Phil Hughes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Phil Hughes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Phil Hughes

Postby AdvRider » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:33 am

AKhomebrewer wrote:...Joba's ongoing meltdown...

This. Joba is slowly but steadily pitching his way out of the rotation and back to the pen. The Yanks can't afford to keep trotting this guy out if he does not improve on for instance his last three starts ... gave up 9 hits in 5.1, 3.2 and 4.1 IP. That's 27 hits in 12.4 IP. :-P

Remember Joba was freaking solid out of the pen last year. The Yanks must be thinking about returning him to where he he's a proven contributor.

If it's back to the pen for Joba, Hughes has got to be a candidate to return to the rotation. Aceves did nothing to impress in his spot start last week. Mitre, maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Hughes. ;-)
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CharlatanSin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:53 am

AdvRider wrote:
AKhomebrewer wrote:...Joba's ongoing meltdown...

This. Joba is slowly but steadily pitching his way out of the rotation and back to the pen. The Yanks can't afford to keep trotting this guy out if he does not improve on for instance his last three starts ... gave up 9 hits in 5.1, 3.2 and 4.1 IP. That's 27 hits in 12.4 IP. :-P

Remember Joba was freaking solid out of the pen last year. The Yanks must be thinking about returning him to where he he's a proven contributor.

If it's back to the pen for Joba, Hughes has got to be a candidate to return to the rotation. Aceves did nothing to impress in his spot start last week. Mitre, maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Hughes. ;-)

What the Yankees SHOULD do is send Joba to AAA for a couple of weeks to work on his mechanics in a low-stress environment. Of course, being the Yankees, and being in the playoff race, they won't. But he's DEFINITELY not moving to the Pen.

As good as Hughes has been in the pen, Aceves has been equally lights out. I think Aceves goes back to the bullpen, and the Yankees stretch Hughes out and he gets into the rotation in a couple of weeks. But who knows. I've misread this situation before.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CAVscout » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:42 pm

Unless I'm mistaken I read somewhere that the yankees stated Hughes will stay in the bullpen for the remainder of the year, as they would have to send him down to stretch out his arm and he's become very valuable in the setup role
CAVscout
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:01 am

CAVscout wrote:Unless I'm mistaken I read somewhere that the yankees stated Hughes will stay in the bullpen for the remainder of the year, as they would have to send him down to stretch out his arm and he's become very valuable in the setup role

Yeah, I can see the Yankees not wanting to mess with Hughes' success in the pen. Couple that with the fact that they don't want to see a repeat of his 08 rotation performance, as well as the rest of their bullpen woes, and I would bet big that he stays right where he is for the rest of the season...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby socceryank » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:55 pm

How about this scenario:
It's no secret that Joba will be on an innings pitched limit, and he has shown to be stellar in relief. I can see Hughes and Joba switching roles, which helps in 2 ways: it limits Joba's innings, but it will stretch out Hughes in preparation for next year (otherwise, he'll be very limited next year if the Yanks follow the formula of minimizing the amount of innings pitched from one year to the next to reduce injury risk).

I think Hughes would be a smart pick up right now, and can at least help with WHIP, ERA and K's if nothing else.
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:54 pm

Or the two best pitching prospects for the Yankees become very good setup guys. Neither one has shown much as SP so the Yankees might have to move these guys to the pen where they have been amazing.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby High Inside Heater » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:59 pm

i read somewhere they wont move joba to the pen because it takes a few innings for his arm to reach his velo. which can be understood why it takes him a while to settle down at beg of games. he seems to get lite up early then settle down. Joba has potential to be a ace, he has had very bad games but also some dominate ones. They need to leave him be or send him back down so he stays in one role and gets comfortable pitching. Moving Joba out of the rotation would not help them.
High Inside Heater
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bozo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 pm

If the Yankees are that impressed with the work that Hughes is doing in the bullpen and as the setup guy is there any chance they start thinking that maybe they will make him the closer when Mo packs it in?
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:00 pm

Bozo wrote:If the Yankees are that impressed with the work that Hughes is doing in the bullpen and as the setup guy is there any chance they start thinking that maybe they will make him the closer when Mo packs it in?

Long term they're going to give Chamberlain and Hughes every opportunity to be in the rotation. That being said, if either of them shows that ultimately they can't cut it and be above average starters they have at least both shown they can be dominant in the 8th inning role. Both of them have shown flashes of brilliance in the rotation and they're both still only 23, so they have at least 2 more years imo to cement themselves into the rotation before being relegated to the bullpen.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:58 am

KCollins1304 wrote:Both of them have shown flashes of brilliance in the rotation and they're both still only 23, so they have at least 2 more years imo to cement themselves into the rotation before being relegated to the bullpen.

Yup. People don't realize how young these 2 guys still are. It's way too early to pigeon hole them as starters or relievers just yet. I'm very encouraged with the way they've both shown flashes of dominance already.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers