Anyone Play Guitar? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anyone Play Guitar?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Anyone Play Guitar?

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:23 pm

Great stuff guys, this is helping A LOT.

I thought the craigslist suggestion was a great idea so I did some looking around and found quite a few reasonably priced guitars nearby. However, I really don't know enough to pick one out from the group so some further advice would be much appreciated.

New York Pro - $80
Jumbo Acoustic Guitar - $90
Looks nice, but Make not Listed - $125
Fender Acoustic Guitar - $140
Samick Guitar - $225
Yamaha Guitar - $250
Alvarez 12 String Guitar - $275

Do any of these look good? And once again, any advice is greatly appreciated. ;-D ;-D
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:47 pm

I'd go to a shop- You don't want to buy a guitar that is uncomfortable to play. I mean, you're fingers are going to hurt at first regardless but you don't want to buy a guitar that's too big or too small for you and you want to be able to push down the strings with some ease. I bought my Yamaha new for 50 dollars less than that but shopped around so you can easily find a guitar that's right for you in your price range.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:22 am

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Great stuff guys, this is helping A LOT.

I thought the craigslist suggestion was a great idea so I did some looking around and found quite a few reasonably priced guitars nearby. However, I really don't know enough to pick one out from the group so some further advice would be much appreciated.

New York Pro - $80
Jumbo Acoustic Guitar - $90
Looks nice, but Make not Listed - $125
Fender Acoustic Guitar - $140
Samick Guitar - $225
Yamaha Guitar - $250
Alvarez 12 String Guitar - $275

Do any of these look good? And once again, any advice is greatly appreciated. ;-D ;-D

"jumbo" and 12 string are not something you want. I wouldn't bother using craigslist for one of those $80 jobs, you could go to a guitar store and get something like this:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jasmine-by- ... 1148992.gc
*link sucks, it's a Jasmine by Takamine ($130)
which I happen to have one sitting around, for just a little more. There should be a Yamaha and a Fender around that price range, too. At a guitar store you can feel them out a bit and see which one is right for you. Not having played before that's going to be hard to do unless you have needs (such as having small hands - some acoustic guitars are darn difficult to play if you've got small hands).
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:26 am

IllinoisBandit wrote:I didn't see it mentioned, but depending on your area craigslist is a pretty fantastic place to pick up a used guitar (the way to go IMO). If you're into rock or the blues I'd go straight for an electric - probably a MIM strat. Mexican strats are not only affordable, but a guitar you can literally gig or jam with out of the box.

For reference, I got a 2001 crimson MIM strat in perfect condition with a decent solid state amp for 350 recently. The economy is causing quite a few people to unload their #2 or #3 guitars at reasonable prices.

Of course, decent guitars are a little easier to come by when you live in Nashville/Memphis.

Coming from Nashville/Memphis wouldn't you play Gee-tar? That's a different instrument all together isn't it? !+) ;-7
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:46 am

AussieDodger wrote:
IllinoisBandit wrote:I didn't see it mentioned, but depending on your area craigslist is a pretty fantastic place to pick up a used guitar (the way to go IMO). If you're into rock or the blues I'd go straight for an electric - probably a MIM strat. Mexican strats are not only affordable, but a guitar you can literally gig or jam with out of the box.

For reference, I got a 2001 crimson MIM strat in perfect condition with a decent solid state amp for 350 recently. The economy is causing quite a few people to unload their #2 or #3 guitars at reasonable prices.

Of course, decent guitars are a little easier to come by when you live in Nashville/Memphis.

Coming from Nashville/Memphis wouldn't you play Gee-tar? That's a different instrument all together isn't it? !+) ;-7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEIBmGZxAhg
If only I could yodel...
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:39 am

jfg wrote:I'd go to a shop- You don't want to buy a guitar that is uncomfortable to play. I mean, you're fingers are going to hurt at first regardless but you don't want to buy a guitar that's too big or too small for you and you want to be able to push down the strings with some ease. I bought my Yamaha new for 50 dollars less than that but shopped around so you can easily find a guitar that's right for you in your price range.

Yeah I think I'll go to a shop. I thought maybe one of those one craigslist was a steal that I wasn't noticing. I'll bring someone along with me who knows a thing or two about guitars. Between them, the salesman, and my intuition, I should walk out with something decent.

Thanks for all the help guys. ;-D
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby twistedude » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:55 am

For a starter acoustic, Yamaha and Seagull are both great selections. I've been playing guitar for 15+ years and have owned several Seagulls, and would still be happy if it was my only guitar. They are very well crafted, have a beautiful tone, and will only run you between $250-300ish for a brand new one. Yamahas are solid and dependable too, but a notch below Seagull in overall quality.

Make sure to stay away from classical guitars - they look alot like acoustics, but have nylon strings. They are difficult for beginners to learn on because of the extra wide necks.
twistedude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 37)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:03 am

I've been playing guitar for almost 16 years now.

So here's some advice.

1. Decide why you are playing. Is it for fun or for a career or to pick up chicks. Usually 2 of the 3 apply.

2. What's your price range?

3. Keep practicing. You will suck really bad for like 3 months before you even learn to play a nirvana song.

4. Get a Washburn, Yahmaha, or a peavy if you are looking for cheap but good.

5. Are you trying to learn how to read music or using tab? Tab is easier to teach yourself with and you will get the dexterity/skill out of it but your music theory will most likely be lacking (thats the case with me).

Play a bunch of guitars before you buy
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:07 pm

acsguitar wrote:I've been playing guitar for almost 16 years now.

So here's some advice.

1. Decide why you are playing. Is it for fun or for a career or to pick up chicks. Usually 2 of the 3 apply.

2. What's your price range?

3. Keep practicing. You will suck really bad for like 3 months before you even learn to play a nirvana song.

4. Get a Washburn, Yahmaha, or a peavy if you are looking for cheap but good.

5. Are you trying to learn how to read music or using tab? Tab is easier to teach yourself with and you will get the dexterity/skill out of it but your music theory will most likely be lacking (thats the case with me).

Play a bunch of guitars before you buy

1) Fun and in the future, probably pick up chicks (I'm set at the moment).
2) Under $300
3) I understand that.
4) I'm thinking Yamaha F335 Acoustic Guitar.
5) I played trumpet in high school so I know how to read music for the most part. But based on what I've heard I'll probably start learning tab.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby phillyphan12 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:28 pm

I just graduated high school and as a senior I took a beginner guitar class...Best thing i could have done. Once i bought my guitar I knew a bunch of simple songs already from the class as well as most open and power chords. I definately recommend that once you get your guitar, look around on youtube for those basic lessons of open chords and power chords(they are all over that site) and what you learn from that will help you with soooooooooooooo many songs you know.
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk