Roy Halladay trade thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roy Halladay trade thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Roy Halladay trade thread

Postby dillpickle » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:33 pm

hot4tx wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I might be crazy but there is one team that has a stocked farm system, needs pitching help and is in the playoff hunt for the first time in a while... the Texas Rangers.

I'm sure 29 other teams would love to have him too but I'd expect Toronto to ask for the moon.

For myself and every single Rangers fan I've talked to, I hope not. Rangers are doing much more than we all expected, but we are not one pitcher away from being the best team in baseball. At this point trading away high prospects for a short term player doesn't make sense. Maybe next year or 2011, 2012 I could see them making a move but usually with this kind of solid core of youngsters there's no reason to do it.

Also throw in the fact that Hicks can't add any more salary (probably can't even sign either of the two 1st round picks this year) and I don't think he has room to add any big name player.

The Angels were greedy with their young "studs" a few years ago. Ask those fans how Woods, Kendrick, and company are helping them now a days. Fact is, these young "studs" are very unpredictable. Most will never pan out.

I remember a lot of Tiger's fans being upset trading Maybin and Miller for Cabrera. Both Maybin and Miller were top 10-15 prospects at the time of the trade. Now it looks like both Maybin and Miller are fringe MLB players.

I for one wouldn't mind the Tiger's packaging Porcello and a couple other pieces for Halladay. Fact is, the Porcello is going to have to be rested in September and October to avoid a huge increase in word load. That isn't going to help the Tigers this year. With Verlander, Halladay, and Jackson, all the Tigers would have to do is make the playoffs in a bad AL Central. In a series, I'd take those three pitchers over anyone (outside maybe Boston).
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:34 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:the number one goal for the future should be to win, that in turn will make the fans happy. if the Jays could trade Halladay and become a contending team im sure the fans arnt going to have any regret about trading away Halladay.

Trading Halladay will completely destroy the fanbase for the next few seasons. Believe me on that. They'll all come back once the team starts winning of course, but there's no reason to believe that will happen any time soon.

there are other players on the team that should be dealt. BJ Ryan should have been traded in the offseason, that would have saved some money ..but right now with his contract and injury history hes another player whos unmovable.

Agreed. I'd probably just cut my losses with him now and release him before he does any more damage. Especially if he won't agree to go down to AAA and at least attempt to fix himself.

in any other division the Jays would be a playoff caliber team, but in the East with NY/BOS/TB it takes more. the Jays are not a team that are able to afford to have a high payroll.

Rogers can afford to have a high payroll if they choose to do so. They just don't choose to do so.

im sure the Jays could not trade Halladay, sign him to an extension for the amount of money its going to cost.. and remain an average team for years to come.
what have the Jays done WITH Halladay?

Nothing, but they are close (have been a top 5 team in baseball between 2008 and 2009). It's not like the Jays will do anything without him, either.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:41 pm

even if the Jays want to make a run at the playoffs next season and keep everyone else except Halladay you could still contend next season.
Halladay isnt NEEDED.
with Marcum returning next season and a strong Halladay to ace the rotation they could have a chance at contending, but even then you need the other 3 teams (NY/BOS/TB) to have things go wrong.
im sure no team wants to be down aslong as Tamba Bay was, but doing that they were able to build up a strong group of young players that were able to contend in the East. the Jays dont have to be down for long to take the time to rebuild, but by trading one player they could acquire the young talent to go with the current talent and become a perenial contending team.

there are some decent prospects to go along with Snider in the minors like Arencia and Cooper, but theres not really much down there. by resigning Halladay along with Wells/Rios/Hill there isnt going to be much money left over to resign multiple players to fill out a contending team. we have seen plenty of evidence that you dont build a contending team through free agency. the Jays cant count on bringing in the best avaiable free agents to go along with what they will allready have.
by keeping Halladay and resigning him to the price he wants the Jays are going to be in worse shape than they have been.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:46 pm

I remember a lot of Tiger's fans being upset trading Maybin and Miller for Cabrera. Both Maybin and Miller were top 10-15 prospects at the time of the trade. Now it looks like both Maybin and Miller are fringe MLB players.

that trade cant be judged yet.
Maybin is still only 22 years old, and Miller is still only 24 years old.
wait another 2-3 years and see where these players are
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:01 pm

mweir145 wrote:#1. You don't trade the most valuable pitcher in baseball if you think there is a legitimate chance you'll make the playoffs next season. It's a franchise-altering decision if there ever was one.

this thread isn't about the giants trading timmy... :-S
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:03 pm

the Rangers cant add Salary?
im not sure of any high salary players with expiring contracts the Rangers could offer in return, that could work?

would Chris Davis be available? can he still play 3B?
he could be nice.
im not sure where i would rank SS Joaquin Arias as a prospect right now, but he could be interesting.
Davis, Arias, plus more.
the Jays could have a strong team beyond 2010 with that, SP- Marcum/Romero/Cecil/Purcey/Mills/(other). C-Arencibia/ 1B- Cooper(if ready)/ 2B-Hill/ SS-Arias/ 3B- Davis/ OF- Wells/Rios/Lind/ DH- Snider.

if not Davis, insult other high end 3B prospect plus someone for SS.

with Marcum, Romero, Cecil, Purcey, Mills, Litsch, ect ..they have enough quality pitching.. but they are going to need more offence, at 3B/SS in particular.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby dillpickle » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:58 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:

that trade cant be judged yet.
Maybin is still only 22 years old, and Miller is still only 24 years old.
wait another 2-3 years and see where these players are

Cabrera is only 25 or 26. No need to wait 2-3 years on him.

As it relates to the Rangers and this thread, those minor league players may or may not be great. Halladay is already great and still seemingly has a few good years left in front of him. Rubber arms are hard to find in these days of pitchers being pampered from the time they 12.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:24 pm

heres some other stuff from mlbtraderumors.com
# MLB.com's Jordan Bastian has a bevy of quotes from Roy himself: "It's a situation where I think if it's best for the team, if it's best for me, then you go from there."
# SI's Jon Heyman hears that the Jays may want a top SS prospect for the Doc, which could bode well for the Phillies, White Sox and Brewers, who all harbor chips in Jason Donald, Gordon Beckham and Alcides Escobar, respectively.
# Scott Gregor at the Daily Herald doesn't believe a deal with the White Sox for Halladay to be a likely scenario.
# Scott Lauber of the News-Journal says the Blue Jays already have a scout at the Phillies game tonight.
# Bill Shaikin at the L.A. Times asks Dodgers fans what their package deal for the Doc would be.
# Ken Davidoff at Newsday says it'd be "irresponsible" for the Mets and Yankees to not inquire on Halladay. Davidoff talked to Ricciardi, who insinuates that he wants a bigger package than what the Braves gave for Mark Teixeira a couple years ago.
# Tony Massarotti at the Boston Globe wonders just how unlikely an intra-divisional trade would be, and according to J.P. Ricciardi via Rob Bradford, he apparently wouldn't hesitate to deal to an AL East competitor.

quotes from Halladay..
"For me, the best I can do is try to avoid letting it become a distraction and go from there. I understand, obviously, the economics of the game and how the game works. It's a situation where I think if it's best for the team, if it's best for me, then you go from there. At this point, it's too hard to tell."

"My goals have always been the same," Halladay said. "I love Toronto. I want to stay here, but I want to win as well. That's becoming more and more of a goal for me. Obviously, my first choice would be to do it here. Like I've said in the past, whether or not our organization and my goals line up, it's never always going to be that way. Sometimes teams have to take steps back and I understand that. I think you always keep in mind the direction you want to go as a player."

If he's not dealt, Halladay was asked if he'd want to wait to see how the 2010 plays out before opting to sign an extension.

"I don't know if you were to talk about something like that what it would entail. I think my biggest decision would be, 'Do I feel like this is going to go in a direction where we have a chance to win, and quickly?' And that's it. It's hard to tell, but it's not going to be a decision based on whether it's a certain years or a certain number. It's going to be based on winning."

the Jays are in the toughest division to win. even if the Jays want to try and contend next season, with the current players in the organization i dont see alot to be posative for from beyond 2010 IF Halladay is resigned.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:43 pm

If they are not afraid to trade within the division, doesn't it seem like Tampa Bay has the best pieces to put together a deal?
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby kab21 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:59 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:If they are not afraid to trade within the division, doesn't it seem like Tampa Bay has the best pieces to put together a deal?

It might be tough for them to fit Halladay into their 2010 payroll.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers