Ranking the Top 50 Yahoo Players - ROTO Style - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ranking the Top 50 Yahoo Players - ROTO Style

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ranking the Top 50 Yahoo Players - ROTO Style

Postby jlm53089 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:23 pm

Why would he do all this to show how good Pujols is?

We all know how good Pujols is...
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JMB05 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:27 am

jake_twothousandfive wrote:
JMB05 wrote:

You did a good job. That being said I had a realization at work yesterday about this thread. Do you own Pujols?

I am a STL Cardinals freak. I love me some Pujols. But I think that this methodology used to create your list was just to make Pujols look that much better than anyone else, rather than to find a good way to compare Roto players.

Am I close?

Um no, you're not close.

In fact, that's a pretty rediculous/insulting thing to say.

Well then consider yourself insulted. To actually post (twice) is telling me that 1. it was either true, or 2. you realized that your scoring format is skewed.

I don't care which. Funny thing is, I came in here to try and help. I pointed out that grading on a curve just overvalues a players mediocrity in a particular category.

Sometimes these forums make me sad.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:27 am

JMB05 wrote:Well then consider yourself insulted. To actually post (twice) is telling me that 1. it was either true, or 2. you realized that your scoring format is skewed.

I don't care which. Funny thing is, I came in here to try and help. I pointed out that grading on a curve just overvalues a players mediocrity in a particular category.

You are so far off it's not even funny anymore.

As I've pointed out many times, the grading format is that which is found in any Roto league. I did not make it up. And, like jlm53089 said, I certainly did not make it up to promote a single player when we all already know how dominant he is. To even suggest that is foolish.

If you read my original post, you'll realize that this is just something that I tried because I wasn't sure what the results would yield. I was curious to see how players would rank using a very common scoring format. At first I didn't even plan on posting the results here.

And your comments have been nothing but critical. Others have made helpful suggestions for if I try to improve these rankings in the future. You have not.

You've been highly critical of the grading format. Honestly man, I did not make it up. I said, "Hey I wonder how players would rank using a standard Roto scoring style", because I knew that comparing their relative value in this manner could be helpful. Then I went and made the spreadsheet and that was it. Why on earth would I try to skew the results?
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby JMB05 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:11 pm

JMB05 wrote:Well then consider yourself insulted. To actually post (twice) is telling me that 1. it was either true, or 2. you realized that your scoring format is skewed.

You are so far off it's not even funny anymore.

As I've pointed out many times, the grading format is that which is found in any Roto league. I did not make it up. And, like jlm53089 said, I certainly did not make it up to promote a single player when we all already know how dominant he is. To even suggest that is foolish.

If you read my original post, you'll realize that this is just something that I tried because I wasn't sure what the results would yield. I was curious to see how players would rank using a very common scoring format. At first I didn't even plan on posting the results here.

And your comments have been nothing but critical. Others have made helpful suggestions for if I try to improve these rankings in the future. You have not.

You've been highly critical of the grading format.
Honestly man, I did not make it up. I said, "Hey I wonder how players would rank using a standard Roto scoring style", because I knew that comparing their relative value in this manner could be helpful. Then I went and made the spreadsheet and that was it. Why on earth would I try to skew the results?

Lets try this one more time.

So your reply is that it's not "your scoring sytem, it's one found in any roto format"

Then my being "critical" of it shouldn't hurt your feelings. You have still, not once, acknowledged the glaring defect in that scoring system. Then, I make an guess as to why this turned out this way and asked if their might be some bias, which is certainly one of the reasons it could be, and since this is an internet forum, and I don't know you from Adam, anything is plausible. I also finished with, "am I close?," which should have been your indicator that I was asking a question, not making an accusation.

Then, instead of responding to the flaw I pointed out, which is there regardless of anything, you choose to focus on a comment about some Pujols bias that i thought might exist.

If you want me to break it down even further I will, just let me know.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:37 pm

JMB05 wrote:If you want me to break it down even further I will, just let me know.

Go ahead, I'd like to hear something constructive.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JMB05 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:43 pm

JMB05 wrote:If you want me to break it down even further I will, just let me know.

If that is seriously the only thing your going to post as a response, then I think we are done here. You obviously cannot defend your results thus invalidating them.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:48 pm

JMB05 wrote:

If that is seriously the only thing your going to post as a response, then I think we are done here. You obviously cannot defend your results thus invalidating them.

Wow man, you said you had more to add and I said I'd like to hear it.

All in all, I cannot stress enough that I didn't tamper with the grading system for a reason. I wanted to see what type of results this would yield. Doing anything else wouldn't have given me the rankings I was curious about.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JMB05 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:55 pm

JMB05 wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:Go ahead, I'd like to hear something constructive.

All in all, I cannot stress enough that I didn't tamper with the grading system for a reason. I wanted to see what type of results this would yield. Doing anything else wouldn't have given me the rankings I was curious about.

You still are refusing to acknowledge the obvious flaw. You just post a responses completely ignoring the 5 times I have asked you about it. Is there something I am missing here? Are you reading my posts? Are you understanding them?
And if you are just trying to avoid it then why respond at all?
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:59 pm

JMB05 wrote:
JMB05 wrote:

You still are refusing to acknowledge the obvious flaw. You just post a responses completely ignoring the 5 times I have asked you about it. Is there something I am missing here? Are you reading my posts? Are you understanding them?
And if you are just trying to avoid it then why respond at all?

I acknowledge that a grading format I did not attempt to improve is likely to have flaws. You have pointed out that Carl Crawford's SBs likely didn't have a large enough impact on his standings.

I could also point out that when I made these rankings Pujols had a large lead in several categories. You could just as easily argue that Pujols should be even further above everyone else than he already is.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JMB05 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:03 pm

So by your own admission your findings are flawed. So why are we talking about them?
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers