What about the Yankees taking Pierre? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What about the Yankees taking Pierre?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What about the Yankees taking Pierre?

Postby Maris09 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:15 pm

I know he's still a very useful player for the Dodgers to have for their World Series attempt, but the Yankees are one of the only teams that could take his salary, and it's not like they couldn't use his services.

Nady is out
Matsui is brittle
Damon is solid but brittle and it would be better not using him at leadoff.
Gardner is really not someone you want leading off.
And Jeter is someone that could be better used lower in the order.

Any chance the Yankees make a play at Pierre at the deadline?
If not the Yankees, where are people's thoughts on where it could theoretically make sense (besides the Dodgers :-D )
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What about the Yankees taking Pierre?

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:21 pm

Platooning Gardner and Melky and playing the hot hand is putting up pretty decent numbers so far and is costing next to nothing, I don't see that happening.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:25 pm

The Yankees already have a Pierre, but one that costs the minimum and not $9 mil. His name is Brett Gardner.

Who needs an OFer, and has a little cash to spare? (The Dodgers would probably have to pay at least half)

Detroit - LF
Seattle - LF
Atlanta - LF/RF
NYM - LF

I think Atlanta might be the favourites off that list. :-?
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Montana168 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:53 pm

uh yeah there is no way the Yanks are in the market for pierre. in fact, they are jammed in the OF and only way i see them trading for an outfielder is if it's matt holliday. the yanks have damon, melky, gardner, and swisher in the OF. they have matsui and posada that clog the DH, and they have a top prospect in Austin Jackson at AAA who is MLB ready and would be in the majors on any other team. If they make any moves, it would be to acquire bullpen help, not OF help.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaSh 1s » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:56 pm

As a Yankee fan, I scout the daily blogs and follow the team religiously, there isn't a shot in hell they will add his contract. Gardner is currently sporting a OPS north of 800, Pierre would be one of the worst moves they could ever make.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Maris09 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:06 am

AussieDodger wrote:The Yankees already have a Pierre, but one that costs the minimum and not $9 mil. His name is Brett Gardner.

Who needs an OFer, and has a little cash to spare? (The Dodgers would probably have to pay at least half)

Detroit - LF
Seattle - LF
Atlanta - LF/RF
NYM - LF

I think Atlanta might be the favourites off that list. :-?

Interesting, never really thought of Atlanta. Seems like it might fit.
I know Seattle fits with the LF need and Washburn possibly going LA's way, but it's hard to believe they'd want Ichiro AND Pierre.
Another good call on the Mets, especially if Reyes' wheels don't give them what they're looking from the leadoff spot.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby B-Chad » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:58 am

Montana168 wrote:uh yeah there is no way the Yanks are in the market for pierre. in fact, they are jammed in the OF and only way i see them trading for an outfielder is if it's matt holliday. the yanks have damon, melky, gardner, and swisher in the OF. they have matsui and posada that clog the DH, and they have a top prospect in Austin Jackson at AAA who is MLB ready and would be in the majors on any other team. If they make any moves, it would be to acquire bullpen help, not OF help.

Well glad that we got the Yankee homer line of thinking... give me a break. He is a legit Major League prospect, sure, but he's a strikeout machine, and his 25 walks in 300 Plate appearances isn't exactly setting the world on fire... and considering that low walk total and high strikeout total is coming with a meager 3 HR's in 300 plate appearances, I'd say that your assessment of Austin Jackson is hog wash. In fact, looking at his AAA stat line, I'd argue that at BEST he'd be playing a similar game to Pierre at the moment.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Noggy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:01 am

B-Chad wrote:Well glad that we got the Yankee homer line of thinking... give me a break. He is a legit Major League prospect, sure, but he's a strikeout machine, and his 25 walks in 300 Plate appearances isn't exactly setting the world on fire... and considering that low walk total and high strikeout total is coming with a meager 3 HR's in 300 plate appearances, I'd say that your assessment of Austin Jackson is hog wash. In fact, looking at his AAA stat line, I'd argue that at BEST he'd be playing a similar game to Pierre at the moment.

Deep Breath, ok..... He said Jackson would be in the majors, which is true if he played on many teams. He said nothing about how well he'd be doing. Relax.

As for Pierre, the only position he can really play these days is LF and Damon is a much, much better player than him. Let's not forget this is Pierre's first good season since 2004. It would be subtraction by addition even before factoring in his contract. No thanks.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Montana168 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:54 am

thank you noggy. certainly his k/bb rate is an enormous concern and that is why the yankees do not want to rush him, especially when they have 4 solid OF guys at the big level. b-chad, your right, i shouldn't have said ANY other team, but on MOST other teams he would be in the majors. now, how successful he would be is completely in the air.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:09 am

I think it would make more sense for the crosstown rivals to land Pierre if Beltran's injury in season-ending.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers