Mark Derosa traded to the Cards for Chris Perez & a PTBNL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mark Derosa traded to the Cards for Chris Perez & a PTBNL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mark Derosa traded to the Cards for Chris Perez & a PTBNL

Postby RynoDyno » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:26 pm

didn't see this posted yet

rotoworld:

According to MLB.com's official Twitter account, the Cardinals have acquired Mark DeRosa for RHP Chris Perez and a player to be named later.
DeRosa was curiously held out of Saturday's lineup and was seen on the phone for a long period of time just before first pitch. The PTBNL will be crucial, but, as it stands, it seems the Indians got the short end of this deal. Perez is a top relief prospect, but DeRosa is one of the more versatile position players in the game and fits very well into the Cardinals' system. Plus, his bat isn't too shabby. The 34-year-old was hitting .270/.342/.457 with 13 home runs and 50 RBI in 278 at-bats for the Indians. Jun. 27 - 10:59 pm et
DaSh 1s wrote:PS how do u not want to cup the best player in baseball's sack?

ewwww
RynoDyno
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mark Derosa traded to the Cards for Chris Perez & a PTBNL

Postby neoforce » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:34 pm

It was posted to the closer thread, with speculation if Perez becomes the #2 behind wood. But as the first significant trade of the season, it is worth its own thread here.

For those of us in NL only leagues, it will be interesting to see how much FAAB $$ will be bid on DeRosa. In NL only, 2B is very weak. Utley, Phillips, Uggla are cleary the top three. DeRosa fits in the same tier as solid NL only starters Lopez, Barmes, Hudson, Matsui, Sanchez and Schumaker.

So this trade will cause some scrambling in NL only leagues.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby chem » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:13 am

I'm in an NL-Only league on ESPN. On ESPN, DeRosa has 2B, 3B and OF eligibility. So he can plug virtually any spot on your roster. I have #1 waiver. Anything better supposed to be coming from the AL? I think it may be time to use it. Pretty much an everyday 800 OPS player with some HR power who should be batting in the top half of the Cards' lineup.
chem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JMB05 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:34 am

chem wrote:I'm in an NL-Only league on ESPN. On ESPN, DeRosa has 2B, 3B and OF eligibility. So he can plug virtually any spot on your roster. I have #1 waiver. Anything better supposed to be coming from the AL? I think it may be time to use it. Pretty much an everyday 800 OPS player with some HR power who should be batting in the top half of the Cards' lineup.

I think Matt Holliday might be a better choice, but not a lock for the NL. Tough choice.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby chem » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:47 am

JMB05 wrote:
chem wrote:I'm in an NL-Only league on ESPN. On ESPN, DeRosa has 2B, 3B and OF eligibility. So he can plug virtually any spot on your roster. I have #1 waiver. Anything better supposed to be coming from the AL? I think it may be time to use it. Pretty much an everyday 800 OPS player with some HR power who should be batting in the top half of the Cards' lineup.

I think Matt Holliday might be a better choice, but not a lock for the NL. Tough choice.

Yeah, the latest rumor before the DeRosa trade was that the Cards were making a run at Holliday. That probably won't happen now (losing too much farm system, not that much extra salary to take on, etc). So I'm not sure who would get Holliday in the NL. ATL already made their big OF buy with prospects. CIN and CHI are already stacked up with OF players, but... maybe. SF, maybe but no rumors there. FLA is unlikely ($). NYM would be a great fit right now, but they're so injury crippled, can they give up the farm depth?

And of course, an AL team may get him too.
chem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:47 am

chem wrote:
JMB05 wrote:

Yeah, the latest rumor before the DeRosa trade was that the Cards were making a run at Holliday. That probably won't happen now (losing too much farm system, not that much extra salary to take on, etc). So I'm not sure who would get Holliday in the NL. ATL already made their big OF buy with prospects. CIN and CHI are already stacked up with BAD OF players, but... maybe. SF, maybe but no rumors there. FLA is unlikely ($). NYM would be a great fit right now, but they're so injury crippled, can they give up the farm depth?

And of course, an AL team may get him too.

I corrected it a bit, if you don't mind.
And as Cubs fan I hate this trade. Cards get a good player to address a need.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JTWood » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:01 am

Yay! I like this trade. ;-D

So where does DeRosa play? 3B? If 2B, what happens to Schumaker, and does this mean one of our OF is heading out the door?

Related: What's with Cleveland taking our underperforming prospects?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:13 am

JTWood wrote:Related: What's with Cleveland taking our underperforming prospects?

They regret signing Kerry Wood and pretty much the rest of their bullpen. ;-7
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:45 am

JTWood wrote:Yay! I like this trade. ;-D

So where does DeRosa play? 3B? If 2B, what happens to Schumaker, and does this mean one of our OF is heading out the door?

Related: What's with Cleveland taking our underperforming prospects?

I say 3B. If by some miracle Glaus comes back DeRosa can more to 2B.

Depending on the PTBNL I like this deal for the Cards.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby StlSluggers » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:58 am

3B seems the logical spot to me, too.

What's this do to the lineup? I'd think DeRosa would bat ahead of Albert vs. righties with Skip continuing to lead off. Would Tony actually bat him leadoff against lefties? We've long needed someone to fill that role. Or is our power need against lefties so voluminous that he slots in DeRosa after Albert?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers