Anyone Know Anything About Car Audio? UPDATED - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anyone Know Anything About Car Audio? UPDATED

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone Know Anything About Car Audio? UPDATED

Postby sox 06 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:10 pm

I had two 12 inch Rockford Fosgate subs installed in my car back in September. I didn't feel like spending the money on replacing the facotry speakers inside of the car (front door panels and in the back deck) but now I would like to replace those speakers. However, I have no clue what type of speakers to buy. Should I get two, three or four-way speakers? Example: Should I get say three-way for the front panels and two-way for the back deck? Also, do I really need to wire these speakers to an amp to have them sound good? I don't think my current amp has the correct number of ports to run both the subs and the speakers.

Current Setup:
-Alpine CDE-102 CD Deck
-Custom Built Ported Box
-TwoRockford Fosgate P3 Subs
-One Rockford Fosgate T500-1bd amp
Last edited by sox 06 on Sun May 23, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone Know Anything About Car Audio?

Postby TheRock » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:38 pm

Holy @#$%, that is one serious set of subs you got. ;-D

Problem is, they are probably burying the rest of your system. A separate amp is going to be a must - if I'm reading the specs right, your current one is a single channel. Look for either two good 2-channel amps, or a single 4-channel. Probably better sound if you add 2 more amps, and easier to install that way imo. And I'd make that a higher priority than replacing the speakers. Unless they're absolute dog-squeeze, which they may be, running the factory speakers off a good amp will sound better than upgraded speakers using the head-unit.

In terms of speakers, this is one area where you don't necessarily want to just go listen to some at the store and pick ones that sound good. How they sound in the demo room is nothing like they'll sound in your car. Buy a quality speaker rated for a good amount of power. And ideally you want an amp that will slightly over-drive them. I.e. feed 125 watts to a 100 watt speaker. If your car will allow it, you'll get better "imaging" if you can get a component system (tweeters mounted higher on the door). Something like this maybe?

I don't personally pay much attention to rear speakers. In theory, they're only there for "rear-fill", you shouldn't actually hear them. Buy a decent set of speakers and I'm sure you'll be happy.

What's you plan for installation? Two concerns: running that much power makes your system more susceptible to engine noise, and you want to make sure you get enough power to your amp(s). Running new good-quality speaker wire to all speakers is a must, don't use the factory wiring harness. You'll need to make sure you get a strand of 10 or 8 gauge wire to each amp, maybe thicker than that even. And I would run a ground back to the engine compartment.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby sox 06 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:36 am

Thanks for the advice TheRock ;-D

I have had quite a few compliments about my system. The current speakers are stock 1998 Honda Civic speakers so I'm sure they're nothing too special. As far as my plan for the install, I'm not too sure right now. I don't know a ton about car systems and my knowledge isn't advanced enough to install a component system (at least I don't think it is). The only reason I'm a bit reluctant to get a second or another amp is because I paid $500 for the one that I have and I really haven't had it that long. How hard is it to run new speaker wire? One of my Dad's friends knows quite a bit about this kind of stuff as does one of my buddies so they could defientily help me out.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TheRock » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:07 pm

Oh, you've got a Honda Civic? I've owned 5 Hondas over the years, basically transfer my system every time I switch.

I can tell you the front doors aren't very accommodating. They have a shell surrounding the speaker mount, so they won't accept a very thick speaker. Which is bad. A better speaker will have a huge magnet on the back and will be pretty thick. You might find specs online about what speakers will fit the opening. You're probably looking at a cheaper 5 1/4" rather than a 6 1/2". Which will hurt your mid-bass. If you're willing, you can 'modify' your car to accept any size speaker you want. Just takes about 20 minutes and a utility knife. ;-)

Meander on over to http://www.crutchfield.com. They're the do-it-yourself superstore for car audio. You'll find everything you need to know about installing your own system, and they sell really good stuff at really good prices. You can call their help line as much as you need for any kind of assistance with anything you bought there.

Seriously, I think the best bang for your buck is more power. Get yourself a 4 channel amp bridgeable to 2. Something like this. You will instantly be amazed at the sound, and you can bridge this one to just drive the front or back if you choose to add another one later. Check the dimensions, I know I used to fit a pretty beefy 4 channel amp under the passenger seat. Let me know if you decide to do it yourself, that's one car I can tell you how to take completely apart.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sox 06 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:33 pm

TheRock wrote:Oh, you've got a Honda Civic? I've owned 5 Hondas over the years, basically transfer my system every time I switch.

I can tell you the front doors aren't very accommodating. They have a shell surrounding the speaker mount, so they won't accept a very thick speaker. Which is bad. A better speaker will have a huge magnet on the back and will be pretty thick. You might find specs online about what speakers will fit the opening. You're probably looking at a cheaper 5 1/4" rather than a 6 1/2". Which will hurt your mid-bass. If you're willing, you can 'modify' your car to accept any size speaker you want. Just takes about 20 minutes and a utility knife. ;-)

Meander on over to http://www.crutchfield.com. They're the do-it-yourself superstore for car audio. You'll find everything you need to know about installing your own system, and they sell really good stuff at really good prices. You can call their help line as much as you need for any kind of assistance with anything you bought there.

Seriously, I think the best bang for your buck is more power. Get yourself a 4 channel amp bridgeable to 2. Something like this. You will instantly be amazed at the sound, and you can bridge this one to just drive the front or back if you choose to add another one later. Check the dimensions, I know I used to fit a pretty beefy 4 channel amp under the passenger seat. Let me know if you decide to do it yourself, that's one car I can tell you how to take completely apart.

So would that amp just power the speakers and I would keep the amp in the trunk to power the subs? This might be a dumb queston but would my car's stock battery system be able to handle both amps?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:35 pm

Not to hijack this thread at all, but I was looking at getting a custom system for my 1998 Jeep Wrangler. Anybody have any suggestions as to how to go about this?
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby TheRock » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:30 pm

sox 06 wrote:So would that amp just power the speakers and I would keep the amp in the trunk to power the subs? This might be a dumb queston but would my car's stock battery system be able to handle both amps?

Right, so you would add another amp for the front and rear speakers and keep your subwoofer setup as is. Wouldn't be a problem for your existing battery and alternator.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:32 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Not to hijack this thread at all, but I was looking at getting a custom system for my 1998 Jeep Wrangler. Anybody have any suggestions as to how to go about this?

'98 Jeep Wrangler? Kudos on hanging on to that in good working order all those years. :-°

I'm not really a car audio expert, let alone in knowing the best acoustics for a Jeep, but I'd go to an Al and Ed's Autosound and get some opinions perhaps.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby TheRock » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:39 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Not to hijack this thread at all, but I was looking at getting a custom system for my 1998 Jeep Wrangler. Anybody have any suggestions as to how to go about this?

I'm not as familiar with the layout of a jeep. My brother used to own one, and as I recall you're somewhat limited in what you'll be able to do. I don't think he even had a good place to put any rear speakers. You could still put in a nice system. Probably room under the seat for an amp to drive the front speakers. Something removable is probably best for the subs if you ever had the top off. Look at a Bazooka tube.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:54 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
'98 Jeep Wrangler? Kudos on hanging on to that in good working order all those years. :-°

It's in great shape as I only really drive it during the summer.

I was actually looking at a bazooka tube.....maybe I should just get one then.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Next

Return to General Talk