Constantly starting the wrong guys - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Constantly starting the wrong guys

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Constantly starting the wrong guys

Postby jsphlly » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:09 am

I play the matchups, I've got the splits memorized, I go with hunches, I leave guys in for X amount of games... it doesn't matter.

This year it's been a combination of Chonesy, A. Hill and Choo.

Is it just luck? Or am I doing something wrong?
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Constantly starting the wrong guys

Postby soxfan364 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:34 am

I know the feeling, my year is going like this too. I say it's just bad luck.
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby fiz » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:06 pm

+1 on this. It's crazy. Each night you can hear me say "Again?" It's coming to the point that I want trade away or drop my bench offense, just to stop screwing myself.
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby rainman23 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:43 pm

This is why I like to have exactly as many first-rate bats as I have non-bench positions. As soon as I start having doubts about what my starting lineup should be, I start looking to make a deal. Those guys on the bench break your heart.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:53 pm

rainman23 wrote:This is why I like to have exactly as many first-rate bats as I have non-bench positions. As soon as I start having doubts about what my starting lineup should be, I start looking to make a deal. Those guys on the bench break your heart.

Agreed. Too many years of the pain (although I'm sure it's like poker where you only remember your "bad beats") has led me to ride with as little of an offensive bench as possible.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:01 pm

this is why I don't carry bench hitters. Nothing worse than following the stats based matchups and leaving a home run on your bench.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:44 pm

bigken117 wrote:this is why I don't carry bench hitters. Nothing worse than following the stats based matchups and leaving a home run on your bench.

I share a similar philosophy. I'm in 3 leagues this year. In one league, I currently carry no bench bats, but I had only one for most of the season. In another league, which I don't pay too much attention to beyond starting my pitchers, I carry no bench bats so I don't have to spend extra time playing match-ups. Finally, in a weekly league I'm in, I carry a few positional bats and spare bench bats, but that's really just to plug in injured players/cold streaks, AND because of the fact that it's weekly, there's not much sense having too deep of a pitching staff either. Even still, I only carry 2 bench bats in that league.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby ivanhack » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Nobody will top this one....

Andre Ethier was struggling for weeks. So on June 26th I finally decide to bench him and start Michael Cuddyer. Ethier slugs 3 homers with 6 rbi!! :~(

Another one: In my points league we can only start 2 closers at a time. I've been starting Kerry Wood but I was finally fed up and I benched him for Leo Nunez last Saturday. Of course Dan Meyer gets the save for the Marlins and Wood gets a save on my bench. I end up losing last week by 10 points. Kerry Wood scored 13 points on my bench on Saturday. :~( !+)
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:54 pm

ivanhack wrote:Nobody will top this one....

Andre Ethier was struggling for weeks. So on June 26th I finally decide to bench him and start Michael Cuddyer. Ethier slugs 3 homers with 6 rbi!! :~(

Another one: In my points league we can only start 2 closers at a time. I've been starting Kerry Wood but I was finally fed up and I benched him for Leo Nunez last Saturday. Of course Dan Meyer gets the save for the Marlins and Wood gets a save on my bench. I end up losing last week by 10 points. Kerry Wood scored 13 points on my bench on Saturday. :~( !+)

I had Ethier on the bench for that game as well, after having him start for almost 2 weeks with barely any life after he had that 2-homer game (which he was also on my bench for). I immediately got so angry that I perma-benched Hunter Pence and later dropped him outright so Ethier could play every day on my team. Moral of the story - never carry a deep offensive bench!!
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby NZ Eff » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:59 pm

bigken117 wrote:this is why I don't carry bench hitters. Nothing worse than following the stats based matchups and leaving a home run on your bench.

No. What's worse is not carrying bench hitters. It makes absolutely zero sense not to.

Yeah sure you pull the wrong reign sometimes but overall luck will even out. I simply cannot fathom the mentality of not having depth (if your league allows it) in your hitting roster. There are very few negatives and plenty of positives.

It's a no brainer.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers