Ranking the Top 50 Yahoo Players - ROTO Style - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ranking the Top 50 Yahoo Players - ROTO Style

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ranking the Top 50 Yahoo Players - ROTO Style

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:06 pm

JMB05 wrote:So by your own admission your findings are flawed. So why are we talking about them?

Wow, ok I admit that I wasn't able to create the perfect ranking system. There are flaws in any ranking format out there.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:07 pm

JMB05 wrote:So by your own admission your findings are flawed. So why are we talking about them?

Just to give an outsider's opinion here, and not trying to instigate here, but you've truthfully come off as nothing more than a tool here.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby JMB05 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:10 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

Just to give an outsider's opinion here, and not trying to instigate here, but you've truthfully come off as nothing more than a tool here.

That's a pretty accurate description. The OP, asked for peoples opinions on his findings. I gave him mine. He doesn't like it.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:15 pm

JMB05 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

That's a pretty accurate description. The OP, asked for peoples opinions on his findings. I gave him mine. He doesn't like it.

I'm pretty sure he quoted you and not me for a reason there.

And of course any post I make on these forums is open for discussion. Why else would I bother?
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JMB05 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:18 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:
JMB05 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Just to give an outsider's opinion here, and not trying to instigate here, but you've truthfully come off as nothing more than a tool here.

I'm pretty sure he quoted you and not me for a reason there.

And of course any post I make on these forums is open for discussion. Why else would I bother?

I realize he called me a tool, your lack of sarcasm skills is shameful.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:26 pm

JMB05 wrote:I realize he called me a tool, your lack of sarcasm skills is shameful.

I guess I did not expect you to agree with a comment like that so openly. But, in hindsight, after discussing this with you for a while I shouldn't have found that very surprising.

And it's a good thing I wasn't trying to be sarcastic in that last response.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JMB05 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:32 pm

JMB05 wrote:I realize he called me a tool, your lack of sarcasm skills is shameful.

I guess I did not expect you to agree with a comment like that so openly. But, in hindsight, after discussing this with you for a while I shouldn't have found that very surprising.

Yep, sarcastic was the wrong word. I was wrong and acknowledged it ;-D

It's just funny that this is what we have digressed to. I get called names because I didn't agree with your original findings. You focus on not liking my posts because I am not praising your findings, rather than taking the points I have given you and using them to improve your results.
Every time I ask about your results you distance yourself as far away from them as possible.
Either way I am the tool.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:41 pm

JMB05 wrote:

It's just funny that this is what we have digressed to. I get called names because I didn't agree with your original findings. You focus on not liking my posts because I am not praising your findings, rather than taking the points I have given you and using them to improve your results.
Every time I ask about your results you distance yourself as far away from them as possible.

Again, my goal was not to insult (and yes, I realize it's impossible not to when calling somebody a name :-b), and I posted my own reservations regarding this method of ranking, as well. This is an extremely simplistic way of ranking players, I don't think there's any arguing that. I highly doubt, though, that the goal here was to ever make Pujols appear any more studly than he actually is. There's very few fantasy ranking systems out there where he'd be anything other than head and shoulders above everybody else right now. Anyway, if you're going to continue snipping at each other, I suggest taking it to PMs, because getting a yellow card over this would just be silly. Keep it rollin', gents. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby JMB05 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:44 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
JMB05 wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:I guess I did not expect you to agree with a comment like that so openly. But, in hindsight, after discussing this with you for a while I shouldn't have found that very surprising.

Again, my goal was not to insult (and yes, I realize it's impossible not to when calling somebody a name :-b), and I posted my own reservations regarding this method of ranking, as well. This is an extremely simplistic way of ranking players, I don't think there's any arguing that. I highly doubt, though, that the goal here was to ever make Pujols appear any more studly than he actually is. There's very few fantasy ranking systems out there where he'd be anything other than head and shoulders above everybody else right now. Anyway, if you're going to continue snipping at each other, I suggest taking it to PMs, because getting a yellow card over this would just be silly. Keep it rollin', gents. ;-D

Definitely didn't feel insulted bigh0rt. I never claimed that the OP did make the list to make Pujols look good. But I also didn't exclude it as a reason why the list looked the way it did.
If he wishes to PM about the matter that is fine.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:47 pm

I haven't resorted to an open flame war (and I won't) but I won't disagree with negative comments about yourself (especially when you agree with them).

You really haven't made many helpful suggestions for how to improve the rankings. You made a fairly obvious observation which you can't see to let go.

We can discuss the rankings all you want. But just realize that I didn't even attempt factor in the relative differences in stat categories themselves, just a ranking of the amongst the players (regardless of the difference between one spot or another...because that's what a Roto league does...hence the name of this thread).

Know that because any ranking system has it's flaws (which I've already pointed out) then a comparison of two or more would be most helpful. Which is what I was doing by creating these rankings. Comparing the results that I got (whatever they may be) to Yahoo's rankings.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers