Roddick/Federer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Roddick/Federer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Roddick/Federer

Postby Tavish » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:17 pm

JTWood wrote:I've never understood what's appealing about watching golf. It's like watching tennis insomuch as it's easier to appreciate if you understand how complicated the shots are. Except, instead of hundreds of strokes, you get dozens of them. It's super slow tennis with a nice backdrop and no one to return your 350-yard drive.

The two aren't that different in many respects, and likely without Tiger golf would go just as unwatched by the casual fans as tennis does. If Federer was an American and at all a likable tennis might draw a little more interest like it did during the height of Agassi and Sampras years where it could at least compete with the golf majors.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:29 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
JTWood wrote:Tennis will never be exciting, though. It lacks the one thing that any sport must have to be considered exciting in America:

The instant hero.

If you can't win or lose the entire game/match/round/whatever in one, instantaneous moment, Americans will never fully appreciate the sport. That's why hockey, tennis, and soccer won't catch on here in the States nearly to the same extent that they do in other parts of the world.

I think the "instant hero" bit is just one of the symptoms, not the cause as to why certain sports don't catch on in America. In general, Americans have short attention spans. What's presented on the field has to be simple, straightforward, and there has to be something considered eventful for every 10 seconds that elapses. Even the commercials that air during televised sporting events and the way replays are presented are meant to retain your attention. What's more, if a deep understanding of the game entails that one has to "keep their eye off the ball", then most Americans won't bother with it. Soccer is the finest example as to why it doesn't catch on in America. Most people will interpret the action by who has the ball, but don't peer around at the rest of the pitch to see the game within the game, and the width of the field doesn't help matters. However, I do think tennis has more promise as a sport that will be regularly viewed in America because of its simplicity and the idea that something is happening every second or so.

I agree.

I think that in general Americans are not smart enough to appreciate tennis, soccer and hockey. But if it's dumbed down enough it might catch on.

}:-)
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:04 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I agree.

I think that in general Americans are not smart enough to appreciate tennis, soccer and hockey. But if it's dumbed down enough it might catch on.

That is because we do not dominate in those sports.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:13 pm

Yoda wrote:

Given time I'm sure that you'll be the dog's bollucks.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:28 pm

JTWood wrote:I've never understood what's appealing about watching golf. It's like watching tennis insomuch as it's easier to appreciate if you understand how complicated the shots are. Except, instead of hundreds of strokes, you get dozens of them. It's super slow tennis with a nice backdrop and no one to return your 350-yard drive.

I've always looked at golf as a test of mental toughness (particularly during majors). Every professional (with some obvious exceptions) has the same basic abilities on the golf course. They are all capable of driving it straight down the middle, hitting an iron within 10 feet, and knocking down the putt on any given hole. But it is those that are the strongest mentally that win multiple golf tournaments/majors, and excel at the highest level. That's what makes it interesting to me. Though I suppose one could argue the same about tennis, or any other sport.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:31 pm

Tavish wrote:5 hours of nonreturnable serves just doesn't hold my interest. Its arena league football without the cheerleaders.

Last year's Federer/Nadal final was a completely different style.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:09 pm

Maybe if they played the matches in fast forward and set it them to the Benny Hill theme Americans will start enjoying them.

Or maybe if one of the players was trying to solve a murder to The Who music. :-?
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:58 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Maybe if they played the matches in fast forward and set it them to the Benny Hill theme Americans will start enjoying them.

intriguing idea...
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby fezzik » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:17 pm

I really enjoy the epic tennis finals where two players are well-matched and playing at similar levels. As far as shot-making, last years Wimbledon and this years Australian Open final between Federer and Nadal were simply spectacular...admittedly more fun to watch than this most recent final. I would classify them as epic, although there is definitely something to appreciate in regard to the serving show both players put on. The NFL has seen two of the best superbowls in history the last couple years, but there's something about the one v one aspect of tennis which I find a bit more compelling. For those of you who couldn't care less about tennis, I can appreciate your utter lack of understanding. :-b Anyway, at the very least I would put the crazy 5-setters of Federer/Nadal matches in the same "epic" category as the other big events in sports that captured the attention of the nation/world .

Also, I enjoyed Andy Murray's first round match against Robert Kendrick. Kendrick went to my high school and we graduated the same year. It's pretty cool to see someone you grew up with on a big stage like that...and he took a set from Murray and played him close. I also watched him take Nadal to 5 sets at Wimbledon a few years ago...I guess he saves his best moments for the grass. Too bad he's old like me, so his time on the court won't be lasting much longer. :-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:09 pm

Yoda wrote:

why the hell would you be not smart enough to watch tennis, soccer, and hockey and be okay to watch baseball, football, basketball?

and about no american dominating the sport as the reason, maybe little but then when sampras was dominating, it's not like we all got excited over that.

i think americans already have their plate full with NFL and NBA. that plus many people think those 2 sports are "cool" and "hip" because of the the players, often african american ones who seem to have a more appealing and marketable personality and cultural influence (hiphop/gangsta). in america, it's all about marketing of individual stars to idolize and the other sports don't and can't market the same way. it's sorta the same reason why MLB is losing african american players, because baseball ain't cool anymore and you gotta be in the NBA or NFL to be cool.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk