The Best 8th Place Team EVER? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

The Best 8th Place Team EVER? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Best 8th Place Team EVER? WHIR

Postby hambone1818 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:33 pm

So I've had a ton of issues, injuries, slow starts, whatever. After a bunch of big-time trades (dealing Kinsler, Hamilton, Miggy, Danks and Wainwright in the process) I'm pretty confident this team is about to zoom up the standings. So here's my question: where can I improve this team? Do you see a weakness, whether it's a position or a category I'll be crappy at.

10 team, H-2-H, 5x5 weekly change, 7 keepers - this will be the lineup for next week, when these guys are off the DL

C M. Wieters
1B R. Howard
2B D. Pedroia
3B M Reynolds
SS J. Rollins
CI A. Ramirez
MI M. DeRosa
OF G. Sizemore
OF J. Upton
OF S. Choo
OF M. Ramirez
UTIL D. Ortiz
BEN T. Helton
BEN C. Young

SP T. Lincecum
SP J. Lester
RP J. Soria
RP J. Broxton
P J. Johnson
P F. Hernandez
P C. Hamels
BEN E. Santana
hambone1818
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Best 8th Place Team EVER? WHIR

Postby yearbend » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:19 pm

this is only 7 keepers so if i were you i would concede this season and trade up for some big time talent. you have a lot of players that are keeper worthy, such as

wieters
howard
pedroia
rollins
aram
sizemore
upton
manny
lincecum
josh johnson!
fellix
lester

clearly that is more than 7! im sure you could go and flip howard + lester for pujols and this will be an upgrade for you NEXT YEAR.
you could also definitely trade for Haren or Verlander or someone that should have high value next year. you are in a good position to trade and stack up big time for next season, and i would take advantage of this!

thank you very much for the sig, soty!
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=45974

^^ soty's profile page ^^
yearbend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hambone1818 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:21 am

Thanks for the input. I'd never give up on this year, though, it's a H-2-H league with 6 playoff spots and 12 weeks left in the season. With my squad finally rounding in to form I'm pretty confident I'll be able to move up into a playoff spot.

As far as trading for next season goes, I've done pretty well making offseason trades of my excess keeper players. You have to give up a bit more in the offseason but with so much excess (I mean, you just threw out 12 names, all of whom are clearly good enough to be a top-70 keeper, and that didn't even include Hamels or Reynolds) I'll be able to upgrade no problem this offseason without sacrificing anything this year.

Any other thoughts on the team? Weaknesses, players you dont like, etc?
hambone1818
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronxBlunders » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:43 am

Quick question: What were you thinking when you dealt Kinsler, Miggy, and Hamilton? Those are 3 GREAT keeper players due to their age.
BronxBlunders
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby hambone1818 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:09 am

BronxBlunders wrote:Quick question: What were you thinking when you dealt Kinsler, Miggy, and Hamilton? Those are 3 GREAT keeper players due to their age.

Two things: First, it's not like I just gave them away. For Kinsler I got Pedroia and Lester. For Miggy I got Lincecum and Aramis Ramirez. For Hamilton (plus Danks and Wainwright) I got Felix and Broxton. As you can tell I've been moving to get pitchers. My lineup, despite losing those three, is still very, very good--I have Sizemore, Howard, Reynolds, Upton, DeRosa, Pedroia, Manny, etc. So I'll still win the offensive categories most weeks. But now, with the newly acquired pitching talent, I have a ridiculous rotation (Lincecum, Hamels, Lester, J. Johnson, Felix, with Soria and Broxton as closers) that just won't be touched, period. Those are five top-15 starters, with the best closer and another top-6-7 guy.

Second, I absolutely knew going into this year that, barring a disaster, I'd be keeping Wieters and Upton. Upton has shown already why I have that confidence in him, and Wieters will soon be there. Add in Sizemore, who I love, and guys like Lincecum, Howard, Manny, Pedroia, etc, etc...I still have some great keeper options and will be able to trade some of the surplus in the offseason for upgrades and/or draft picks.
hambone1818
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team