Your Soc Sec Number: I Know It - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Your Soc Sec Number: I Know It

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Your Soc Sec Number: I Know It

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:34 am

StlSluggers wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Identity theft is caused by being stupid not by someone knowing your social security number.

That's not true. A guy got my SSN 7 years ago, and without my name, birth date, or address, managed to get a $1,500 CC issued to him. He almost had a $2,000 Mac coming his way, too.

Identity theft is caused by being stupid not by someone knowing your social security number.

:-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:42 am

I am less concerned about identity theft than anyone I know. I essentially take zero steps to prevent it. So far so good, though.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby markj11 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:50 am

Art Vandelay wrote:I am less concerned about identity theft than anyone I know. I essentially take zero steps to prevent it. So far so good, though.

I agree, I sent my info to a banker in Nigeria the other day and am about to be rollin.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:55 am

Tavish wrote:
WashingtonPost.com wrote:Researchers: Social Security Numbers Can Be Guessed

Really, they can be guessed? Hope nobody is planning on writing their college thesis based on this, my 5 year old knew this.

Is your SSN 000000001?
No? How about 000000002?

No, Mr Burns has 0000000002. :-°
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:00 am

StlSluggers wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Identity theft is caused by being stupid not by someone knowing your social security number.

That's not true. A guy got my SSN 7 years ago, and without my name, birth date, or address, managed to get a $1,500 CC issued to him. He almost had a $2,000 Mac coming his way, too.

I always knew Mac users were criminals
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:04 am

dream_017 wrote:Wow, I also found this 8-o

Researchers: Phone Numbers Can Be Guessed

Researchers have found that it is possible to guess many -- if not all -- of the ten digits in an individual's phone number using publicly available information, a finding they say compromises the security of one of the most widely used consumer identifiers in the United States.

Many numbers could be guessed at by simply knowing a person's geography data, the researchers from Carnegie Mellon University said.
The researchers at Carnegie Mellon set out to see if they could discover people's numbers by first exploiting what is publicly known about how the numbers are derived.

The phone number's first three digits -- called the "area code" -- is issued according to the Zip code of the mailing address provided in the application form. The fourth, fifth and sixth digits -- known as the "prefix" -- transition slowly, and often remain constant for a given region. The last four digits are assigned randomly.

As a result, phone numbers assigned in the same state to applicants living on the same street are likely to contain the same first five or six digits, particularly in states with smaller populations.

If you can't, don't feel badly about yourself. With my special training program, anyone can guess 100 phone numbers in 7 weeks
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:09 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
dream_017 wrote:Wow, I also found this 8-o

Researchers: Phone Numbers Can Be Guessed

Researchers have found that it is possible to guess many -- if not all -- of the ten digits in an individual's phone number using publicly available information, a finding they say compromises the security of one of the most widely used consumer identifiers in the United States.

Many numbers could be guessed at by simply knowing a person's geography data, the researchers from Carnegie Mellon University said.
The researchers at Carnegie Mellon set out to see if they could discover people's numbers by first exploiting what is publicly known about how the numbers are derived.

The phone number's first three digits -- called the "area code" -- is issued according to the Zip code of the mailing address provided in the application form. The fourth, fifth and sixth digits -- known as the "prefix" -- transition slowly, and often remain constant for a given region. The last four digits are assigned randomly.

As a result, phone numbers assigned in the same state to applicants living on the same street are likely to contain the same first five or six digits, particularly in states with smaller populations.

If you can't, don't feel badly about yourself. With my special training program, anyone can guess 100 phone numbers in 7 weeks

I bet I can guess 100 phone numbers a day.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:17 am

BILLY MAYS HERE FOR THE PHONE GUESSING TRAINING PROGRAM! TIRED OF USING THE INTERNET AND BOOKS MADE OF ENVIRONMENTALLY DETRIMENTAL PAPER TO FIND YOUR PHONE NUMBERS. WITH THE PGTP YOU CAN GUESS OVER 100 PHONE NUMBERS IN MERELY WEEKS! CALL NOW AND GET THE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER GUESSER FOR ABSOLUTELY FREE! THATS TWO PRIVACY INVASION TOOLS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE. HERE'S HOW TO ORDER!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:23 am

acsguitar wrote:BILLY MAYS HERE FOR THE PHONE GUESSING TRAINING PROGRAM! TIRED OF USING THE INTERNET AND BOOKS MADE OF ENVIRONMENTALLY DETRIMENTAL PAPER TO FIND YOUR PHONE NUMBERS. WITH THE PGTP YOU CAN GUESS OVER 100 PHONE NUMBERS IN MERELY WEEKS! CALL NOW AND GET THE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER GUESSER FOR ABSOLUTELY FREE! THATS TWO PRIVACY INVASION TOOLS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE. HERE'S HOW TO ORDER!

:-b you should get a jester icon for that one
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:40 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Tavish wrote:
WashingtonPost.com wrote:Researchers: Social Security Numbers Can Be Guessed

Really, they can be guessed? Hope nobody is planning on writing their college thesis based on this, my 5 year old knew this.

Is your SSN 000000001?
No? How about 000000002?

No, Mr Burns has 0000000002. :-°

Damn you, FDR!

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk