Anyone Play Guitar? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anyone Play Guitar?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone Play Guitar?

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:55 pm

I've considered doing this for a while, and I think this week I'm finally going to pony up and buy a guitar to start learning on. At this point, I don't need anything spectacular, but I'd like it to at least be of good quality. I'm thinking acoustic is definitely the way to go to start out with, but beyond that I don't really have any idea.

To anyone who knows anything about guitars, What should I be looking for?
Last edited by jake_twothousandfive on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone Play Guitar?

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:10 pm

Do you have a specific price range in mind? Acoustic will definitely be tougher on your fingers at first which might make it a little discouraging at some points, but you should definitely go with whichever you would rather play.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:18 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:Do you have a specific price range in mind? Acoustic will definitely be tougher on your fingers at first which might make it a little discouraging at some points, but you should definitely go with whichever you would rather play.

I wouldn't want to go for more than a few hundred dollars right now until I figure out just how much I enjoy it. I mostly just want something that's reasonably priced but isn't so cheap that it sounds like crap.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:58 pm

I just started playing less than a week ago, actually. I got an electric guitar from a friend that hasn't used it in years. Free to borrow, and $70 should I choose to keep both the guitar and amp. ;-D

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:17 pm

if you want an acoustic, for few hundred bucks most people recommend yamaha i have noticed.

a lot of people like used but for a few hundred, it might be hard to get a higher end brand like martin or taylor.

so i'd look into yamaha or seagull, they supposedly have the best value.

i'm a beginner too, but i have really crappy cheap beginner guitars. for my next one i will probably look into getting a seagull.

one tip i always hear is don't choose the guitar based on playability, since those can be adjusted to your tastes afterwards. what you need to base it on is the sound/tone and how comfortable the neck is. since that's hard for a beginner to judge, you might want to go check them out with someone who knows a bit about guitars.

also certain guitars are more suited for different playing styles, such as fingerstyle vs strumming. and there are different sizes, dreadnoughts are big and have the best sound, but many prefer something smaller like a concert or OO/OOO size.

read up on it on the web, like http://www.eltjohaselhoff.com/a_good_ac ... guitar.htm
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby phillyphan12 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:14 pm

I just started playing maybe 6 months or so ago...I have a Fender starter guitar called a "Starcaster" and bought it for $200, along with the crappy amp. I think it turned out to be a good idea. I`m learning with it, it was cheap, and to someone who is new at guitar it will sound pretty good too. When I have the money I`ll upgrade to a legit (and obviously more expensive) guitar, but I think starting off with a cheap one like I have is the right way to go.
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:29 pm

phillyphan12 wrote:I just started playing maybe 6 months or so ago...I have a Fender starter guitar called a "Starcaster" and bought it for $200, along with the crappy amp. I think it turned out to be a good idea. I`m learning with it, it was cheap, and to someone who is new at guitar it will sound pretty good too. When I have the money I`ll upgrade to a legit (and obviously more expensive) guitar, but I think starting off with a cheap one like I have is the right way to go.

I got something similar when I started. It lasted me a good 5 years, until I recently upgraded to an Epiphone Les Paul, which I'm absolutely in love with.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:31 pm

Go to a guitar shop and test how comfortable you feel sitting with each guitar and how easy it is to press down the strings. Your first guitar doesn't have to sound amazing, it just needs to sound decent and be easy to learn on. I bought my wife a Yamaha APX500 that is slim and has fast action so it's really easy to use. But, I have played other Yamahas that are the most awkward guitars in the world so don't just go look for a Yamaha.

After you find a guitar that suits you, buy a book of songs you know well by bands that sound relatively simple. The easiest way to learn guitar is to learn a 3-4 chord song and then learn a 5 chord song that incorporates those 3-4 chords and just keep learning how to transition from chord to chord. If you are a Beatles fan I highly recommend using their music to start off with as most of it is relatively simple.

One other suggestion- A lot of people teach themselves how to read tabulature and that's it. To me, that's not really learning how to play guitar but rather learning how to play some songs on guitar. By dedicating yourself to learning chords or even just power chords you're learning the basics of how to play any song you know. Start with chords, riff later.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:47 pm

I didn't see it mentioned, but depending on your area craigslist is a pretty fantastic place to pick up a used guitar (the way to go IMO). If you're into rock or the blues I'd go straight for an electric - probably a MIM strat. Mexican strats are not only affordable, but a guitar you can literally gig or jam with out of the box.

For reference, I got a 2001 crimson MIM strat in perfect condition with a decent solid state amp for 350 recently. The economy is causing quite a few people to unload their #2 or #3 guitars at reasonable prices.

Of course, decent guitars are a little easier to come by when you live in Nashville/Memphis.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:55 pm

jfg wrote:One other suggestion- A lot of people teach themselves how to read tabulature and that's it. To me, that's not really learning how to play guitar but rather learning how to play some songs on guitar. By dedicating yourself to learning chords or even just power chords you're learning the basics of how to play any song you know. Start with chords, riff later.

Yes, I agree. I started out by taking lessons so my teacher made sure I learned chords and some stuff about the actual music (luckily I already knew some scales and how to read music from playing the trumpet in middle school). But one of my friends started playing without any lessons, which is fine, but he just learned to read tabs online and mimic it that way since it was easier. When I tried to play with him one time it was pretty annoying to ask him to play a set of chords or something and him have no idea what I was talking about.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk