Cafe Positional Rankings: Week 12 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Cafe Positional Rankings: Week 12

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Cafe Positional Rankings: Week 12

Postby WebHamster » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:41 pm

This thread contains comments on the Cafe's "Cafe Positional Rankings: Week 12", which was posted in the Cafe's Player Rankings section by R.J. White on June 25, 2009. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 402)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cafe Positional Rankings: Week 12

Postby Treebeard's Nuts » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:19 pm

This caught my eye:

Tommy Hanson dropped from 40 to 41 a week after beating both the soxs and yanks with a 0.00 era and a 1.15 whip? :-S
Twelve equals a dozen...Get it right bakers!
-- Stephen Colbert
Treebeard's Nuts
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby daullaz » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:09 pm

We submitted our rankings Tuesday (before the Yanks game). They were edited Wednesday and up on Thursday.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Geek » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:32 am

What's the thinking for ranking Jimmy Rollins ahead of Derek Jeter, who has VASTLY superior numbers in not one, not two, not three, but all five categories?

Alexei Ramirez and Troy Tulowitzki have been much better than Rollins as well.

The logic of putting the worst hitting shortstop in the major leagues as the #2 ranked SS for fantasy is a real puzzler.

Over the past month, Rollins has had less fantasy value than . . . Bobby Crosby.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby daullaz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:55 am

Our rankings are meant to be for the rest of the season, as opposed to rankings players based solely on what's happened so far, so players that we feel will bounce back get ranked higher than they might deserve. I believe Rollins is still sitting at 2 because the gap between him and the next SSs in the preseason was so large. I moved him down to 3 in my personal rankings last week, and after being benched for a few games this week, I think I'm going to move him down a few more spots.

I'm well aware of how bad Rollins has been, suffering through his performance on one of my main teams. FWIW, [url="http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=971&position=SS"]ZiPS is still optimistic[/url], giving him 10 HRs and 18 SBs from this point on.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Geek » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:01 pm

Hrmmm, that power number seems high (hasn't hit more than 3 HR in a month since 2007) and that SB total seems low. Anyhow, thanks for responding.

P.S. I would feel pretty confident that Jeter, Alexei Ramirez, and Tulo all get rated ahead of him going into 2010 drafts, given that his best case scenario for full season stats would still be a regression to 2003-2004 levels of performance.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby daullaz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:38 pm

Geek wrote:Hrmmm, that power number seems high (hasn't hit more than 3 HR in a month since 2007) and that SB total seems low. Anyhow, thanks for responding.

P.S. I would feel pretty confident that Jeter, Alexei Ramirez, and Tulo all get rated ahead of him going into 2010 drafts, given that his best case scenario for full season stats would still be a regression to 2003-2004 levels of performance.

I'd agree with that. Barring a huge comeback, I'd rather have any of those three than Rollins next year.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

Postby Treebeard's Nuts » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:17 pm

daullaz wrote:We submitted our rankings Tuesday (before the Yanks game). They were edited Wednesday and up on Thursday.

Makes sense than...Thank you for the response. ;-D
Twelve equals a dozen...Get it right bakers!
-- Stephen Colbert
Treebeard's Nuts
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Article Discussions