Ranking the Top 50 Yahoo Players - ROTO Style - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ranking the Top 50 Yahoo Players - ROTO Style

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ranking the Top 50 Yahoo Players - ROTO Style

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:54 am

I tried a little experiment I thought I'd share with the Cafe.

I took the top 50 hitters according to the Yahoo Rankings. Using the five categories (BA, HR, RBI, Runs, SB) of my Roto league, I ranked each player for each category and awarded points based on each that ranking (just as a roto league does to calculate the league standings). So that the top player for each category earned 50 points while the worst player of the group earned 1 point for the category.

For batting average I got a little fancy. I didn't think simply using their BA rankings would be entirely fair. Take Joe Mauer for instance. He's hitting .395, but he's done that in limited time. Because of that, he wouldn't bring up your team average as much as a similar top BA hitter who has played for the entire year (like Ichiro). To compensate for that I ranked each player by BA and total hits and took the average of the two (e.x., Mauer earned 22 points for his 82 hits and 50 points for his .395 BA for an average of 36).

For example, Pujols has the most HRs, runs, and RBIs, netting him 150 points across the three categories. While he ranked among the middle for SBs (earning 28.5 points) and towards the top for BA/hits generating 39.5 points. For a total of 218 which, as you can imagine, absolutely blew everyone else out of the water.

Here are the results:

IDK, I thought it was pretty interesting. It seems to be common knowledge that the Yahoo Rankings are solid but not ideal. This is at the very least a nice basis for comparison.

Here's the Google Doc in case anyone wants to see the full spreadsheet: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... Qb2c&hl=en
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ranking the Top 50 Yahoo Players - ROTO Style

Postby daullaz » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:07 am

Great work! ;-D
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Ursa » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:29 pm

I do something similar on a spreadsheet for my current batters so I can better see trends but this is light years beyond my paltry efforts. Good stuff. ;-D
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby JMB05 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:26 am

How does Pujols rank in the middle for stolen bases? My friend Carl Crawford says you list is no good.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby mtxdevil » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:40 am

JMB05 wrote:How does Pujols rank in the middle for stolen bases? My friend Carl Crawford says you list is no good.

eh? :-?
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:59 am

JMB05 wrote:How does Pujols rank in the middle for stolen bases? My friend Carl Crawford says you list is no good.

His 10 SBs ranks him in the middle amongst these players. Carl Crawford's 40 SBs were the best of the group, netting him 50 points for the category. Pujols was tied for 22nd in this category so he earned 28.5 points.

In terms of SBs, Pujols is obviously behind players like Crawford, Ellsbury, and B.J. Upton, but he's also obviously ahead of players like Fielder, Morneau, Teix, VMart, etc.

Just look at the spreadsheet.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:46 pm

Great work ;-D
It is really cool to see it in this sort of way.

Whats next?
Top 25 Starters and Closers?
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Splendid61 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:59 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:For batting average I got a little fancy. I didn't think simply using their BA rankings would be entirely fair. Take Joe Mauer for instance. He's hitting .395, but he's done that in limited time. Because of that, he wouldn't bring up your team average as much as a similar top BA hitter who has played for the entire year (like Ichiro). To compensate for that I ranked each player by BA and total hits and took the average of the two (e.x., Mauer earned 22 points for his 82 hits and 50 points for his .395 BA for an average of 36).

You do realize that Mauer's counting stats (which make up 4 of the 5 categories) are also affected by missing all of April.
Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:21 pm

Splendid61 wrote:You do realize that Mauer's counting stats (which make up 4 of the 5 categories) are also affected by missing all of April.

That's true, but he's the only one affected that way. Unless I prorated his stats for the year or used a smaller time frame (e.x., the last month) I wouldn't be able to account for that.

Besides this is based on what they've done for your team this year. Mauer has been terrific, but in a limited amount of time. The players who have been terrific all year have had a bigger impact in leagues and thus should be ranked higher IMO.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:22 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:
Splendid61 wrote:You do realize that Mauer's counting stats (which make up 4 of the 5 categories) are also affected by missing all of April.

That's true, but he's the only one affected that way. Unless I prorated his stats for the year or used a smaller time frame (e.x., the last month) I wouldn't be able to account for that.

Besides this is based on what they've done for your team this year. Mauer has been terrific, but in a limited amount of time. The players who have been terrific all year have had a bigger impact in leagues and thus should be ranked higher IMO.

Agreed.
Like in real fantasy some of Mauers value should be hurt due to injury.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers