Roddick/Federer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Roddick/Federer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Roddick/Federer

Postby JTWood » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:48 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Yeah this has truly been incredible. Somewhere, JTWood is screeching like a little school girl.

It certainly was an amazing match.

You really have to feel for a guy that only loses his serve once, while breaking his opponent twice, and still loses.

In the end, though, it was the four, missed set points that were Roddick's undoing. :-/

What a way to claim the all-time grand slam record, eh?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:51 pm

Tavish wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Boy you guys really can't read can you. In the last five years tennis has consistently produced the most exciting and epic events in sports. I never once said that the match yesterday was the single most exciting event of the last five years.

It would be much more exciting and epic if it wasn't tennis.

I don't think you can argue with the epic nature of some of these recent tennis matches. They've been simply astounding.

Tennis will never be exciting, though. It lacks the one thing that any sport must have to be considered exciting in America:

The instant hero.

If you can't win or lose the entire game/match/round/whatever in one, instantaneous moment, Americans will never fully appreciate the sport. That's why hockey, tennis, and soccer won't catch on here in the States nearly to the same extent that they do in other parts of the world.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:58 pm

Americans don't care about tennis right now because no American is dominating.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:08 pm

To be completely honest though, the more I read through this thread, the more I'd like to see the match despite the fact that I know nothing about tennis.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Tavish » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:53 pm

JTWood wrote:
Tavish wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Boy you guys really can't read can you. In the last five years tennis has consistently produced the most exciting and epic events in sports. I never once said that the match yesterday was the single most exciting event of the last five years.

It would be much more exciting and epic if it wasn't tennis.

I don't think you can argue with the epic nature of some of these recent tennis matches. They've been simply astounding.

Tennis will never be exciting, though. It lacks the one thing that any sport must have to be considered exciting in America:

The instant hero.

If you can't win or lose the entire game/match/round/whatever in one, instantaneous moment, Americans will never fully appreciate the sport. That's why hockey, tennis, and soccer won't catch on here in the States nearly to the same extent that they do in other parts of the world.

Its not even so much that for me anymore. Golf has that same design and does fairly well for drama and holding viewers attention. I used to love watching tennis, but both the Men's and Women's final this year was the perfect microcosm for why I can't stand watching high level tennis anymore (particularly mens).

5 hours of nonreturnable serves just doesn't hold my interest. Its arena league football without the cheerleaders.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:24 pm

JTWood wrote:Tennis will never be exciting, though. It lacks the one thing that any sport must have to be considered exciting in America:

The instant hero.

I think the "instant hero" bit is just one of the symptoms, not the cause as to why certain sports don't catch on in America. In general, Americans have short attention spans. What's presented on the field has to be simple, straightforward, and there has to be something considered eventful for every 10 seconds that elapses. Even the commercials that air during televised sporting events and the way replays are presented are meant to retain your attention. What's more, if a deep understanding of the game entails that one has to "keep their eye off the ball", then most Americans won't bother with it. Soccer is the finest example as to why it doesn't catch on in America. Most people will interpret the action by who has the ball, but don't peer around at the rest of the pitch to see the game within the game, and the width of the field doesn't help matters. However, I do think tennis has more promise as a sport that will be regularly viewed in America because of its simplicity and the idea that something is happening every second or so.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby JTWood » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:34 pm

Tavish wrote:
JTWood wrote:I don't think you can argue with the epic nature of some of these recent tennis matches. They've been simply astounding.

The instant hero.

Its not even so much that for me anymore. Golf has that same design and does fairly well for drama and holding viewers attention. I used to love watching tennis, but both the Men's and Women's final this year was the perfect microcosm for why I can't stand watching high level tennis anymore (particularly mens).

5 hours of nonreturnable serves just doesn't hold my interest. Its arena league football without the cheerleaders.

I've never understood what's appealing about watching golf. It's like watching tennis insomuch as it's easier to appreciate if you understand how complicated the shots are. Except, instead of hundreds of strokes, you get dozens of them. It's super slow tennis with a nice backdrop and no one to return your 350-yard drive.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:36 pm

That is a good point on the serves. While exciting, it was sort of stupid that Federer had like 40 aces in the final set.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:41 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
JTWood wrote:Tennis will never be exciting, though. It lacks the one thing that any sport must have to be considered exciting in America:

The instant hero.

I think the "instant hero" bit is just one of the symptoms, not the cause as to why certain sports don't catch on in America. In general, Americans have short attention spans. What's presented on the field has to be simple, straightforward, and there has to be something considered eventful for every 10 seconds that elapses. Even the commercials that air during televised sporting events and the way replays are presented are meant to retain your attention. What's more, if a deep understanding of the game entails that one has to "keep their eye off the ball", then most Americans won't bother with it. Soccer is the finest example as to why it doesn't catch on in America. Most people will interpret the action by who has the ball, but don't peer around at the rest of the pitch to see the game within the game, and the width of the field doesn't help matters. However, I do think tennis has more promise as a sport that will be regularly viewed in America because of its simplicity and the idea that something is happening every second or so.

I'm not sure you could sound any more condescending, go ahead and try though...I'll wait. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:08 pm

Metroid wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

The instant hero.

I'm not sure you could sound any more condescending, go ahead and try though...I'll wait. :-D

At least you made it through it. It bored me after two sentences so I went elsewhere.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk