Roy Halladay trade thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roy Halladay trade thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roy Halladay trade thread

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:08 pm

Jays GM JP Ricciardi has said he will be listening to offers for Roy Halladay.
rotoworld.com
Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi said Sunday that he's willing to listen to offers for right-hander Roy Halladay.
It's the first time Ricciardi has publicly admitted that his ace is on the block. "We have to see what's out there," said the GM. "I'm not saying we're going to shop him. But if something makes sense, we at least have to listen. We're (leaning) more toward listening than we've ever been." It's going to take a large package of prospects, but the Jays can expect several phone calls.

rototimes.com
According to FoxSports.com, Blue Jays' GM J.P. Ricciardi has indicated that ace Roy Halladay is on the trade block. "I'm not saying we're going to shop him. But if something makes sense, we at least have to listen. We're leaning more toward listening than we've ever been."

Our View: This is pretty major news coming out of Toronto, as it has been thought for years that Halladay was untouchable. There would obviously have to be a huge offer made for the Jays to even think about moving him, but the fact he is out there will have some big market contenders scrambling to put together some large packages. We will keep you updated on the Halladay sweepstakes.

WILL he be traded?
any ideas on who the Jays could get in return?
he is signed through the end of next season at $14.25 MIL this season and $15.75 MIL next season.

IMO the Jays should trade Halladay if they get the right package. they have enough other pitching to still succeed with him gone next season and after. i dont think its worth the money to sign him beyond 2010 for the ages he will be. he is 32 years old right now. he will turn 33 next season. in 2011 when his next contract would begin he would be turning 34 in May of that season. he is likely to get a long term contract of ages mid to late 30's, at $20+ MIL a season. is he really going to be worth $20+ MIL a season for the Jays in his mid to late 30's?

he is an elite pitcher right now and should get a great package of players in return. what Sabathia did with Milwaukee next season, Halladay could do better.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Roy Halladay trade thread

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:17 pm

there are some suggestions over at mlbtraderumors.com
Roy Halladay's Potential Suitors
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 7 at 8:54am CST]

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Jays are open to offers for Roy Halladay. This doesn't mean the Jays will deal heir ace; it just means they'll consider moving him for the right group of players. Here is Rosenthal's "largely speculative" list of possible destinations for the Jays righty:

* Yankees - Rosenthal says the Jays will not hesitate to dangle Halladay to the Yankees and Red Sox. Phil Hughes could head an offer.
* Red Sox - The Red Sox could start an offer with Clay Buchholz, but they may prefer to hold onto Buchholz or use him as a trade chip to try and lure Victor Martinez away from the Indians.
* Phillies - Rosenthal hears they've asked about Halladay repeatedly in recent years. The Phillies have an appealing group of prospects, but they could have trouble taking on the $7MM remaining on Doc's deal.
* White Sox - The White Sox were in on Jake Peavy, so they could make a play for Halladay. As Rosenthal says, Clayton Richard and Aaron Poreda wouldn't be enough, but they also have Gordon Beckham.
* Dodgers - They'd likely have to part with Chad Billingsley or Clayton Kershaw to obtain Halladay.
* Rangers - The Rangers have the prospects, but not the money.
* Cubs - Until Jim Hendry gets the go-ahead to add payroll the Cubs are an unlikely destination, especially because they don't have big-name prospects to tempt the Jays.
* Angels - Probably lack the premium pieces the Jays would seek.
* Brewers - Alcides Escobar would appeal to the Jays, who don't have an answer at short after Marco Scutaro becomes a free agent this year. But Escobar's untouchable, and probably wouldn't net Halladay on his own.
* Mets - Omar Minaya would have to empty the farm system to acquire Halladay.
* Braves - Rosenthal says they're a longshot, especially since they have pitching depth already.
* I see the Phillies and Brewers as the best fits, since they crave pitching, have young talent and play in another league.

some are laughable. the Dodgers are NOT going to trade Billingsley to get Halladay.
the Brewers should be considering Halladay ..and eventhough they were mentioned as untouchable, Gamel and Escobar have to be in there.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:20 pm

ZOMG.

Under/Over mweir145 posts in this thread........ 51

;-7
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Chicago RedSox » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:29 pm

My first thought was the Phillies, and maybe one of the NY teams. It would be great if the Jays could package him with Wells and his albatross contract, but I'm pretty sure Wells has a no-trade clause, so that would likely be difficult.

And what about Tampa Bay? They have plenty of young talent and could use a veteran ace to make a push for the playoffs. And their payroll is low enough that they could take on his 15 mill contract...
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jlm53089 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Will he really be traded in the division?
If so....
Brignac and Sonnastine are out there :-°
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:41 pm

I just don't see them trading him in the division unless they get an offer they just cannot refuse. I'm sure they don't want to have to go out there and face him several times during the season. Brewers or Phils, as was already suggested, would be great spots for him but either team is going to have be willing to go for broke on this one and I just don't know if the Brewers are going to make another move like this after doing the CC deal last year.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Chicago RedSox » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:41 pm

jlm53089 wrote:Will he really be traded in the division?

Probably not. In all likely hood he's not going anywhere. But it would be nice if he was traded to the NL West so we could see who's really better, Timmy or Doc.
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:07 pm

AussieDodger wrote:ZOMG.

Under/Over mweir145 posts in this thread........ 51

;-7

I'll take the over... Best pitcher ever, blah, blah, blah. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby silverZ » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:49 pm

He's not going anywhere.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:59 pm

I might be crazy but there is one team that has a stocked farm system, needs pitching help and is in the playoff hunt for the first time in a while... the Texas Rangers.

I'm sure 29 other teams would love to have him too but I'd expect Toronto to ask for the moon.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers