100 Wins This Year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

100 Wins This Year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

100 Wins This Year

Postby Jmets » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:11 am

I haven't been this excited going into the season for a long time. I mean, last year I was happy with the new signings but something in the back of my mind said it wasn't going to happen. This year I feel different, I am actually gaining confidence that we can produce the run support to protect our pitching, and our pitching will be 100% better. So there's a win win situation, more runs, better pitching = 100 wins.
Jmets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kashikis » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:18 pm

thats not outta reach but we do play in a very underrated division.

ATL is ATL - %$#@%$#^@%$%%#@$%$#^ thats all i have to say

PHI - most improved team in league next to us of course

FLA - with lee and pudge there to knock in all their speedsters they could give teams problems

EXPOS - they got vladdy? also they are a young team not great but dangerous none the less

that all said i think 100 is possible but id say more like 90 but ya never know if all the chips fall right we could win it all!
kashikis

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby metsfan1969 » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:54 pm

You know, I'm looking at Atlanta (ugh %-6 ), and I'm looking at Philly (insert smiley scratching it's head here) and I am not sure what to think.

I do think that Atlanta's staff might be a year or two coming together, but that hitting......Gary Sheffield, Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones, Robert Fick, Vinny Castilla, Mark DeRosa, Javy Lopez. If these guys are on, they can hit. With Byrd, Maddux, Ortiz, Hampton and Smoltz,some will say this is the best staff in the NL East. Those people need to get off the sauce though. It is definitely a respectable staff but like I said, it might take time for them to come together.

Philly is another story. Pound for pound, these guys may be the best hitters in the NL East. Pat Burrell, Bobby Abreu, Jim Thome, Jimmy Rollins, Tyler Houston, David Bell, Mike Lieberthal. But take a look at that pitching..other than Millwood, Padilla, and Wolf they really don't have too much to jump up and down about.

But then we look at The Mets (insert drum roll here, please).
Mike Piazza, Roberto Alomar, Mo Vaughn, Jeromy Burnitz, Roger Cedeno, Cliff Floyd, Joe McEwing, Rey Sanchez, Ty Wigginton, Timo Perez.

Definitely a lineup to reckon with. Now with that geriatric pitching crew: Glavine, Leiter, Cone ( 8-o ), Astacio (who now maybe injured), Trachsel (whom I've never thought was worth the time or effort), Bascik (a still unproven commodity for NY), Middlebrook, Benitez, Stanton, and Weathers.

I like this staff however I'll keep a fresh supply of Ben Gay and Ace bandages for this crew. Keep the whirlpool running and the ice packs ready and we might see some great things from this staff. My prediction is for Glavine and Leiter to win close to 20 each. Cone's comeback will fizzle out, Middlebrook may be a surprise, Benitez will be solid, but will still give up that crushing late inning HR he so likes to give up.

This is going to be a close race. It's going to be very fun to watch!
Well Look who has come to the cafe, It's Mr. Met!
metsfan1969

Cafe Writer

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:27 am

Don't be so hard on Traschel. He was our de facto ace last year. Yeah, he takes ages on the mound, but he posts an era in the mid 3's. And I think that Heilman has a good shot this year, while we're at it.
Hank
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby metsfan1969 » Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:42 am

Sorry about Trachsel. He's still a Met and I can respect that. I've just never cared for his inconsistency. He runs very hot and cold. It's like if he starts a downhill slide you better just put him up on the shelf for awhile, but when he's hot he needs to go every other day. I just don't get him. :-B
metsfan1969

Cafe Writer

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:54 am

Astacio to most likely be on the DL to start the season with inflammation in his right biceps tendon, this probably opens the door for Hielman,Bascik and possibly Middlebrook to get some time early in the season. Hopefully Cone continues his comeback and we get one of the 3 young kids to fill the 5th spot. Or do we go after a pitcher in a trade. Burnitz's # could be up.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Jmets » Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:55 am

That was me ^^
Jmets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby metsfan1969 » Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:53 pm

I think the minute we get rid of Burnitz, he hits 40. It's just destiny.....
metsfan1969

Cafe Writer

Postby superotto80 » Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:56 pm

I dont know about 100 wins, i think the pitching staff is a little suspect as well as some pistion players. Im hoping for 80-90 wins if we have a good yr. this is my prediction for the NL EAST

Mets(someone finally beats the braves)
Braves
Marlins(my surprise team in 03', good young pitching staff)
Phils(the mets of last yr.....BUST)
expos
superotto80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AntLive » Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:14 pm

metsfan1969 wrote:I think the minute we get rid of Burnitz, he hits 40. It's just destiny.....

:-) It always seems to happen to them that way! :~(
AntLive
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to New York Mets