Anyone Know Anything About Car Audio? UPDATED - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anyone Know Anything About Car Audio? UPDATED

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Anyone Know Anything About Car Audio?

Postby sox 06 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:35 pm

TheRock wrote:
sox 06 wrote:So would that amp just power the speakers and I would keep the amp in the trunk to power the subs? This might be a dumb queston but would my car's stock battery system be able to handle both amps?


Right, so you would add another amp for the front and rear speakers and keep your subwoofer setup as is. Wouldn't be a problem for your existing battery and alternator.

Alright, I've been looking at some speakers and have come across these. Are they close to what I should be getting? Too much power? Not enough power? Just right? I took out one of the stock speakers and I see what you mean about the surrounding of the speaker cavity. Will these be a problem installing? I don't mind taking a saw to make the hole bigger if needed }:-) I can get them brand new off of ebay for $70.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 4425
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone Know Anything About Car Audio?

Postby TheRock » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:24 pm

sox 06 wrote:Alright, I've been looking at some speakers and have come across these. Are they close to what I should be getting? Too much power? Not enough power? Just right? I took out one of the stock speakers and I see what you mean about the surrounding of the speaker cavity. Will these be a problem installing? I don't mind taking a saw to make the hole bigger if needed }:-) I can get them brand new off of ebay for $70.


Those will do nicely. You will almost certainly need to 'customize' your door, and make sure you feed them a good amount of power.
Image
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3055
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 16 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: America's Heartland

Re: Anyone Know Anything About Car Audio?

Postby sox 06 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:59 am

I bought those RF speakers and they should be arriving today. If I am going to amp them, what will I need? What kind/type of wires? I know that you know Civics pretty good so could you guess about how much wiring I might need? Again, thanks for all of the help TheRock ;-D
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 4425
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone Know Anything About Car Audio?

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:34 am

Hey I don't want to hijack either but I've been thinking about upgrading my stock system as well. I have a 2007 SS Impala that came with a stock Bose surround sound system, it actually doesn't sound too bad. I want to keep the stock deck but I want to add a sub...can I do this? I don't really want to overhaul the entire system just beef it up a little. thoughts car audio gurus?

never mind I guess. :,-(

:-B
Last edited by Metroid on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFootball Mod
Posts: 5207
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living vicariously through myself.

Re: Anyone Know Anything About Car Audio?

Postby TheRock » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:58 am

sox 06 wrote:I bought those RF speakers and they should be arriving today. If I am going to amp them, what will I need? What kind/type of wires? I know that you know Civics pretty good so could you guess about how much wiring I might need? Again, thanks for all of the help TheRock ;-D


Awesome, those are some sweet speakers. You replacing just the front for now, or front & back?

To install this whole mess, you will need:
- speakers
- speaker wire (good quality)
- RCA patch cables (about 6 feet if amp will be under front seat, 12 or 15 if if the trunk area somewhere. Under the rear deck works well...)
- power and ground wire. If you went with say this amp, it recommends 4 gauge wire. If you put it under the front seat, you would need ~10 feet each black and red. Connect the red directly to your battery, I usually ground the black either back to the battery or at least to the engine compartment somewhere. Grounding to the frame where mounted can create a noise problem.

I can give you more detailed instructions later if you want, gotta get back to work for now...
Image
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3055
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 16 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: America's Heartland

Re: Anyone Know Anything About Car Audio?

Postby sox 06 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:11 am

TheRock wrote:
sox 06 wrote:I bought those RF speakers and they should be arriving today. If I am going to amp them, what will I need? What kind/type of wires? I know that you know Civics pretty good so could you guess about how much wiring I might need? Again, thanks for all of the help TheRock ;-D


Awesome, those are some sweet speakers. You replacing just the front for now, or front & back?

To install this whole mess, you will need:
- speakers
- speaker wire (good quality)
- RCA patch cables (about 6 feet if amp will be under front seat, 12 or 15 if if the trunk area somewhere. Under the rear deck works well...)
- power and ground wire. If you went with say this amp, it recommends 4 gauge wire. If you put it under the front seat, you would need ~10 feet each black and red. Connect the red directly to your battery, I usually ground the black either back to the battery or at least to the engine compartment somewhere. Grounding to the frame where mounted can create a noise problem.

I can give you more detailed instructions later if you want, gotta get back to work for now...

Just what I needed to know ;-D I'm just replacing the front speakers right now and I was thinking of just running the back speakers off of the deck and not the amp, would that make sense? Or should I just amp all four speakers? Also, is it alright to buy a used amp off of ebay? They have quite a few 400 watt, 4-channel amps for under $200.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 4425
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone Know Anything About Car Audio?

Postby TheRock » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:13 pm

From the "Ain't The Internet Grand" department...

All this car audio talk got me thinking about my old buddy who first introduced me to rockin' car stereos. Haven't seen or heard from him since I left Denver in 1996. We used to work together, car stereos were his hobby. Every year he would build a new system for competition, then he'd part it out and sell it to help cover the cost of his next system. I bought my first subs from him that way. He was a real perfectionist in creating the truest sound, no rattly booming 18" subs from him. Taught me everything I know, most of which I've since forgotten.

So I figured I'd google him and see if I could find out what he's been up to. Found him mentioned here, the 2007 IASCA World Finals. He won the sound quality competition in the Ultimate Expert class. This site has pictures from the event. That's him in the middle. Surely some of those pics are of his car but some @#$% didn't label them. I'll see if I can find him on Facebook or something and get some pics of his work. It was spectacular 12 years ago, can't imagine what he's been up to lately.

<edit> Seek and ye shall find.
Image
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3055
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 16 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: America's Heartland

Re: Anyone Know Anything About Car Audio?

Postby sox 06 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:21 pm

TheRock wrote:From the "Ain't The Internet Grand" department...

All this car audio talk got me thinking about my old buddy who first introduced me to rockin' car stereos. Haven't seen or heard from him since I left Denver in 1996. We used to work together, car stereos were his hobby. Every year he would build a new system for competition, then he'd part it out and sell it to help cover the cost of his next system. I bought my first subs from him that way. He was a real perfectionist in creating the truest sound, no rattly booming 18" subs from him. Taught me everything I know, most of which I've since forgotten.

So I figured I'd google him and see if I could find out what he's been up to. Found him mentioned here, the 2007 IASCA World Finals. He won the sound quality competition in the Ultimate Expert class. This site has pictures from the event. That's him in the middle. Surely some of those pics are of his car but some @#$% didn't label them. I'll see if I can find him on Facebook or something and get some pics of his work. It was spectacular 12 years ago, can't imagine what he's been up to lately.

<edit> Seek and ye shall find.

http://www.caraudiomag.com/events/caep_ ... to_08.html :-L

Oh and that factory hole where the front speakers go in my Civic is an absolute pain in the rear. I cut out most of the plastic where the magnet of the speaker goes, but the outer ring/depression where the edge of the speaker goes in isn't quite 6.5 inches. Its about an 1/8 of an inch smaller :-t
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 4425
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone Know Anything About Car Audio?

Postby TheRock » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:23 am

sox 06 wrote:Oh and that factory hole where the front speakers go in my Civic is an absolute pain in the rear. I cut out most of the plastic where the magnet of the speaker goes, but the outer ring/depression where the edge of the speaker goes in isn't quite 6.5 inches. Its about an 1/8 of an inch smaller :-t


That is an absolute beast of a speaker. Last Civic I owned was a '97, I think I had some Kenwood 6 1/2" 3-ways in there, about 100W speakers as I recall. Tight fit with those, I can see those Fosgates being a challenge. Post a pic of what you're dealing with, maybe there's a way around it.

More things to think about re: installation. You'll definitely want an amp. A good amp. Buying a speaker like that and running it off the factory head unit is like hooking your Blu-Ray player up to a 13 inch black and white. If it were me, I would run front and rear off one 4 channel amp. Where you decide to put it might come into play in terms of how much an amp you can get away with. You can fit a pretty good sized amp under your passenger seat, or you can mount it in back under the rear deck (assuming you have the sedan or coupe). If you put it in the back you're not so restricted on size. If you decide to go front seat, you might consider buying locally so you can swap if your first choice just doesn't fit.

Let's assume you go with one 4 channel amp for now, and find something that fits under the seat. Here's your to-do list:
1. Get the amp in place. Piece of cake. The seat is held down by 4 bolts. Lean it all the way forward and lift it out.
2. Run power and ground wires. Find some heavy wire. Likely 4 gauge if you're using a hefty amp. And buy both black and red to help you tell them apart. Not worth frying components to save a couple of bucks. They probably should have used that when they wired your sub amp. So maybe you can patch into their connections. There should be a small opening in the firewall just behind the glove compartment. Might have to knock out a plastic plug. I would run your power cable straight from the battery, and your ground straight back to it. Here again, I would expect to see something like that already in place for your existing amp. Getting it to the seat unseen: across the door threshold there's a plate held down by screws. The rest of the carpet is held in place by occasional friction clips. Leave the carpet up, you'll need to run more stuff there.
3. Get the signal from your head unit to the amp. Get some good RCA cables. 6 feet should reach under the seat. You'll need to take the dash apart enough to get at your head unit. There's a console of some kind between the seats, this should come out too. Run the RCAs from the stereo under the carpet to the amp. Label front and back.
3a. Run a remote turn-on wire This follows the same path as your RCAs, might as run it at the same time. 18 or 16 gauge wire is fine here. Blue is the universal color for this, but not required. Your Sony manual says the amp turn-on wire is blue with a white stripe. Should already be in use.
4. Run speaker wire to all speakers. Here's the fun one. These have to weave around so much they take a pretty long piece of wire for each one. Don't buy the cheapest stuff you can find, get some pretty heavy wire here. Weave it around under your dash to the front of each door. There will already be a clump of wires running into the door, follow that path. If you do the back too, same principles apply. Take stuff out till the carpet comes up, run the wire underneath it. The back seat is held down by one bolt right in the middle.

High powered systems are more susceptible to noise, you're amplifying any sound in the system. Essentially what you'll hear is the whine of your alternator. Most likely cause of this is signal wires (speaker wire, RCA cables) picking up even the slightest bit of current from your power wires. So try to keep them apart. If you find the power cable running to your subwoofer amp, run your speaker wire somewhere else. Noise can also come from grounding problems. If you ground everything back to the battery or the frame in the engine compartment you should be good.
Image
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3055
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 16 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: America's Heartland

Re: Anyone Know Anything About Car Audio?

Postby sox 06 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:22 am

This is golden stuff that makes this whole thing seem a lot less intimidating than it did at first. Thanks much TheRock ;-D

I'm going to tackle installing the speakers again tonight. I don't have the amp/wires yet so I'm going to install the speakers and run them off the head unit right now and get the amp/wires very soon (I'm not someone who likes to wait for things :-D ). My head unit is a Sony which says that its a 52X4 watt model, is that good? I wanted to take a picture of the speaker hole, but I put the stock one back in last night so I could go use my car today. However, I found this video on Youtube and its exactly what I'm dealing with. I don't think getting the grill to cover the speaker will be a problem with my car. I'm pretty sure I can shave the plastic housing down just enough to get the speaker to fit in the circular depression.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 4425
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact