Constantly starting the wrong guys - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Constantly starting the wrong guys

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Constantly starting the wrong guys

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:46 am

Yeah, I got cute by sitting Choo last night too, facing a lefty. With Hamilton and Aramis back from the DL, I'm stuck playing the matchup games until I can swing a trade.

(And add me to the list of those who got frustrated and sat Ethier on the exact day he hit 3 HRs :~( ).
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HipHipJorge » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:27 pm

Oh A. Hill in weekly H2H :~(
HipHipJorge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fezzik » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:19 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
bigken117 wrote:this is why I don't carry bench hitters. Nothing worse than following the stats based matchups and leaving a home run on your bench.

No. What's worse is not carrying bench hitters. It makes absolutely zero sense not to.

Yeah sure you pull the wrong reign sometimes but overall luck will even out. I simply cannot fathom the mentality of not having depth (if your league allows it) in your hitting roster. There are very few negatives and plenty of positives.

It's a no brainer.

This is so genuinely bad advice, at least as some sort of blanket statement.

First, I've found pitching depth is significantly more important in weekly H2H leagues...it's a no-brainer if you will. In all of the daily H2H leagues I play in streaming pitchers is either against the rules or adjustments have been made to the league settings/scoring categories to inhibit it. In addition, the quality of SPs on the waiver wire in these leagues is pretty terrible. Having one solid OF replacement and decent utility guy is pretty much all you need for daily H2H leagues IMO...depending on the depth of the league, you may not even need that.

The only format where having extensive offensive depth is beneficial is a daily roto league, where in my experience it's true that there are more quality SPs available. Playing hitting matchups over the course of the season and maximizing the games played at each position is crucial...an argument could be made for it being valuable in a daily H2H league, but the settings would have to be non-standard (such as having a relatively low IP cap per week, which would devalue pitching depth...or maybe no DL spots).

Size or rosters/number of teams also makes a difference.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby NZ Eff » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:17 am

fezzik wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:
bigken117 wrote:this is why I don't carry bench hitters. Nothing worse than following the stats based matchups and leaving a home run on your bench.

No. What's worse is not carrying bench hitters. It makes absolutely zero sense not to.

Yeah sure you pull the wrong reign sometimes but overall luck will even out. I simply cannot fathom the mentality of not having depth (if your league allows it) in your hitting roster. There are very few negatives and plenty of positives.

It's a no brainer.

This is so genuinely bad advice, at least as some sort of blanket statement.

First, I've found pitching depth is significantly more important in weekly H2H leagues...it's a no-brainer if you will. In all of the daily H2H leagues I play in streaming pitchers is either against the rules or adjustments have been made to the league settings/scoring categories to inhibit it. In addition, the quality of SPs on the waiver wire in these leagues is pretty terrible. Having one solid OF replacement and decent utility guy is pretty much all you need for daily H2H leagues IMO...depending on the depth of the league, you may not even need that.

The only format where having extensive offensive depth is beneficial is a daily roto league, where in my experience it's true that there are more quality SPs available. Playing hitting matchups over the course of the season and maximizing the games played at each position is crucial...an argument could be made for it being valuable in a daily H2H league, but the settings would have to be non-standard (such as having a relatively low IP cap per week, which would devalue pitching depth...or maybe no DL spots).

Size or rosters/number of teams also makes a difference.

if you read the original post it's blatantly obvious we're not talking about weekly leagues. That's a no brainer.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby fezzik » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:48 am

NZ Eff wrote:if you read the original post it's blatantly obvious we're not talking about weekly leagues. That's a no brainer.

I read the original post. Sure, the OP was talking about daily leagues...but there was no way of knowing you were restricting your response to daily leagues.

Regardless, IMO pitching depth is more valuable than hitting depth in H2H daily leagues...generally speaking.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:54 am

My rule... Start your best player. Unless injury is involved I will disregard all matchups and start the best player.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ivanhack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:28 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:My rule... Start your best player. Unless injury is involved I will disregard all matchups and start the best player.

;-D

I agree with this 100%. Every time I get cute and play matchups and bench my better player I get burned.
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:53 am

ivanhack wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:My rule... Start your best player. Unless injury is involved I will disregard all matchups and start the best player.

;-D

I agree with this 100%. Every time I get cute and play matchups and bench my better player I get burned.

sounds so simple but damn it's so tempting to take out your left handed bats when they face a lefty. sometimes it works because that player won't even start against the lefty. but then your replacement goes 0-5! !+)

but yeah i tried to stick it out with some guys this year, like willy taveras (who couldn't get a hit for like 3 weeks but kept starting because i was near the bottom in steals) and it cost me dearly in the AVG category. same with alfonso soriano. with those 2 guys, i now own a 1 in the AVG category. :-P
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Bwanna » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:54 am

ivanhack wrote:

;-D

How do you determine who's 'best'? Sure, I'm going to start Manny over Zobrist if I have to choose, that's a no brainer. But when you're dealing with two fairly equal players, it ain't so easy to determine 'best'...
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 243)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:02 am

Bwanna wrote:
ivanhack wrote:

;-D

How do you determine who's 'best'? Sure, I'm going to start Manny over Zobrist if I have to choose, that's a no brainer. But when you're dealing with two fairly equal players, it ain't so easy to determine 'best'...

exactly.

if i have to choose starting matt holliday or juan rivera right now, i am starting juan rivera although holliday is thought to be the better player. holliday's last HR before last night was over a month ago, while rivera has only been the hottest player on the planet.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers