Scoring Periods mon-thurs and fri-sun? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Scoring Periods mon-thurs and fri-sun?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scoring Periods mon-thurs and fri-sun?

Postby soxdiggernduke33 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:48 pm

Does anyone know a site that lets you adjust the scoring system to have the period length to twice a week?

I want to start a 30 team dynasty league with h2h settings. Instead of weekly I want it to be series scoring... if the Mets go to Philly for a 3 game set, I want the "mets" and "phils" from the league to have a h2h period that lasts those 3 games.

Any ideas?
soxdiggernduke33
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Scoring Periods mon-thurs and fri-sun?

Postby SumG » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:52 am

I have a couple of concerns with your idea. The first is how you will deal with the fact the teams in real life have unbalanced schedules (i.e. some have travel days Monday, some Thursday, get days off at random intervals, and that's not even counting rainouts. It's completely possible that someone may have their star player travel on Monday, then get rained out the next day, and only get to play in one game in a match.

Additionally, with a decrease in the length of the scoring period, an unbalanced amount of player games between two teams is greatly magnified and who wins may come down more to who has more players going than who's team is better. This is particularly concerning with starting pitchers, where it would seem that a starter would miss about every third match in your fantasy league due to five man rotations. With a week-long match, you're guaranteed that everyone gets into a match and any differences in games played is minimized.

As for what sites let you tweak scoring periods offhand, I don't know any. I'm sure there's something out there, though. If not, there's always pencil and paper.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby soxdiggernduke33 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:56 am

One of the concerns wouldnt matter. I'm looking to a 30 team league, if they get rained out or have a day off neither would have the advantage because those two teams would be playing each other (also the rain date could be retroactively added to the stats to complete the series anyway). Teams with mondays off for their players and real life 2 game sets on say a mon-tues would eventually have an extra game squeezed in to their advantage somewhere later on.

The SP dilemma would be real, but that is how it is in real life too. If you play the M's and miss Felix, those 3 wins you get is you sweep them don't count any less.

When teams start wheeling and dealing they will know the risks of having certain days off from players on other teams and such eventually they all even out and play 162 anyway. It isn't like someone could make it rain to their advantage.

And I'm not sure I'd have the time to do 30 teams scoring by hand twice a week, that is why I am looking for a system. If it comes down to it then I might have to though.
soxdiggernduke33
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:05 am

soxdiggernduke33 wrote:One of the concerns wouldnt matter. I'm looking to a 30 team league, if they get rained out or have a day off neither would have the advantage because those two teams would be playing each other (also the rain date could be retroactively added to the stats to complete the series anyway). Teams with mondays off for their players and real life 2 game sets on say a mon-tues would eventually have an extra game squeezed in to their advantage somewhere later on.

The SP dilemma would be real, but that is how it is in real life too. If you play the M's and miss Felix, those 3 wins you get is you sweep them don't count any less.

When teams start wheeling and dealing they will know the risks of having certain days off from players on other teams and such eventually they all even out and play 162 anyway. It isn't like someone could make it rain to their advantage.

And I'm not sure I'd have the time to do 30 teams scoring by hand twice a week, that is why I am looking for a system. If it comes down to it then I might have to though.

I don't think you understand your own rules very well. Unless each team is consisting of players just on the team that you are going to match schedules with then rainouts would affect 1 team more then the other based on the number of players in that game and in a three game series its a huge obstacle.

Second, 30 team leagues are never any fun. Too many bad options.
Bobbleheadrusty
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RDD15 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:28 am

Another thing that you appear to be misunderstanding, is how rainout stats can sometimes be retroactively applied. If a game is started on say July 6, and in the fourth inning, rain starts up, causing the game to be suspended, then the stats for the entire game would retroactively be applied to July 6. You are correct there.

However, if rain starts up before the game, and the first pitch is never thrown, then the stats will be counted for the makeup date, not for July 6.

I am inferring from your couple of posts that owners would begin by simply selecting an MLB team, rather than having a full draft, and then the "wheeling and dealing" would begin. I am also guessing that your schedule would attempt to mirror MLB and have the same teams in your league playing against each other when the real MLB teams play against each other. You will find this difficult because of the fact that the MLB schedule is not exactly perfect for your purposes, with some 2-game series and other oddities thrown in there.

Honestly, this format is not one that I would like to play in. It sounds like there are a lot of loose ends and "close enough"'s. I also would not want to be the guy that drew the last pick in the draft, because my team would be incredibly uncompetitive for several years.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby GFBase32 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:05 am

Fanstar is the site.
My AL only head-head points league has been playing Mon-Thu; Fri-Sun matchups since 1997.
Mon-Thu; Fri-Sun is an awesome way to play as it mimics the rhythms of the way series are played in MLB.

When tq stats discontinued their custom services several years ago, FanStar stepped up and instituted our custom rules for an annual fee of less than 100 bucks. The site had some issues a few years ago, but it has gotten alot better and it is up to the demanding expectations of our experienced league.

We play head-head 3-game series Mon-Thu; Fri-Sun.
Total Batting Points 1 Game;
Total Pitching Points = 1 Game;
Total Combined Points = 1 Game.

This 3-game, split-week format mirrors the way MLB plays series. It works great and you are on the right path. Things like rainouts or doubleheaders dont matter. Its such a long season everything evens out.
GFBase32
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Commissioner's Corner