Need the help for a little survey [CLOSED] - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Need the help for a little survey [CLOSED]

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need the help for a little survey [CLOSED]

Postby dark2025 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks for the interest, unfortunately the survey has closed.
Last edited by dark2025 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dark2025
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need the help for a little survey

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:13 pm

It'd be easier if you could see them all on one page, but I voted. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CadensDad » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:00 pm

I voted as well

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby TheRock » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:21 pm

:-?

Psych 101 study on the primacy and recency effects?
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:26 am

I voted.

But I agree that it would be much easier to compare the fonts if you were able to view them simultaneously. Also, the fonts were all so similar I didn't have a strong preference for one over another.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby ayebatter » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:48 pm

Hah, I didn't like any of them, and indicated that in the provided square, then it said I had made an error in selection....really, I don't think so, now I hate all four of the selections even more than before. :-t
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:14 pm

1 and 3 are the classiest for a finance-related firm, IMO.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby dark2025 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:42 pm

Thank you very much, everybody :) . Unfortunately I have to come clean with something. This whole thing was just a little experiment of mine, which was a follow-up to something similar I did half a year ago (more on that later). It didn't work as I had hypothesized (although not necessarily a bad thing), so I'll stop it early to not waste any more of your time.

When you went on the site it assigned everyone to one of four random groups. I chose four similar fonts, hoping that most of you would view each of them as equals. In fact each was selected about 25% of the time (albeit with a small sample size, n=42). However this was not what I had hypothesized. See, depending on which group you were, a different font sample would be capitalized. For example, if you were assigned to group 1, the first text sample you saw would have been completely capitalized, but the ones that followed would have been normal. The sizes were all adjusted as well, so that the capitalized ones were shrunk down to the same size as their non-capitalized counterparts to keep it consistent. I hypothesized more people might choose the capitalized fonts because they would be different, and therefore slightly memorable. This is also why I asked you to see them one at a time, hoping that even if you forget them, that you might instinctively go for the one that stood out. I had to do four groups so that if there was a difference, I could better tell whether it's because it's skewed toward a particular font, or if the capitalization actually did something. However, the assigned group only matched up with the choice of capitalized fonts about 20% of the time - in other words, pure chance.

The experiment I did half a year ago was based on longer texts - short newspaper articles to be precise. I did it in the exact same way, except I replaced the different fonts with different - but very similar - articles. I also tried making the capitalized/non-capitalized versions as similar as possible (shrunk the text and made sure the layout was exactly the same for both). I haven't measured the results yet (only eyeballed it), but it seems a statically significant amount of people said they disliked the capitalized articles (n=139). No surprises there. I've been wondering what the effects of capitalization on shorter text may have, hence this little experiment.

Obviously this isn't a real or formal study. I would have been a lot more careful with it, and probably would have come up with a better method if it was. I just wanted to play around with making these little experiments. Hopefully I didn't waste too much of your time B-) .

TheRock wrote::-?

Psych 101 study on the primacy and recency effects?

Haha... you are good, sir. Very close. If I had a cookie or a star I would give it to you no questions asked. I am on my way to a Bachelor's degree in psychology as of right now as well :).
dark2025
College Coach
College Coach

Return to General Talk