.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:55 am

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog ... right.aspx

Bruce Arthur wrote:Right now, Paul Beeston needs to make two decisions.

One, he needs to decide if he is remaining as the president of the Toronto Blue Jays, or if the oft-mentioned idea of a replacement is actually going to happen. After that decision is reached, he needs to decide whether J.P. Ricciardi is going to serve out his contract, or, as some who know Ricciardi speculate, is going to walk away after this year.

(These decisions may have to be made with the input of owner Rogers Communications, assuming they are aware they still own a baseball team.)

And once all that is sorted out, then Ricciardi's remarks regarding ace Roy Halladay can be addressed.

As the Jays surprising early start has given way to a slow-motion fall dictated by injuries and talent level, the party line has often been — stop us if you've heard this before — wait 'til next season.

Wait until the Jays can field a rotation of Halladay, Shawn Marcum, Jesse Litsch, Ricky Romero, and some combination of Brian Tallett, Brett Cecil, Brad Mills, Scott Richmond, etc., etc.

Wait until Travis Snider comes back without the holes in his swing to help Adam Lind and Aaron Hill, and the bullpen coalesces, and then maybe this team will finally make the extended and realistic run at contention that it has yet to make, nearly eight full seasons into the J.P. Ricciardi era.

Well, maybe not. Maybe the Jays can't afford to take a shot in 2010 without assurances that Halladay isn't going to walk away at the end of it. Maybe Ricciardi is opening the doors because the Jays are again falling out of contention; maybe he is doing it as a money-saving move, since the colossal contracts given to Vernon Wells, Alex Rios and B.J. Ryan have become hideous millstones around the neck of this franchise. (Though given the fact that Beeston has said this team could spend as much as anybody but the Yankees if the team were in real contention, this seems a little less likely, even if there is a terrible revenue crunch coming.)

But if it happens, a Halladay trade would be the end of an era. It would be momentous. Trading Roy Halladay would be the most significant move this franchise could make, capable of either restoring or destroying any hope going forward.

And that's why the Blue Jays, from the very top on down, need to decide if J.P. Ricciardi is the man to make that decision. And if he is, he'd sure as hell better get this one right.

Personally, I'd have no problem with re-signing JP Ricciardi. I think he's a very good talent evaluator, and he really hasn't made one bad trade over his time in Toronto. But before making a franchise-altering move like trading Halladay, they really need to decide if JP is going to be here long-term. Also, it would nice if Rogers could actually tell somebody what the payroll will be for next year.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers