Nelson Cruz? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Nelson Cruz?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Nelson Cruz?

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:54 am

And BOOM goes the dynamite...nice game from Nelson and a deserved nod as a replacement on the All Star Team. Hopefully Ron Washington starts to smell what he's cookin'...
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:19 am

the guy who does write ups for rotoworld.com is a moron. in the write up for Nelson Cruz last night this is what he has to say..
Nelson Cruz was 2-for-3 with a two-run homer in a win over the Mariners on Friday night.
The newly-named All-Star sat out three straight games leading into Friday's action. Even though he has 21 homers and 52 RBI, remember that most of them came in April and May. If the poor production continues, manager Ron Washington may continue to opt for Andruw Jones or David Murphy.

poor production? despite missing 3 games in a row, over the last 2 weeks his numbers are- 10/29, 5 R, 3 HR, 7 RBI, 2 SB, .345 AVG.
i loved seeing Andruw Jones going 0 for again. like a volcano he had his explosion and now hes done.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby kage812004 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:27 am

he was seriously going to sit a 4th night in a row?? I honestly dont get this?? he has been in my lineup all week, glad it finally paid off last night with a 2 run shot.
GO SOX!! GO PATS!!
kage812004
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Seatownfavorite » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:22 pm

I think they are trying to showcase Andruw Jones for a trade, problem is I don't think anybody is interested and they are leading the division.
Seatownfavorite
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Reeron » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:52 pm

Before last night's homerun:

Cruz is limping into the break, hitting .188 (9 for 48) with two home runs and two stolen bases over his last 12 games.

Combine that with the fact that Jones, Blalock, and Byrd are hitting better right now and you have your reason(s). Yes, he's on pace for roughly 40 homers and 100 rbi, but when he's not homering he's a blackhole in the lineup. That kind of streakiness will see him sitting at times while he's cold and others are not. Sorry guys, but real-world stats aren't just homeruns, rbi, and slugging percentage. Batting average (remember just a couple of weeks ago he was around .300 - well before last night's game he was at .262), strikeouts, and GDPs count too and will cost him ballgames if he doesn't improve in those areas. That's just the sad truth of real baseball versus fantasty baseball. Yes, he's a way better talent than Byrd, Murphy, or Jones but he's just too cold right now to be forced into the lineup while others are still producing. Once the 2nd half starts he will be back in the lineup again (where you can see his extreme streakiness all over again for the last 70 or so games).
Last edited by Reeron on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reeron
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:19 pm

Ok...you want to look at batting average and strikeouts?

Andruw Jones hit .170 in June and is hitting .241 in July. In June he had 14 K's in only 16 games played.

Marlon Byrd hit .256 in June and is hitting .258 in July. In addition, he had more K's (20) than Cruz (17) in June.

Now, David Murphy is hot. He hit .296 in June and is hitting .409 in July. But for the year, he has only hit .152 against left handers. He also had more strikeouts than Cruz in June...20 to 17.

Bottom line...Cruz should be playing everyday. Murphy and Byrd should platoon in left field and Jones can DH. Murphy/Byrd can spell Andruw at DH from time to time to keep him fresh.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby kage812004 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:14 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Ok...you want to look at batting average and strikeouts?

Andruw Jones hit .170 in June and is hitting .241 in July. In June he had 14 K's in only 16 games played.

Marlon Byrd hit .256 in June and is hitting .258 in July. In addition, he had more K's (20) than Cruz (17) in June.

Now, David Murphy is hot. He hit .296 in June and is hitting .409 in July. But for the year, he has only hit .152 against left handers. He also had more strikeouts than Cruz in June...20 to 17.

Bottom line...Cruz should be playing everyday. Murphy and Byrd should platoon in left field and Jones can DH. Murphy/Byrd can spell Andruw at DH from time to time to keep him fresh.

BINGO!!
GO SOX!! GO PATS!!
kage812004
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cashish25 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:59 pm

Yea I took over an awful last place team from last year and I am making quite a run...getting guys like kemp and Cruz preseason and then pickin up Zobrist...but i would like to bounce torre and washingtons heads together...atleast kemp plays every day tho
cashish25
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:53 pm

Oh, and Jones is 0-11 (and counting) since hitting those 3 HR's. I don't see him lasting in the cleanup spot.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Reeron » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:17 am

rookies and cream wrote:Ok...you want to look at batting average and strikeouts?

rookies and cream wrote:Oh, and Jones is 0-11 (and counting) since hitting those 3 HR's. I don't see him lasting in the cleanup spot.

You are right, however, they are giving him at-bats right now so they can showcase him for a possible trade (it's the only thing that makes sense as he's not been having a good season yet they keep throwing him out there). Cruz is young enough that he's in their long-term plans, Jones apparently isn't, so letting Jones play is the only way they can "up" his trade value. While he's showing any kind of ability, he will play. Or at least until the trade deadline passes. By the way Cruz is 0-fer again tonight with another strikeout. Not exactly "forcing" his way back into the everyday lineup. But relax, I already said he's a better talent than Byrd, Murphy, or Jones. He's just not playing better than they are over the last 2 weeks, so no need to compare their June stats as that has no bearing on his playing time at this point (his .200 average over the last 2 weeks does, which is lower than the other 3 guys, so it makes sense that Washington is playing the hot hand right now, or rather, he's sitting the coldest hand). Feel free to throw whatever stats you want as to why Cruz is better. It's not me you need to convince, it's Washington. So you should go talk to him, as I already stated before" Cruz is a better talent than Byrd, Murphy, or Jones". There, that makes 2 times now that I've said it.

I don't know why you feel the need to argue with me about Cruz being better, as I am only answering some of the pevious poster's questions as to why I think Cruz is currently spending more time on the bench than on the field, not stating anything about Cruz being a bad player (just that he's having a bad 2 week stretch right now), nor did I say those other guys are better players (they aren't). Somebody asked, I answered with my opinion. Sheesh.
Reeron
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates