Post Hype Sleeper: Andy Marte... really? (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Post Hype Sleeper: Andy Marte... really? (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Post Hype Sleeper: Andy Marte... really? (Merged)

Postby B-Chad » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:21 pm

I can't believe I'm starting this thread, but I think it must be done. With Jhonny Peralta having played SS for the bulk of his career (well all of his career up until his recent move to 3B), any chance the Indians move him back to SS and Asdrubal Cabrera to 2B to give Andy Marte an extended audition the remainder of the year? As big of a bust as Marte has been to this point in his career, it is easy to overlook the fact that he's still 26 years old, which isn't really that old (for comparisons sake, Nolan Reimold is actually about 20 days older then Marte). If I remember correctly, he was touted as having a fantastic glove, and his hitting numbers appear to have caught up in AAA this year. He's hitting a blistering .326 on the season in 230 AB's and an eye popping .526 in his last 10 games (38 AB's). That batting average isn't full of slap singles either, it comes with 11 HR's as well as 16 doubles and 1 triple for good measure.

The walk rate certainly leaves a lot to be desired with only 14 in 244 PA. However, his K-rate is quite respectable at 37 in 244 PA. Sure, it's easy to cast Andy Marte as a classic AAAA player, but is it completely impossible to foresee him being a useful fantasy player in the making given his former high regard? I'm curious to watch the situation unfold. If I were an Indians fan I'd love to see he and LaPorta get the call and get some regular AB's the rest of the way.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Post Hype Sleeper: Andy Marte... really?

Postby CadensDad » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:42 pm

I still remember how happy the Red Sox where to get him in exchange for E-Rent, then they sent him to the Indians for Crisp........ I think it's quite obvious who won that trade.

With that being said, I don't think it will be worthwhile to have him on any teams in mixed leagues.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby B-Chad » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:53 pm

Quick correction, he and Reimold are 25, and turn 26 in October... oops.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

Postby B-Chad » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:57 pm

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... /#comments

Just saw an article on the front page of fangraphs about Marte, interesting read if you took the time to read this thread, this article is definitely worth a look.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

Postby B-Chad » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:05 pm

Time to kick the tires on this thread. It didn't get a whole lot of interest the first time, but Marte is still raking (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... pid=429708) and the Indians still stink. When does he get an audition? He still has a fantastic glove, so from a reality baseball standpoint it would make sense that the Indians would want to gauge if his bat is capable of sticking every day in the field or not. If he struggles hitting in the bigs, his defense will likely keep him around on the bench at least, but why not roll the dice and see if this former top prospect may have finally put it together?
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MotorCityKitties » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:30 pm

Well Rotoworld is reporting that Garko has just been traded to the Giants. Earlier they speculated that Marte would be called up if this trade happened.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:33 pm

with Marte coming up and Garko gone, whats the lineup going to be like?
tonight Martinez is 1B with Peralta at DH with Carroll playing 3B.
does Peralta lose playing time? i know his numbers on the season have been disappointing but hes been coming on of late.
can Marte or even Peralta play 1B?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby B-Chad » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:40 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:with Marte coming up and Garko gone, whats the lineup going to be like?
tonight Martinez is 1B with Peralta at DH with Carroll playing 3B.
does Peralta lose playing time? i know his numbers on the season have been disappointing but hes been coming on of late.
can Marte or even Peralta play 1B?

Maybe they'll give Pronk some time there. Hard to believe, but who knows I suppose. I'll be curious to see how his AAA numbers translate. I might speculate in my toughest league, not sure.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:56 am

news from yahoo says Marte will get most of his action at 1B
INF Andy Marte will be recalled from Class AAA Columbus Tuesday, according to GM Mark Shapiro. Marte, who was hitting .327 with 18 home runs and 66 RBI at Columbus, will get most of his playing time at first base.

Marte was called up by the Indians after Ryan Garko was traded to San Francisco, ESPN reports. He'll most play first base, GM Mark Shapiro told the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Recommendation: The Indians don't have much to lose by giving Marte another trial in the big leagues. It wouldn't be a surprise if he got steady playing time.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Andy Marte

Postby jjs » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Anybody buying into him. Finally hitting like he should in AAA. Really hot of late. I think they're actually going to give him a real shot.
jjs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers