Nelson Cruz? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Nelson Cruz?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Nelson Cruz?

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:15 am

where did you get Cruz stats over the last 2 weeks? or is it his last 14/12 games exactly?
in the yahoo fantasy baseball you can check stats over the "Last Week". that address ends in a 7, but if you change that 7 in the address bar to a 14 you get the stats for the last 2 weeks. during that time the stats given for Cruz right now are- 10/33 - 5 - 3 - 7 - 2 - .303
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 103)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rookies and cream » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:58 am

Reeron wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:Ok...you want to look at batting average and strikeouts?

Andruw Jones hit .170 in June and is hitting .241 in July. In June he had 14 K's in only 16 games played.

Marlon Byrd hit .256 in June and is hitting .258 in July. In addition, he had more K's (20) than Cruz (17) in June.

Now, David Murphy is hot. He hit .296 in June and is hitting .409 in July. But for the year, he has only hit .152 against left handers. He also had more strikeouts than Cruz in June...20 to 17.

Bottom line...Cruz should be playing everyday. Murphy and Byrd should platoon in left field and Jones can DH. Murphy/Byrd can spell Andruw at DH from time to time to keep him fresh.

rookies and cream wrote:Oh, and Jones is 0-11 (and counting) since hitting those 3 HR's. I don't see him lasting in the cleanup spot.

You are right, however, they are giving him at-bats right now so they can showcase him for a possible trade (it's the only thing that makes sense as he's not been having a good season yet they keep throwing him out there). Cruz is young enough that he's in their long-term plans, Jones apparently isn't, so letting Jones play is the only way they can "up" his trade value. While he's showing any kind of ability, he will play. Or at least until the trade deadline passes. By the way Cruz is 0-fer again tonight with another strikeout. Not exactly "forcing" his way back into the everyday lineup. But relax, I already said he's a better talent than Byrd, Murphy, or Jones. He's just not playing better than they are over the last 2 weeks, so no need to compare their June stats as that has no bearing on his playing time at this point (his .200 average over the last 2 weeks does, which is lower than the other 3 guys, so it makes sense that Washington is playing the hot hand right now, or rather, he's sitting the coldest hand). Feel free to throw whatever stats you want as to why Cruz is better. It's not me you need to convince, it's Washington. So you should go talk to him, as I already stated before" Cruz is a better talent than Byrd, Murphy, or Jones". There, that makes 2 times now that I've said it.

I don't know why you feel the need to argue with me about Cruz being better, as I am only answering some of the pevious poster's questions as to why I think Cruz is currently spending more time on the bench than on the field, not stating anything about Cruz being a bad player (just that he's having a bad 2 week stretch right now), nor did I say those other guys are better players (they aren't). Somebody asked, I answered with my opinion. Sheesh.

Stats over last 14 days (via CBS search function):

Cruz - 33 AB, .303 BA, 3 HR, 7 RBI, 5 Runs, 2 SB, 8 KO
Jones - 41 AB, .195 BA, 5 HR, 11 RBI, 8 Runs, 16 KO
Murphy - 31 AB, .355 BA, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 4 Runs, 6 KO
Byrd - 46 AB, .326 BA, 4 HR, 11 RBI, 10 Runs, 9 KO

I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just pointing out the facts and why I think Ron Washington had made the wrong decision.

Do you watch the games by the way? Yes, Cruz was 0-4 last night, but one of his outs was a bullet line drive to center. Another was actually a base hit to center but was ruled a fielders choice because Byrd made a base running blunder.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby Reeron » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:10 am

Cbssports.com is where I play and get my stats. Over his last 14 games (not days) Cruz is 11-55. That's exactly a .200 batting average, but I see you were comparing days and not games. My bad.

I agree with you though. Cruz should be playing and either Byrd or Jones should be riding the pine. Murphy should be playing everyday.
Reeron
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:25 pm

rotoworld
Nelson Cruz was found to have a small fracture in his right ring finger, but the Rangers said he's available off the bench on Sunday night.
Cruz injured the finger diving into first base during Saturday's game. The hope is that he'll be back in the starting lineup on Monday.

i wonder how this effects him going forward.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Philliebuster » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:28 pm

oh shizznit, me don't like the sound of this, anyone have any local news to share, updates?
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AdvRider » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:09 am

SpecialFNK wrote:in the yahoo fantasy baseball you can check stats over the "Last Week". that address ends in a 7, but if you change that 7 in the address bar to a 14 you get the stats for the last 2 weeks.

Sorry for the off-topic post, just hadda say thanks for tip! ;-D I never knew that. Very cool.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:39 pm

has there been any word recently on his finger?
in the last week he is 4 for 12 with 3 R/ 1 RBI/ 4 SB. i guess it cant be bothering him too bad?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates