Roddick/Federer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Roddick/Federer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Roddick/Federer

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:14 pm

fezzik wrote:I really enjoy the epic tennis finals where two players are well-matched and playing at similar levels. As far as shot-making, last years Wimbledon and this years Australian Open final between Federer and Nadal were simply spectacular...admittedly more fun to watch than this most recent final. I would classify them as epic, although there is definitely something to appreciate in regard to the serving show both players put on. The NFL has seen two of the best superbowls in history the last couple years, but there's something about the one v one aspect of tennis which I find a bit more compelling. For those of you who couldn't care less about tennis, I can appreciate your utter lack of understanding. :-b Anyway, at the very least I would put the crazy 5-setters of Federer/Nadal matches in the same "epic" category as the other big events in sports that captured the attention of the nation/world .

Also, I enjoyed Andy Murray's first round match against Robert Kendrick. Kendrick went to my high school and we graduated the same year. It's pretty cool to see someone you grew up with on a big stage like that...and he took a set from Murray and played him close. I also watched him take Nadal to 5 sets at Wimbledon a few years ago...I guess he saves his best moments for the grass. Too bad he's old like me, so his time on the court won't be lasting much longer. :-D

Name dropper. :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t

*Cough* http://www.cricinfo.com/newzealanddomestic/content/player/36331.html *Cough*
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:32 pm

I'm reading about how you guys loved the back and forth of the Federer-Nadal matches and hated the serve-go of the Federer-Roddick match, and it occurs to me that not only did Federer play in all of those matches, but in 2 of 3, he bested his opponent at his very strength. He really is an amazing player.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby fezzik » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:51 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Name dropper. :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t

*Cough* http://www.cricinfo.com/newzealanddomestic/content/player/36331.html *Cough*

It's not like he and I are/were friends or anything. I just went to middle school and high school with him for 6 years and was remarking upon the surreal nature of seeing someone you grow up with on a grand stage. ;-D

So your buddy plays cricket? That's sweet...
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:52 pm

Knowing first hand how much skill it takes to place your serve in an un-hittable spot made Sunday's match that more amazing to me.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:02 pm

I still wonder what Nadal would have done this year had he stayed healthy. After winning the Australian Open, one had to think that he had a real chance at pulling off the Grand Slam. Though, having seen what Federer did, I suppose it's just as possible that Roger would have figured out a way to beat him.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:13 pm

doubt nadal would win US open. it's not his surface and he's not made it far there in the past.

i think fed let it get to his head with nadal a bit too much. losing straight sets to nadal on clay would i guess but i think his troubles with nadal is a lot more mental. another thing interesting fed mentions is that nadal is a lefty and it's a different look than he's used to.
but yeah, funny how injury of one guy completely changes the outlook on tennis and fed's right to be the greatest ever. just a few months ago, people were saying fed's done or he's on a big decline with nadal beating him in grand slam finals. while nadal was out hurt, fed achieved his career grand slam and set men's record at 15 grand slams.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Carnac » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:27 am

Sampras was a great tennis player, but very boring. Agassi was much more intense on the court and made for more interesting viewing. If you have an American that is dominant AND wears his heart on his sleeve (McEnroe, Connors, Agassi, Tiger, etc.) it makes it much easier to get into their matches. Golf has great ratings when Tiger plays not only because he is a great player, but because he is a great player and shows his competitiveness. Makes compelling TV.

Federer (great but pretty boring to watch)
Nadal (great and exciting to watch)
Tiger (one of a kind, he loves the competition and lets you know he loves it)

I agree that a Federer-Nadal final would have been more compelling. Because Nadal would have made it so. Even so, it was a great 5th set and a good finals.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:34 am

I find a player as good as Federer fascinating to watch. It's the same reason I'm a big fan of Tiger Woods.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:38 am

yeah there is something to be said about the personality portrayed by tennis players. most of them are calm, mild mannered nice guys who don't show ton of emotion these days. in the past there have been larger than life personalities for US tennis but ever since sampras, everyone's been so meh. maybe they just don't feel like marketing themselves. even agassi was at once a flamboyant image is everything guy but he all of a sudden changed to the exact opposite (he became a better player though). i still remember when agassi, during his long hair days was so damn popular. everyone at my school had those ugly nike agassi sneakers. that was the last time i've seen a tennis player who was up there with other pro athletes.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk