My Quest into Homebrewing... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

My Quest into Homebrewing...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My Quest into Homebrewing...

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:38 am

After years of talking about it and thinking about it, I've finally taken and plunge and decided to start brewing my own beer. I've got the equipment, got the ingredients for my first batch (organic Hefe), and will be getting it started today or tomorrow. Anyone else into brewing their own beer? If so, I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions, or if you have any particularly good recipes.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My Quest into Homebrewing...

Postby Metroid » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:52 am

I have not myself but I have many friends that do. I'd like to try my hand at it myself sometime too. Good luck man. If you have any questions I could relay them to friends who have been doing it for years. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:09 am

Good luck man. I'm hoping to start soon also!
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:13 am

Yoda wrote:Good luck man. I'm hoping to start soon also!

Same here I'm about to purchase a nice kit and stuff. Good luck Art and keep us updated. ;-D
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:15 am

Best of luck Lemmiwinks, your quest will be fraught with danger :-o
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:16 am

Here's some advice.

My first batch years ago went fine. Since then my wife and I have sucked at it. She took chemistry of beer in college.

Anyways advice.

Go to a beer shop and get proper supplies don't get a stupid kit from the interwebz
Choose a darker beer
be VERY VERY VERY VERY CLEAN
Follow instructions to the T.

Have a Giant tub of Ice to cool your wart down quickly. Make sure your thermometer is accurate.

Don't pitch the yeast to early.

Cross fingers
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby knapplc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:53 am

I applaud the initiative you all show in brewing your own beer. It's a lot of work, and I wonder if it's worth the effort, other than to say you've done it. I have a garden and I make some really good sauces, but the trouble you go through to grow your vegetables & herbs, prep everything, cook everything and can everything just doesn't seem to be worth it when I can buy stuff that's as good or better for $2 a quart at the store.

Is the beer you're making really that much better than, say, a local microbrew that it's worth the extra trouble? Or is the process the thing, and not just the end product?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:16 pm

knapplc wrote:I applaud the initiative you all show in brewing your own beer. It's a lot of work, and I wonder if it's worth the effort, other than to say you've done it. I have a garden and I make some really good sauces, but the trouble you go through to grow your vegetables & herbs, prep everything, cook everything and can everything just doesn't seem to be worth it when I can buy stuff that's as good or better for $2 a quart at the store.

Is the beer you're making really that much better than, say, a local microbrew that it's worth the extra trouble? Or is the process the thing, and not just the end product?

I know what you are saying but we sacrifice way too much in the name of convenience. I think homegrown stuff tastes much better regardless of what it is. You use only the freshest ingredients, you are the one processing them (not some machine or dirty workers) and you know exactly what is going in it. In the end, it is well worth the time and effort IMO.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:17 pm

knapplc wrote:Is the beer you're making really that much better than, say, a local microbrew that it's worth the extra trouble? Or is the process the thing, and not just the end product?

I hope to eventually be able to make beer as good as the stuff that I generally buy from the store; it's also significantly cheaper than buying premium beer from the store. My neighbor and I are splitting the cost/space, and he already had much of the equipment (he brewed for years in Hawaii, couldn't take all of his equipment when he moved to the mainland) so the initial cost was about $50 each to get the rest of the equipment we needed. The ingredients will run us about $30 for a five gallon batch. That will give me about 26 quality beers for $15. Usually the beer I buy is between $10-$15 per 12-pack, depending on what I want at the time and sales, so I'm looking at about half the price.

That said, the process is definitely part of it. It's something I'm positive I'll enjoy, the sense of accomplishment after a batch comes out good, being able to share it with friends, etc. are all things I'm looking forward to. It's kind of like gardening, I guess. I garden as well, and with a few exceptions, I could buy produce that tastes just as good from the store for pretty cheap compared to spending hours preparing the garden, planting, weeding, watering, harvesting, etc. But I like to garden, and I know exactly where the food is coming from and what goes into the soil and onto the plants.

edit: forgot the most important reason: when civilization as we know it fails and we're all living in a Mad Max-like world, I want to still be able to enjoy a nice cold one after a long day of raiding and pillaging.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:50 pm

I've had friends who have experimented with home brewing and I think they get their recipes from either RateBeer or Beer Advocate. I'd love to make my own imperial stout, but they say it's a more advanced beer to be making when you're just starting out.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Next

Return to General Talk