Roy Halladay trade thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roy Halladay trade thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Roy Halladay trade thread

Postby hot4tx » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:09 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I might be crazy but there is one team that has a stocked farm system, needs pitching help and is in the playoff hunt for the first time in a while... the Texas Rangers.

I'm sure 29 other teams would love to have him too but I'd expect Toronto to ask for the moon.

For myself and every single Rangers fan I've talked to, I hope not. Rangers are doing much more than we all expected, but we are not one pitcher away from being the best team in baseball. At this point trading away high prospects for a short term player doesn't make sense. Maybe next year or 2011, 2012 I could see them making a move but usually with this kind of solid core of youngsters there's no reason to do it.

Also throw in the fact that Hicks can't add any more salary (probably can't even sign either of the two 1st round picks this year) and I don't think he has room to add any big name player.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 208)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mt99808 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:05 pm

I don't see anyway Halladay gets traded unless you get an absolute stud young pitcher in return plus ...

Kershaw + ...
Hanson + ....
Feliz & Smoak

There is no way the Jays are gonna part with him for what the Twins got for Santana or what the Indians got for Sabathia.
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Postby kab21 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:14 pm

mt99808 wrote:I don't see anyway Halladay gets traded unless you get an absolute stud young pitcher in return plus ...

Kershaw + ...
Hanson + ....
Feliz & Smoak

There is no way the Jays are gonna part with him for what the Twins got for Santana or what the Indians got for Sabathia.

The Indians did pretty well in the CC trade. The first mistake that a team can make is trying to acquire a stud prospect at a certain position. If you are making a deal like this you try to acquire the most talent regardless of position. This is one thing that hurt the Twins in dealing Johan they were structuring every deal with a CF prospect in mind.

I think there would be one stud prospect and a couple of intriguing upside guys at a minimum since the Jays don't need to trade him (they haven't backed themselves into a corner yet).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 518)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:35 pm

the Jays dont really need any pitching in return. they have some young pitching allready on the big club plus good pitching in the minors.
Shaun Marcum. will be back this season after tommy john surgery.
Ricky Romero
Brett Cecil
David Purcey
Brad Mills
Marc Rzepczynski
then theres..
Dustin McGowan, but word is he might not pitch again ever.
Jesse Listch. just recently had tommy john surgery.
dont know if im forgetting anyone important.

theyre allready deep in OF, unless they could trade one of Wells or Rios. Wells and his contract are pretty much unmovable, even if you try and include him with Halladay. then they also have Adam Lind and Travis Snider.
they allready have some other hitting prospects like C JP Arencibia and 1B David Cooper.

i think what they Jays would be looking for are 3B and SS.
im sure if there are prospects are other positions like P/OF/ect they could be interested.. but 3B/SS should be where they are looking to improve.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 512)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:44 pm

Ricciardi said nothing today that he hasn't said before. His comments really were blown out of proportion for the 2nd July in a row. As always, if the Jays can get some ridiculous package with 3 major league ready players/ high level prospects, then Halladay could be traded. And even then, that's only a could, not a will.

I still can't exactly see the upside from Ricciardi's perspective here. If Halladay is dealt, it would signal an entire franchise rebuild. Everyone on the team outside of Rios, Lind, Hill, Snider and the young pitching would also have to be dealt (it would be odd to see this, because the story from management for the last 9 months has been that they will attempt to contend in 2010) . But Ricciardi is only under contract until 2010, and there is no way ownership allows him to undertake another rebuild. So what possible reason is there to do this from his perspective? And from a marketing perspective? Well any Roy Halladay trade would damage the team's fan base beyond repair for quite a few years.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:48 pm

SpecialFNK wrote: they have enough other pitching to still succeed with him gone next season and after.

Make no mistake about this...if the Jays trade Roy Halladay, they will reside in last place in the AL East for the foreseeable future. No amount of young pitching depth has the effect that a Roy Halladay does on wins. Any trade of Doc is a change in the direction of the franchise.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:52 pm

Yoda wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:ZOMG.

Under/Over mweir145 posts in this thread........ 51

;-7

I'll take the over... Best pitcher ever, blah, blah, blah. :-D

Best pitcher right now is Roy Halladay. Best pitcher ever...well it's probably Roger Clemens.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Chicago RedSox » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:01 pm

mweir145 wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote: they have enough other pitching to still succeed with him gone next season and after.

Make no mistake about this...if the Jays trade Roy Halladay, they will reside in last place in the AL East for the foreseeable future. No amount of young pitching depth has the effect that a Roy Halladay does on wins. Any trade of Doc is a change in the direction of the franchise.

I'm not going to pretend to know anywhere near as much about the Jays as you do, but I have trouble seeing how trading Halladay is such a life and death move for them. They still have a very talented core of players without him and the return the Jays would get would certainly be an impressive one. He's only one player and a pitcher at that, he only contributes every 5 days. If they got someone like Hanson (who could replace 80%+ of Halladays numbers) plus some other top prospects they would still be putting a possible contender on the field, with the chance to improve over the next few years as the prospects develop. Am I missing something?
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:15 pm

Chicago RedSox wrote:I'm not going to pretend to know anywhere near as much about the Jays as you do, but I have trouble seeing how trading Halladay is such a life and death move for them. They still have a very talented core of players without him and the return the Jays would get would certainly be an impressive one. He's only one player and a pitcher at that, he only contributes every 5 days.

#1. You don't trade the most valuable pitcher in baseball if you think there is a legitimate chance you'll make the playoffs next season. It's a franchise-altering decision if there ever was one.

#2. A talented core of Hill, Rios, Lind, Snider, Romero and whatever you get from the Halladay deal still pales in comparison to anything that the Red Sox, Rays, and Yankees can send out for the next few years.

If they got someone like Hanson (who could replace 80%+ of Halladays numbers) plus some other top prospects they would still be putting a possible contender on the field, with the chance to improve over the next few years as the prospects develop. Am I missing something?

Expecting Hanson to replace even 50% of Halladay's production (you think he could produce 100 IP of 2.80 ERA ball in the East?) is a complete stretch. And this Jays team without Halladay would be significantly below .500 in the division. It would take more than a few years for the Jays to have a real shot again.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:18 pm

the number one goal for the future should be to win, that in turn will make the fans happy. if the Jays could trade Halladay and become a contending team im sure the fans arnt going to have any regret about trading away Halladay.

there are other players on the team that should be dealt. BJ Ryan should have been traded in the offseason, that would have saved some money ..but right now with his contract and injury history hes another player whos unmovable.
Overbay/Rolen/Scutaro/Barajas/Millar/ect should all be available.
in any other division the Jays would be a playoff caliber team, but in the East with NY/BOS/TB it takes more. the Jays are not a team that are able to afford to have a high payroll.

trading Halladay for multiple players that could help at needed positions could make the team better for the future, while also saving money to use where needed. starting pitching isnt a necessity, as i mentioned there are plenty of other quality pitchers to fill out the rotation. im sure the Jays could trade one(or more) of the other pitchers, but your not going to get the same quality in return as you could get for one of the best pitchers in baseball right now.

Halladays numbers the last 2 seasons make him one of the best in baseball, and why they should get a big package in return ..but IMO signing him long term based on these recent numbers for the price is a mistake because i dont think Halladay remains at this level for much longer.
2009.. 10-2, 2.79 ERA, 1.09 WHIP
2008.. 20-11, 2.78 ERA, 1.05 WHIP
elite! ..for now.
career.. 3.47 ERA, 1.20 WHIP
what happens in another 3-4 years when his numbers are consistently more like what he had in 2007? good, but not elite. hes been a work horse with alot of innings over the last few seasons, those could catch up to him aswell.

im sure the Jays could not trade Halladay, sign him to an extension for the amount of money its going to cost.. and remain an average team for years to come.
what have the Jays done WITH Halladay?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 512)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers