Phil Hughes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Phil Hughes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Phil Hughes

Postby ScrappyDoo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:51 am

I've been using him in my H2H league as a SP when my starter's are not pitching. He has been pretty lights out as a reliever. Are the Yankees planning on keeping him in that position for the rest of the season. He definitely has value since he is SP/RP, and his stuff is pretty electric. Are the Yanks content with him as a middle reliever?
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Phil Hughes

Postby CharlatanSin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:10 am

I'm not sure they plan to keep him in the pen. A couple of weeks ago, it seemed clear that he was sticking around if Wang faltered or if Pettitte's back gave out, and if neither happened, he'd head back to AAA to start regularly.

Now, both Wang and Pettitte seem more secure, yet Hughes is still in the pen and is doing great. So he might stick around, especially since Pettitte's still old, and Joba's still on an inning limit. So he'll probably make some spot starts. But it's hard to say for sure.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Noggy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:31 pm

I think the Yankees can afford to keep Hughes in his current role in the bullpen until the trade deadline. They will probably make a move for bullpen help by then and two months worth of starts should leave Hughes with reasonable enough innings total that potentially taking Pettitte's spot in the rotation next season wouldn't be a huge problem.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bozo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:26 pm

Looks like he's just biding his time until an opportunity comes up for him to get back in the rotation. That opportunity, however, may not happen til next year. But he has pitched well enough over the last month that I think the Yanks have confidence in him as far as moving into a starting role next year (Pettitte moves on or Wang self destructs).
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 30)

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:05 am

Per ESPN, the Phillies seem quite interested in Wang...

Maybe Hughes in the 09 rotation isn't so far fetched, eh?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:50 am

Inukchuk wrote:Per ESPN, the Phillies seem quite interested in Wang...

Maybe Hughes in the 09 rotation isn't so far fetched, eh?

You got a link for the Phils being interested in Wang? I didn't see anything on the first couple pages of MLB trade rumors. I really don't think the Yanks want to move Wang though. Wang has progressed well over his last three starts(8 runs in 15.1). HIs K:B still isn't good though 11:7 in his last three starts. They've been pulling him early partly due to pinch hitters in his last 2 starts. They need Hughes and Wang for the rotation in 2010 since there is a decent chance Pettitte will retire/be let go.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:06 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/rumors

It's a little ways down the page.

The Philadelphia Phillies have scouted struggling New York Yankees starter Chien-Ming Wang and could be interested in adding the one-time ace if the Yankees make him available.

The Phils have been "all over" the Boston Red Sox Brad Penny, according the the Inquirer's Jim Salisbury, however the BoSox could keep the right-hander after an injury to Daisuke Matsuzaka and early struggles by John Smoltz in his debut against the Washington Nationals.

Admittedly, ESPN rumors don't exactly have the best track record, and there is a big 'if' attached, but I just figured it was pertinent to the thread.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby ScrappyDoo » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:46 am

Since he took over as the 8th inning guy following his rough outing as a mop up guy against the Red Sox, he has been outstanding.

12.1 IP, 12 K, 0.00 ERA, 0.48 WHIP, .119 BAA, 8.76 K/9.

He is available in almost 93 % of ESPN leagues. He has SP/RP eligibility. I'd imagine he'd probably have the first shot at closing if Rivera goes down or needs a night off, so he could vulture some saves from here on out. In daily H2H leagues you can start him at SP whenever you don't have a starter going.

People are probably thrown off by his ugly numbers from earlier in the season when he was starting. If you need a stud middle reliever I would suggest picking him up.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:40 am

All the comments from Girardi, despite saying Hughes' future is in the rotation, suggest he prefers Hughes stays in the pen right now. Hence, Aceves getting the last spot-start.
Barring a catastrophe (bigger than Joba's ongoing meltdown and Pettitte's general lameness, that is), 2009 does not look great for Hughes getting into the rotation. For one thing, he'll need to be stretched out again -- that the Yankees haven't taken the All-Star break as an opportunity to facilitate that is telling.

Meanwhile, he's a nice RP filler with SP eligibility -- and cash money in holds leagues.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:02 am

Sergio Mitre is most likely coming up to assume the 5 spot in the rotation as he pitched well for Scranton in a semi-audition. With Bruney pitching badly they don't have another righty to depend on in the BP at the moment
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers